Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SASTA - what an absolute shower

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
"sasta" in Irish means "satisfied", which makes it fairly inappropriate to the probably zero people a day (on average) that know that

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Deutsche Bahn is state owned, has effectively no competition, yet manages to runs an efficient service.

Agree totally -this was my experience as well. It can be done, if there is a combined will make to make it happen. We can argue all you we want about the benefits of nationalisation and/or privatisation, but unless the staff en masse are prepared to work for the customer, then we will always suffer from bad service in this country. I am honestly trying NOT to be controversial, but having extensive experience of both countries, by and large, there is a greater pride taken in Germany, where people are not as casual as here and dodgy work practices are less likely to be tolerated. I have no axe to grind - just simply what I have observed over many years, and not just with regard to the railways, but do also accept that there are exceptions to this.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I am honestly trying NOT to be controversial, but having extensive experience of both countries, by and large, there is a greater pride taken in Germany, where people are not as casual as here and dodgy work practices are less likely to be tolerated. I have no axe to grind - just simply what I have observed over many years, and not just with regard to the railways, but do also accept that there are exceptions to this.

There was less confrontation between unions and management in Germany. I think there's higher union membership in Germany (although like the UK, it's declining) but there's nowhere near the same level of industrial conflict, there appears to be a greater willingness for the two sides to work together. That doesn't just apply to railways but to industry in general.

There certainly seems to be more a pride in work across Deutsche Bahn. I remember travelling across Germany in a blizzard and our five hour arrived two or three minutes late: the conductor sounded almost tearful when he apologised for the late arrival, almost as if he'd been personally responsible. You wouldn't get that on SASTA

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They'll be borrowing rolling stock from the Bluebell soon
It got worse. Terminated at East Croydon 'because it's late'. Not to worry they said, there is a London Bridge train coming in on platform 4. Yes, a full one that you've just told another 800 people to head for.

Terminating a train because it's already late, making everyone on it even later. Absolute fuqtards.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
First day with a very slight frost and trains are delayed due to 'ice on the third rail'. Wonkers.

Been a lot of snow here. Everything running fine.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agree totally -this was my experience as well. It can be done, if there is a combined will make to make it happen. We can argue all you we want about the benefits of nationalisation and/or privatisation, but unless the staff en masse are prepared to work for the customer, then we will always suffer from bad service in this country. I am honestly trying NOT to be controversial, but having extensive experience of both countries, by and large, there is a greater pride taken in Germany, where people are not as casual as here and dodgy work practices are less likely to be tolerated. I have no axe to grind - just simply what I have observed over many years, and not just with regard to the railways, but do also accept that there are exceptions to this.

Very much this (I think this is the first thing we have ever agreed on :smile:)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Probably why they build the best cars (en masse) in the world.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There was less confrontation between unions and management in Germany. I think there's higher union membership in Germany (although like the UK, it's declining) but there's nowhere near the same level of industrial conflict, there appears to be a greater willingness for the two sides to work together. That doesn't just apply to railways but to industry in general.

Interesting point about unions. There is a book, it's quite well known apparently, written by a former VW union leader. He writes about his time at VW and how the job was quite easy due to the co-operation of both sides, willingness and above all respect from both sides.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Probably why they build the best cars (en masse) in the world.

This seems like a good moment to post my favourite German photo. Any excuse.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 230

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I have got so fed up with the service I have decided, somewhat anally, to keep a record of my trains every day.

So far this week:

The 0630 GE from Brighton to Victoria has arrived on time 3 out of 5 days, being just over 1 min late on Monday and just under 10 mins late today.

The 18:00 GE from Victoria to Brighton has not yet arrived on time this week, being 8, 6, 7 & 8 minutes late.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
you are spot on with this , [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] will back me up on this, I am normally a staunch defender of the working man over here , but i think we are still hampered by the class system and any ''pride'' taken in work or good service given to customers is seen as sucking up to the bosses , and on the other hand , management treat workers like shit half the time and see themselves as a class apart, it pains me to say it , but on this topic we could learn from the krauts ( had to get that one in !)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have got so fed up with the service I have decided, somewhat anally, to keep a record of my trains every day.

So far this week:

The 0630 GE from Brighton to Victoria has arrived on time 3 out of 5 days, being just over 1 min late on Monday and just under 10 mins late today.

The 18:00 GE from Victoria to Brighton has not yet arrived on time this week, being 8, 6, 7 & 8 minutes late.
Sensationally good performance

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Someone posted this on the Reigate, Redhill & District Rail Users' Association group on Facebook. (He clearly uses my morning train)

Week one of 2016 journey summary:
Monday: morning train cancelled
Tuesday: evening train delayed lots en route
Wednesday: evenimg train short formed, very busy
Thursday: evenung train cancelled
Friday: morning in cancelled
I could possibly stomach 1, maybe 2 problems out of 10 per week, but as you can see had an issues every single day. And its the cumulative effect that's getting my stress levels up

It really is nothing short of a disgrace.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

So far this week:

This website does it for you...

http://www.recenttraintimes.co.uk/H...MetSpr=RT&MxScDu=&MxSvAg=10&MnScCt=2&MxArCl=5

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

There certainly seems to be more a pride in work across Deutsche Bahn. I remember travelling across Germany in a blizzard and our five hour arrived two or three minutes late: the conductor sounded almost tearful when he apologised for the late arrival, almost as if he'd been personally responsible. You wouldn't get that on SASTA

Fully agree with all of this. Though there are of course damaging strikes, they tend to be less frequent than here, and in general there is far less confrontation. The idea of the works council (Betriebsrat) is taken far more seriously there, when issues can be hammered out rather than unions being involved all the time. I am pretty certain that the idea of these councils was taken on British advice after WW2, ironically.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here