Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sarah Watts - a real Albion hero RIP

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
R.I.P Sarah, and thank you for what you did to help and support this great football club.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
On the long march from Goldstone to Amex she was there every inch, ten years or more of committee meetings and campaigns, doing everything asked and following the team wherever it went. People like Sarah make me so proud to follow this lovely old football club. Wherever the future takes us, her spirit mustn't fade.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
RIP Sarah, Condolences to friends & family.

Legend is not a word i use often but for what she has done for the club warrants it.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
RIP Sarah

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Sarah

You will be missed, your determination during the fight to save this club is enshrined in history, it knew no bounds and for that we are all eternally grateful.

As a long time family friend you loss is greater, though we knew you were very ill it is still always a shock.

As Godmother to our daughter my (ex)wife and I will always be in your debt. Our daughter has benefited over the years from your wisdom and especially your devotion to the Albion.

Your God has you now, sleep well. xxx

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
How lucky for us that there were 30 or so people with different skills, backgrounds, experience bit with a common drive to lead the campaigns to rescue and resuscitate this club. Sarah was a leading light for the albion fans

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
So shocked by this news. Didn't know or even meet Sarah but she was someone who we all knew of because of what she did for the Albion, mostly notably during 'the war' years. For a generation of fans like me, Sarah falls into that category names including Costa, Harty, Attila, Samrah, Chuter and Carder: supporter legends who led the fightback and kept the Albion alive. For newer or returning fans, Sarah was one of those supporters whose efforts during those dark times are why you've got a Professional football club in Brighton and Hove to support today. Yes it was THAT close!

My sincere condolences to Sarah's friends and family. She won't be forgotten by friends and strangers alike. A true Albion hero, RIP Sarah.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So sad to hear of the death of Sarah Watts, two weeks shy of a celebratory milestone.

Her love of the Albion, especially during the dark days, was unshakeable and pure. A doer rather than a talker, she was among the team who organised, campaigned, fought for and ultimately secured the future of the club - and a lovely, lively person. We owe a great debt of thanks for all her hard work during the dark days, and it's not one I could really say I paid sufficiently during her lifetime.

She was a guest on the Roar just over three years ago with Liz Costa. Liz insisted on coming on with Sarah as she couldn't trust us not to tease her; though I suspect it was more that she did not trust her not to be a shocking tease back. She was, of course, a lovely guest, quite at ease talking about her favourite subject - the Albion. It was a pleasure for us that she could come on.

Her support of REMF was always very much appreciated. She would be there at the Challenge match in Lewes or the Quiz Night in Dick's Bar, generously giving her time and money for the charity - with a willing smile. When, at the end of the quiz evening I would say 'thanks for coming along...', she would shoot me one of her 'stern teacher' looks as if I was potty (which I suppose is fairly accurate) and snap '... but of course.', as though she didn't need or want thanking, because supporting people was something which was very much second nature to her.

Today's news means that this is a very sad day.

RIP Sarah.

The History Man

Aug 16, 2003
Brighton
I feel desperately sad today, having lost a great friend. Sarah was an inspiration - tireless worker, great organiser, good ideas - and she never let the Albion down.

I really got to know her back in 1995 when the troubles started. She was heavily involved in the campaigns to get Dick Knight installed, to bring home the Albion to Brighton, and to get the new stadium at Falmer. But while she was doing all that, she was also organising the Supporters' Club, getting involved in national supporters' campaigns - and still enjoying life following the Albion.

Nineteen years of getting to know Sarah - it was an honour and a privilege.

She had a wicked sense of humour and didn't suffer fools gladly, but she had a heart of absolute gold - blue and white gold - and would do anything to help the Albion succeed in their ambitions.

I saw her several times in recent weeks as she went downhill, but her spirit was absolutely incredible and, while I first visited with some trepidation, it was a real pleasure to be with her in her final weeks, catching up on old times and having a really good laugh about it all. Such was her spirit that those laughs also included her impending destiny - amazing.

The Supporters' Club gives an annual "Merit Award" to the person or persons doing the most for Albion fans over the previous 12 months. We have renamed it the Sarah Watts Trophy in honour of a truly great and exceptional Albion fan. We can bestow no greater honour.

It's at times like this that the Albion "family" truly comes together and shows that a football club is significantly more than the pitch, more than the stadium, more than the players. It really is a community - and I am so pleased to be a part of it.

Rest in peace Sarah x

Tim

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Only met her a couple of times during 'the troubles'; at away games where I met up with Mailing List Seagulls; but was aware of what a stalwart she was in supporting. organising and protesting. A sad day.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I echo that Tim. We went to visit her, whilst thinking of what on earth could we say to someone to knew that they were dying. We had no need to worry. Sarah was smiling and just chatted normally about the Albion, her treatment and even her funeral arrangements.
We came away feeling better for having seen her. It takes someone special to make you feel like that.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Sad news. I don't claim to know her but like many knew of her and met her a few times.

I remember in the early days of the struggles, at a Bring Home the Albion meeting/rally at Hove Town Hall seeing her and Liz Costa tirelessly hand making hundreds of blue and white BringHometheAlbion ribbons. I still have a couple of them in my 'Gory Years' collection.

She needs a spot on the Albion Legends walk even though it isn't Albion Legends. In her case it would be.

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
If Sarah's family wish. I hope the club put a fitting tribute to her at the next home game.

It could be that we play Arsenal on what would have been her 50th birthday, so I'm wondering if that might be a more suitable date. I'm sure the club will do something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here