Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Santa

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
A lot of divorced people in my family so I usually celebrated Christmas maybe three times a year (often three days in a row) making the whole scam fairly evident very early, no chance I believed in Santa past the age of five. But like many kids, I played a long for a while.

Don't think it is necessary to tell generally, as the kiddos will find out one way or another. At 11 or 12 or something it could be a good idea of telling them, if they don't already know, as it is fairly odd if it goes on beyond that age.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I've never told my kids, they just realise it. When they were very young & people told them he's not real, I used to just say that I didn't get the presents as I don't have that wrapping paper & we've bought these ones.
I still force my youngest to put out a mince pie & drink, he takes great delight saying that Santa wants milk, not beer or Brandy. :shrug:
Eldest did get a letter from Santa when he was 18 that congratulated him for being good all these years but then went on to politely tell him that's his last presents from him as Santa only delivers to kids. Santa is mean sometimes. :lolol:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
We kept it going as long as we could. My son approached me when he was 12 and asked for the truth, so I told him about what I believe to be Christmas spirit, love and belief.
He’s nearly 20 now and still tells me he’s appreciative of it lasting as long as it did for him.

My daughter is 10 and I think this might be her last year believing in the physicality of the being.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Back in the day I had a little percussion gadget, a piece of wood with half a dozen little bells attached to it. I would warn the kids they had to get to sleep or Fater Christmas wouldn't be able to deliver. 'Listen out for his sleigh-bells', I told them, 'if you hear them he's getting near, so get to sleep FAST!'

Then a quick tinkling at the bottom of the stairs ...... Oh, Christmas was such fun back then!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
They 'know' by 6 or 7, in my experience.

"If you don't believe in Father Christmas, I guess he won't be bringing you presents this year" stops them from mentioning it at home more than once - for a while at least.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Some people shouldn’t have kids, it’s not lying it’s making the world seem magical in their early lives. Plenty of time for them to realise it’s a shit hole 😂
Amen to that! Half the world's problems are due to there being too many people in it. Hasn't the world popuatiom doubled in the last hundred years or something? - I do know there's some pretty scary stats along those lines out there somewhere.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Feel sorry for that kid. They will be the odd one out at school, probably telling the other kids, along with how babys are made, tooth fairy isnt real, there is no god or whatever else mother believes. 4 yr old ffs. Probably so she doesnt have to shell out on presents

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
… she "doesn't want to be a mother who lies to her child", which seems to me rather harsh.
Could you suggest she keep the Easter Bunny, The Man in The Moon and probably Chickin’ Licken just for a healthy balance?

Edit - and Pinocchio (it stops the kids telling lies so she might like that one)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My oldest is autistic and fiercely logical. Aged 6 ish he worked out the truth. The worst part though was he told my younger too who were smart enough to believe him. Always made me sad that they missed out on the whole thing so young.

Such is life in a neuro diverse household though.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Never told my daughter, let her believe for as long as she did, I think she was about 11. Kids need a childhood and believing in Father Christmas or tooth fairy does them no harm. though when she lost her first tooth I only had a fiver, so she thought that was going rate per tooth after that. Ending up costing a fortune 😬

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My daughter tried to defraud the tooth fairy. We wrote a note to them for my son explaining he had lost his tooth, he may have swallowed it. She thought this was a good plan and wrote her own letter. We think as a joke as my oldest had told her none of the supernatural stalker characters exist, but who knows maybe it was a test.

Anyway I wrote her a note back explain that defrauding super natural beings was a serious offence and that if it happened again she world be blacklisted by the tooth fairy, the Easter bunny and Santa.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
As an aside - I used to work as a postman and about this time of year an old dear came up to me and said :

“My, postie. Your sack is so full it’s fit to burst.”

I replied “I know, and in a couple of hours it’ll be empty and I’ll be relieved.”

Just thought I’d put that one out there. :drink:
I don’t accept that at all. Postmen/women use wheeled trollies instead of over shoulder bags, so there is no danger of any “sack” bursting. If filled too much the mail would simply overflow out of the top of the trolley.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
No, he’s a striker. Has had spells at Man City, Blackburn and Bayern Munich. He’s Paraguayan so would make sense with Enciso here already.
Are you on the right thread?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
My youngest was about 7 last time she believed it. But we still do a few presents for her from Santa now and she's 16 just after Xmas. Makes it part of the magic and fun of Xmas imo.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Some particularly religious folk at my eldest class at her primary school years ago decided to tell their kids that Santa did not exist. It all kicked off when other parents responded with God not existing in response.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Never told my daughter, let her believe for as long as she did, I think she was about 11. Kids need a childhood and believing in Father Christmas or tooth fairy does them no harm. though when she lost her first tooth I only had a fiver, so she thought that was going rate per tooth after that. Ending up costing a fortune 😬
Mine made it to 11 or so. I think they get to the point where they no longer need to know it’s real, they just enjoy the thought of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here