Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sanchez at Chelsea

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
He has all the attributes to be a top keeper. We all knew that whilst he was here. It was his attitude and concentration that were the issue. If Chelsea can iron out those issues, they'll have a great player, if not, he'll get replaced sooner rather than later.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
They do seem to be slowly changing their minds on him.

His problem has always been that he makes more howlers than the average keeper, and his long range distribution is particularly shaky.

Incredible shot stopper though. It balances out, he saves shots he has no right to and then will give away very easy goals a moment later.

I'm not upset that he's gone though it's a shame it happened the way it did. Let's hope Verbruggen develops into an even better player

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
too many remember flaws, errors that crept in, rather than the earlier confident keeper dominanting the area. he wasn's suited, or didnt want to adjust, to the sweeper-keeper role.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think he was very right to be upset at losing his place to an inferior goalkeeper with better footballing abilities. Obviously he didn't handle himself well or appropriately and was rightly sold but it wasn't unreasonable of him to be annoyed that Steele took his place. The howler at Palace stank but it wasn't like he was doing that sort of thing every game, despite what some people on here would have you believe.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Back working with Ben Roberts and maybe focussed back on his game. He is still relatively young for a top keeper and things went quite quickly for him from Forest Green Rovers on loan through to Spain and the World Cup.

We got a lot of money for a player who came through our youth system and whilst I don't want Chelsea to do well, I hope he has a long and successful career, with maybe an opportunity to consider if he could have dealt with things better at the end of last season.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Always thought he had potential to be one of the worlds best and haven't changed my mind.

Early days at Chelsea, but the stats are interesting. From that article:

Tottenham's Vicario (77.8%) and Liverpool's Alisson (76.3%) are the only keepers with a higher save percentage in the Premier League than his 75%.

With Sanchez in goal, Chelsea have conceded only one goal from a cross from either open play, a corner or set-piece in the Premier League this season.

He makes a lot of saves you wouldn't expect him to make, the ones where people go 'oh, the striker should have scored there'

Jason Steele has the best passing accuracy of any PL keeper this season (91.5% completion) but Sanchez is ranked second with 88.4%.

Sounds like the kind of keeper I'd like between the sticks. One to regret letting go long term I feel. Still think RDZ should have kept him in the first XI after back to back excellent performances against Chelsea and United, I still don't really understand why he was cast aside so easily.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I’ll have a friendly wager that he won’t be their no1 in 12 months time. Not because he’s shit but because that club and fans are basket cases.
Anyone at Chelsea in the league cup experienced first hand just how bad his distribution can be, which is ultimately why RDZ dropped him.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
There's a pattern emerging here:

Petr Cech - Very good
Thibaut Courtois - Very good
Kepa Arrizabalaga - Supposed to very good, actually terrible
Edouard Mendy - Supposed to very good, actually terrible
Robert Sanchez - he's going to either be very good or terrible

I'm off to predict this weekend's lottery numbers.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Well the article has got a point.
They've spent huge money and wages on loads of players who don't seem that good, so a keeper who seems at least decent for £25m is obviously their best signing.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
When he first got into our side, the thing that impressed me was his ability on crosses and corners, he seemed to claim everything. However at some point he turned into a bit of a "flapper," the Palace goal being a case in point.
I’d imagine he was dropped for his positioning on the late Fulham winner the Saturday after. Everyone talks about the Palace mistake, but this was the one that pushed De Zerbi to bring in Steele.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
I’ll have a friendly wager that he won’t be their no1 in 12 months time. Not because he’s shit but because that club and fans are basket cases.
Anyone at Chelsea in the league cup experienced first hand just how bad his distribution can be, which is ultimately why RDZ dropped him.
A few clangers and that lot will be clamouring for the the next "must have" shiny new signing. Its all been smooth sailing up to now though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here