Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

San Francisco advice please!!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Hello! Currently in SF staying on Columbus. BEST. CITY.EVER! would love recommendations on bars/restaurants etc? Thanks!

Reactions: NMH

DavePage

pretty much any bar /restaurant on the coastline have something to offer, you have to try the clam chowder while your there, or there is a english pub that does a wicked breakfast, so much to see, do the trams, take a coach excursion it’s the best way to see the city at leisure with commentary!! I you like garlic, go to the "stinking rose” everything on the menu including drinks has garlic in it, but there is a queue around the block for it. Go to china town & have a meal something like twelve courses for silly money. Go to Alcatraz, it will blow you away (literally) it the exercise yard.
Have fun, we just loved the city & felt safe!!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Just had a week there. My favourite pub was just off Columbus, at Union and Powell. Its called ROGUE

Ask for Katie the barmaid. Delightful. And a choice of about 40 real ales (and lager for the rest of you)

Also Kennedy's - also on Columbus - top place for curry and much better inside that it looks from outside.

As mentioned above, do try and get to Alcatraz. Also recommend a ball game at AT&T park, my favourite baseball stadium. Although the Giants are not back in SF until next Monday.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One of my fav cities, the cable car museum is very interesting.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Avoid 6th and 7th street, nasty

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
As mentioned above, AT&T park is great, try to get seats in the view reserve behind home plate, they are cheaper and you can see out over the bay. Sections 303 to 315 are good, just take warm clothing!

We went to a restaurant called the Waterfront on Pier 7 which has great food and a good view of the Bay Bridge. If you haven't been to Vesuvio on Columbus it's worth a look, Jack Kerouac and other Beat poets used to hang out there and it's still a good place to people watch. They don't do food but you can take your own in. The Beat museum is right opposite if you're interested in that kind of thing.

We were there six days and just found stuff as we went around, there's so many good places that you can't really go wrong.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Normally best to book Alcatraz tickets in advance as the tours sell out quickly - if you are there for some time shouldn't be a problem. It's worth renting bikes and cycling over the Golden Gate Bridge. You can then head to Sausolito which has some very good bars and restaurants, you can then get the ferry back to the city.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
SF is just about our favourite city. Try breakfast at the Buena Vista cafe on the corner right by the cable car terminus at the junction of Hyde & Beach near Fishermans Wharf. Has featured in films, has views over the bay and good for people watching - it is not a poncey establishment and is used by locals, the food is ok and they claim to have invented Irish Coffee which always goes down well when it gets chilly.

If you feeling a bit energetic hire a bike and cycle over the Golden Gate bridge to Sausalito for lunch (good fish & chips) then get the ferry back which gives great views of the bridge and city, then only a short ride to return the bike.

Try a polynesian dinner at the historic Tonga restaurant inside the Fairmont hotel (cable cars pass by) - not everyone's cup of tea but has a sort of south sea island theme - there is a water feature in the centre and a boat with musicians emerges every while and there is a tropical rainstorm.......(all a bit odd but then that's very USA).

Drive down to Carmel / Monterey - a contrast to the city and take in the 17 mile coastal drive, looking out for Sea Otters just offshore and the fabulous Pebble Beach golf club. Hogs Breath 'pub' in Carmel (belonged to Clint Eastwood). Alternatively about 1 hr drive north to Sonoma & Napa valleys - wine country, lots of nice places to eat and little market towns to explore. Enjoy - wish we were there too!

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
I used to go to the Mad Dog in the Fog in Haight Street a lot as my sis lived about 3 doors down. Was a while ago but may be worth checking out if you are doing Haight St. Some dodgy projects down the next block so be a little bit careful but never had any hassle myself!

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Best American football team no doubt the 49ers, seen them play, thrown the ball around with Jerry Rice, got Joe Montana, Tom Rathman, Roger Craigs autographs. Also had picture taken with the 49ers and Miami Dolphin cheerleaders, now that was nice.

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Lovely restruarant called I think Kulitos ( Italian ) on Union Square. Interesting to walk around the Ferry Building to see and experience food stalls of every kind. As mentioned elsewhere ferry trip to Sausalito is a must also a coach trip down the coast to Carmel(very quaint), Pebble Beach and the Seventeen Mile Drive. Nearly forgot experience Sears Diner near Union Square.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
If you do Alcatraz do the NIGHT tour not the DAY tour

If a dedicated night tour isn't available, go for the last regular tour of the day. It doesn't cost any more, but rather than just doing the audio tour and having to get a scheduled ferry back, you end up with an extra hour or so to explore on your own (I wandered around the cell block for a good few minutes before I spooked myself with the realisation that I was the ONLY person in there!) then the remaining staff round everyone up and you walk down to the ferry and go back to the mainland together.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here