Saturday's Referee

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
He totally stuffed up a very promising 3-on-3 break we had in the 2nd half by blowing up for a useless free kick in our own half. Macked me right off that did, he only had to keep the whistle out of his gob for another second to see that we were away and bearing down on them. It wasn't even much of a foul, he didn't bother booking the perp.

Other than that I've seen worse I suppose.

Was that when we'd just pinged the ball out to the east side for Rosenior to run onto? That wound me up as well. Absolute nothing foul and should have been left to play on.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have to say I was expecting worse and that's despite the fact I tweeted criticising him at half time. I think I did it because he is such an ANNOYING referee. Far too harsh with his yellow cards, very bad at playing advantage, poor interpretation of foot up (I KNEW he was going to blow up for our attempted overhead) and generally makes it all about HIM. He didn't cost us, I have seen much worse at the Amex but the conclusion had to be that he is to refereeing what I am to ballroom dancing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Was that when we'd just pinged the ball out to the east side for Rosenior to run onto? That wound me up as well. Absolute nothing foul and should have been left to play on.

Yup, that was the one (I think Stephens played the ball and was fouled).

Hooper hadn't been centre of attention for a few minutes though, so I guess it was due.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
He totally stuffed up a very promising 3-on-3 break we had in the 2nd half by blowing up for a useless free kick in our own half. Macked me right off that did, he only had to keep the whistle out of his gob for another second to see that we were away and bearing down on them. It wasn't even much of a foul, he didn't bother booking the perp.

Other than that I've seen worse I suppose.

He'd played adv to them a min earlier then pulled it back for a free kick & booking when it came to nowt

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Hemed nearly took the guys head off, definite free kick. I was probably 25yards away looking straight at it on a similar eye level. Strange thing was the defender seemed to hardly notice!

His cards were iffy but the rest of the time I hardly noticed him.

He didn't notice because he was too slow getting there and the kick was away before he got there ie not dangerous

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Slightly inconsistent, but no worse than others. It's the first time I have ever, in recent years seen the officials warming up individually on different parts of the pitch. They usually give a good impression of a synchronised swimming team, doing a poolside warm up. So nobody wanted to be associated with Hoops, as there were FL representatives attending for the memorial.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I am always quick to stand up for referees, I rarely allow my status as a fan to cloud my judgement (I.e. Don't generally yell at every decision that goes against U.S. and cheer the ones that go for us). But I found myself cussing one particular foul he gave that was never in a million years a foul. That I felt so shocked by the decision I swore, is an indication of how bad it was.

Having said that, he wasn't as bad as I expected. Inconsistent with bookings and fouls.

I suspect after the fuss over his decision in the palace match, he will be calling every overhead kick a foul.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Not as bad as usual, but still made a bunch of 'look at me' decisions. **** **** ****

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Not as bad as usual, but still made a bunch of 'look at me' decisions. **** **** ****

That was my overall impression of him: "Hi everybody-welcome to the Hoops show".

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
He'd played adv to them a min earlier then pulled it back for a free kick & booking when it came to nowt
That was the worst thing he did. The booking was for a challenge that stopped us making a fast counter attack, but he then stopped us from continuing the same counter attack (by taking the quick free kick) to book the Hull player - meanwhile, they got 10 men behind the ball.

Other than that he was ok, and consistent with bookings etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports