Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saturday Night Boxing - Eubank Jr Vs Blackwell

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Agree with all of the above posts, the fight was all but over after the first few rounds. I even thought to myself at the time, with all the head punches Eubank was throwing, that Blackwell could end up seriously hurt.

Blackwell is certainly a brave fighter, but as others have said, either the referee, or Bl;ackwell's own corner, should have stepped in and ended it earlier.

Ironic too, that the reason the fight was eventually stopped was for nothing more serious than a badly cut eye, which can easily be stitched up. A bleed on the brain of course, can't.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Horrible news, I hope he's ok.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BJS showed his class as a traveller on last nights TV and coupled with Tyson Fury they wonder why people dont like them.

Incidentally did CH 5 cancel the rest of the fights last night or dud it ckntinue and they just not show it as son was recording it and it stopped recording.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
BJS showed his class as a traveller on last nights TV and coupled with Tyson Fury they wonder why people dont like them. Incidentally did CH 5 cancel the rest of the fights last night or dud it ckntinue and they just not show it as son was recording it and it stopped recordjng.
I think they called the last fight off, the doctor travelled with Blackwell in the ambulance.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
BJS showed his class as a traveller on last nights TV and coupled with Tyson Fury they wonder why people dont like them.

Incidentally did CH 5 cancel the rest of the fights last night or dud it ckntinue and they just not show it as son was recording it and it stopped recording.

Yes. Hughie Fury got his fight won on points. He won every round.

I think Tyson Fury may have found his true talent in the the Hughie Fury fight too.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I was a Saunders fan but last night made me question him big time.

Always thought Fury was a total c*nt.

Reading tweets from Fury's family last night regarding the fights being called off was sickening, no class whatsoever, no wonder the perception of travellers is what it is.

Blackwell will never box again, such a shame, really really hope he pulls through without any serious injury.

With regards to his corner or the ref calling the fight earlier, it was such a tough one as Blackwell was taking such damage, but still totally alert and boxing back.
He wasn't in a daze or unable to defend himself, he was just picked out by a better boxer with devastating force.

Fingers crossed for him, such a shame his career has ended 10+ years too early. Hopefully that's the worst that's come of this.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I think the last fight was cancelled when they realised the extent of Blackwell's injury.

I totally agree re Billy Joe Saunders, the remarks he made whilst being inteerviewed, showed him up for what he is. It made me smile inwardly when he said that Eubank Jr wasn't a very good fighter, and that Blackwell would win by a knockout. Richie Woodhall, with infinitly more knowledge and class, said quietly, no, Eubank will win on points.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Bleed on the skull and in a coma .

He's in a "medically induced coma" which gives the brain the opportunity to rest which makes the swelling more likely to decrease. When the swelling decreases, pressure on the brain is reduced, which lessens the chance of brain damage.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
In addition to my post above, I was really surprised, when on more than one occasion, the commentator said, this fight is too close to call, when for my money at least, Eubank won pretty much every round, and was ahead by a country mile, by the time the referee finally stopped it.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
In addition to my post above, I was really surprised, when on more than one occasion, the commentator said, this fight is too close to call, when for my money at least, Eubank won pretty much every round, and was ahead by a country mile, by the time the referee finally stopped it.

I thought Eubank was 7 rounds up when they called it off.

Imo, drawn the first, Blackwell the second, then Jr took every round from then on.
Commentators saying the fight being close was ridiculous, maybe in the first 2 rounds, but after that it was a walk over.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I’ve re-listened to Eubank Sr’s comments and advice to his son at the end of the 8th round and was wondering how to interpret them.
First he was expressing bewilderment at why the referee hadn’t called the fight off already:

“If the referee doesn’t stop it then...I don’t know what to tell you, but I will tell you this, if he doesn’t stop it and you keep on beating him like this, one, he’s getting hurt, two if it goes to a decision....why hasn’t the referee stopped the fight, I don’t get why .....”

And then he gives Jr some tactical advice:

“...so maybe you shouldn’t leave it to the referee. Now you’re not going to take him out to the face, you’re going to take him out to the body, ok”

Was this advice purely tactical or was it given with regard for the welfare of Blackwell, especially in light of Eubank Snr’s own personal experience following the Watson fight? If the latter, it reflects very well on Eubank Snr in that he wasn’t thinking purely about the winning of the fight with no regard for the cost, but his tactical advice was given primarily with regard to Blackwell’s welfare rather than how best to win the fight.
I have no idea what the motivation was behind his advice as I don’t know much about the tactics of boxing, can anyone shed any light?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
He's in a "medically induced coma" which gives the brain the opportunity to rest which makes the swelling more likely to decrease. When the swelling decreases, pressure on the brain is reduced, which lessens the chance of brain damage.

Spot on.

No surgery planned, luckily no increased swelling since last night.
Fairly routine at this stage. Really hoping he comes out of it ok.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/35907678

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I’ve re-listened to Eubank Sr’s comments and advice to his son at the end of the 8th round and was wondering how to interpret them.
First he was expressing bewilderment at why the referee hadn’t called the fight off already:

“If the referee doesn’t stop it then...I don’t know what to tell you, but I will tell you this, if he doesn’t stop it and you keep on beating him like this, one, he’s getting hurt, two if it goes to a decision....why hasn’t the referee stopped the fight, I don’t get why .....”

“...so maybe you shouldn’t leave it to the referee. Now you’re not going to take him out to the face, you’re going to take him out to the body, ok”

Was this advice purely tactical or was it given with regard for the welfare of Blackwell, especially in light of Eubank Snr’s own personal experience following the Watson fight? If the latter, it reflects very well on Eubank Snr in that he wasn’t thinking purely about the winning of the fight with no regard for the cost, but his tactical advice was given primarily with regard to Blackwell’s welfare rather than how best to win the fight.
I have no idea what the motivation was behind his advice as I don’t know much about the tactics of boxing, can anyone shed any light?

I saw this mentioned on Twitter a few minutes ago.
Seems a few people are thinking that Snr may have been trying to save Blackwell by instructing Jr to stop the shots to the head.

I don't really know whether it was to save Blackwell or just fight tactics, though we do know that Snr was shouting at the Ref to stop the fight through rounds 8-9. And rightly so.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I think he was encouraging junior for 1 big attack to get the referee to stop the fight, instead of the continuing beating he was taking every round.

Chris is seen as a clown but he has come out of this very well - he was right to attempt to stop the fight and put so much pressure on the ref.

Boxing has a problem here - there are clearly fighters who can take extreme punishment without their legs giving way and this ref seemed poorly trained to spot that.

Whether this was just one incompetent ref, I'll bow to others who watch more contests than me but I'll be surprised if there isn't another regulatory backlash from this fight. The brutality was too extreme and haunting

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

It definately sounded like it was for his welfare. He laid off him for the next round and just went through the motions for the rest of the fight. Snr was spot on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here