Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] SAS- Rogue Heroes….New drama

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I thought it was terrible and more Death In Paradise than Band Of Brothers and gave up after one episode.

It's a shame as I was really looking forward to it but it's no surprise the BBC would fu*k up a potentially great show. Annoying a network like HBO didn't picked it up as they've proven with Band Of Brothers that can make incredible war time shows.
I don’t think the BBC inherently f*** things up. They are trying to be a bit more appealing to a wider audience. Likely a reaction to the pressure on them at the moment.

They give Steven Knight far too much credit though. Yes, he’s had hits but he’s had way more stinkers. He’s on a ticket after Peaky Blinders. Which I also thought was unwatchable guff.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I enjoyed it, different style of programme and plenty of poetic licence, but ultimately a decent take on how the SAS came about. I even liked the music backdrop to it all as well, just something different to the run of the mill Downton Abbeyesque portrayal of events of that time period. I get it's not for everyone, but I found it entertaining.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Just finished binge watching it on iplayer. As someone who knew little to nothing about the origins of the SAS I thought it was well scripted, very well paced, watchable and given that a significant element of it is true, pretty amazing. Some things jarred though - the use of some contemporary music (eg The Clash), the French female spy/love interest was, I think, fictional and didn't always seem believable, most of the raids took place at night and they weren't particularly well lit (yeah, I know, they were at night in the pitch dark, no moon etc but made for difficult TV) and Stirling as portrayed by Connor Swindells - posh enough but just too pretty, whereas Paddy Mayne played by Jack O'Connell was perfect - a dangerous madman. All in all I though it was great.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I wasn't sure after the first episode. I like the style but initially found most of the characters unlikeable and felt it was trying a little too hard.
However now I'm further in and enjoying it far more.

As an aside, what is it with military type dramas and all the demands for historical 'accuracy'? It was the same with the Submarine one as well as I recall.

Virtually every drama ever made (and many documentaries - e.g. 'drive to survive') take endless liberties in order to make a programme entertaining. And in this case, I don't think anyone was ever pretending this one was anything more than a highly theatrical re-imagining of a story. Yet, apparently, it's ruined by a pair of ray-bans.

Police, Doctors, Politicians, Peace Activists, Brummie Gangsters, Sex Workers...you name it. All get portrayed innacurately along the way in the name of entertainment.

Chill.

(or maybe I should)

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I wasn't sure after the first episode. I like the style but initially found most of the characters unlikeable and felt it was trying a little too hard.
However now I'm further in and enjoying it far more.

As an aside, what is it with military type dramas and all the demands for historical 'accuracy'? It was the same with the Submarine one as well as I recall.

Virtually every drama ever made (and many documentaries - e.g. 'drive to survive') take endless liberties in order to make a programme entertaining. And in this case, I don't think anyone was ever pretending this one was anything more than a highly theatrical re-imagining of a story. Yet, apparently, it's ruined by a pair of ray-bans.

Police, Doctors, Politicians, Peace Activists, Brummie Gangsters, Sex Workers...you name it. All get portrayed innacurately along the way in the name of entertainment.

Chill.

(or maybe I should)
That's a point but there's a difference between a drama about an SAS soldier in WW2 and the specific soldiers which this is based on. Personally I steer clear of any films "based on a true story" that aren't Pride and Cool Runnings

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Just finished binge watching it on iplayer. As someone who knew little to nothing about the origins of the SAS I thought it was well scripted, very well paced, watchable and given that a significant element of it is true, pretty amazing. Some things jarred though - the use of some contemporary music (eg The Clash), the French female spy/love interest was, I think, fictional and didn't always seem believable, most of the raids took place at night and they weren't particularly well lit (yeah, I know, they were at night in the pitch dark, no moon etc but made for difficult TV) and Stirling as portrayed by Connor Swindells - posh enough but just too pretty, whereas Paddy Mayne played by Jack O'Connell was perfect - a dangerous madman. All in all I though it was great.
O'Connell rarely gives a bad performance, loved all his work since I saw him in The Liability.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
That's a point but there's a difference between a drama about an SAS soldier in WW2 and the specific soldiers which this is based on. Personally I steer clear of any films "based on a true story" that aren't Pride and Cool Runnings
How did you feel about the Eddie the Eagle one?

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I don’t think the BBC inherently f*** things up. They are trying to be a bit more appealing to a wider audience. Likely a reaction to the pressure on them at the moment.

They give Steven Knight far too much credit though. Yes, he’s had hits but he’s had way more stinkers. He’s on a ticket after Peaky Blinders. Which I also thought was unwatchable guff.

I just feel every BBC show or drama has that same 'vibe' or feel, this show felt so similar to Harry Palmer - The Ipcress File for example (another fu*k up) in the way it was filmed. The shows just feel like they're on a set and you can't forget that it's not real and get immersed.

Everything is polished from the lighting to the set. In Rogue Heres they are in a war torn country but the buildings and clothes are perfect with the odd perfectly placed bit dirt and damage here and there.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I quite enjoyed it but took it at face value.

If you are easily bored turn away now. you have been warned

I once spent a night in a compound with members of the Regiment. It was Friday evening in the winter of 83/84. We were tasked with taking two Sea King Mk4’s (troop Carrying helicopters) which we called cabs’ to RAF Wittering. We actually volunteered (what do they say about volunteering) as Stamford was a great ‘run a shore’, added to that Crab food and accommodation was brilliant compared to anything the navy had to offer. Bergen packed - check. Civvies and dancing shoes - check.
we arrive just as it’s getting dark, but instead of landing on the main drag we ended up in the middle of the airfield. We jump out, put the cabs to bed and then are informed that the bunker covered in camouflage netting and surrounded with barbed wire is our home for the next12 hours or so. Added to that we are not to leave the compound, if we do we will be trooped and most likely filled in by the residents of said bunker. It’s at this point I notice a number of blokes bimbling about drinking tea and chain smoking. To a man they were all wearing blue tracksuites and had walrus moustaches.
We were herded into a dank poorly lit bunker which was actually a number sheds that someone had bolted together whilst blindfolded.

The senior rates and officers went one way and myself and the other bod called ‘H’ were shown a corner of a large room where we were to bunk down. H was the son of Ronnie Clayton ex Blackburn and England captain, H eventually left the RN and joined the Royal Marines. The room contained a large table and was populated with some of the most frightening sofas/arm chairs (both in style and hygiene) known to man.
One of the team took us under his wing, I’m pretty sure it was Lofty Wiseman but as it was a long time ago I can’t be sure, lovely bloke. He referred to both of us as ‘Jack’ and proceeded to pile us full of food, which was a weird mix of ration pack fair and a fry up. He then proceed to break open a barrel of beer, which he insisted that we help ourselves to as he ‘never met a matelot that wouldn’t get pissed at a drop of a hat’ or words to that effect.
He did point out that the beer would be wasted if we did it give it a go as the team weren’t allowed to drink.
we retired to the ‘lounge’ and turned on the a very battered tv which from memory had the british ABA boxing champs on. At this point the team ‘bimbled ‘in. I got sandwiched between two chaps, who took turns taking sips of my beer, they did ask and i didn’t refuse, which they encouraged me to fill at every opportunit, H had a similar role.. They spent most of the time eating, smoking, drinking tea, beltching, farting and taking the piss out of anyone and everything. They did apologise for us not getting ashore and made us feel welcome. There were however no ‘war stories or dits’ which is unusual when military types get together.
We were up at 0500 to get the cabs ready and whilst we were doing this the team came back from a run! They then get dressed up in their action man kit, jumped into one of the cabs and f***ed off. I and my hangover then jumped into the other cab and headed back to Yeovilton.
The boss (the bastard) insisted we fly over Stamford to see what we missed.

The thing that the programme seemed to get right was the general loafing around, military types are not encouraged to do this as ‘idle hands etc’.They seemed to be either very much ‘on‘ or ‘off’.

One thing I forgot to mention was the underlying feeling that at a moments notice they could go into beast mode.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I just feel every BBC show or drama has that same 'vibe' or feel, this show felt so similar to Harry Palmer - The Ipcress File for example (another fu*k up) in the way it was filmed. The shows just feel like they're on a set and you can't forget that it's not real and get immersed.

Everything is polished from the lighting to the set. In Rogue Heres they are in a war torn country but the buildings and clothes are perfect with the odd perfectly placed bit dirt and damage here and there.
It was mostly filmed on location in Morocco wasn't it?

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
It was mostly filmed on location in Morocco wasn't it?

I don't know, mate. It's clearly abroad though but my point was they made it look like a set, it doesn't look 'real' like say Band Of Brothers did for example.

Even when they are in the night club or pub, it just looks like a scene from Death In Paradise or a weekly soap rather than a high budget series.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Have to admit I was disappointed with it, after initially really looking forward to watching it.

Using AC/DC as backing music was just weird & didn't fit at all - and I didn't like the way it screen grabbed / animated characters to say who they were as the episode progressed. Just looked a bit Marvel / DC superhero-esque to me.
I've never seen, or been interested in watching, Peaky Blinders - so dont know if its been done in a similar vein to that, as the writers / producers are the same I believe??

I love war time dramas & movies, but this didn't do anything for me - & I doubt I will bother with the rest of it. Real shame as the books are excellent.
Peaky Blinders is always big on style, often walking heavilly armed in slo-mo through the local smelting works, where, fire safety seems non existent looking at the smoke and flames ...

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Couldn't really get into the first one, will give it another go

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If you want to watch it for the historical accuracy, don’t bother.

If you want a bit of war-themed frippery, I’ve seen worse.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I don't know, mate. It's clearly abroad though but my point was they made it look like a set, it doesn't look 'real' like say Band Of Brothers did for example.

Even when they are in the night club or pub, it just looks like a scene from Death In Paradise or a weekly soap rather than a high budget series.
Each to their own but personally i didn't get this vibe at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here