Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Samuel Iling-Junior

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
@Bozza why does the search function not pick this up for me? I feel like a fool!

The search function is a bit ropey but it worked perfectly for this. Did you search his name and tick the box "search titles only"?

Sometimes it's better to search via Google though. Put site:northstandchat.com x AND y

eg. site:northstandchat.com Samuel AND Iling-Junior

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
@Bozza why does the search function not pick this up for me? I feel like a fool!
Sorry, no idea - I just searched for Samuel Iling-Junior and this thread is the one it found.

Anyway, back on topic. Mentioned again with Wolves also interested....

Juventus would like to retain Samuel Iling Junior who has a contract that binds him to the Bianconeri until 2025. However, the player ended up in the crosshairs of two Premier League clubs, Brighton and Wolverhampton, but the Old Lady is asking for 25 million for his sale.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Sorry, no idea - I just searched for Samuel Iling-Junior and this thread is the one it found.

Anyway, back on topic. Mentioned again with Wolves also interested....

Juventus would like to retain Samuel Iling Junior who has a contract that binds him to the Bianconeri until 2025. However, the player ended up in the crosshairs of two Premier League clubs, Brighton and Wolverhampton, but the Old Lady is asking for 25 million for his sale.

They've put the decimal point in the wrong place.

Bloody chancers.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Hope not, he's been one of the few decent ones for us this season the few times he's played. Our current situation and mood is very gloom, I'd want to keep at least some of our younger talents.

Come on, do you really want a player with a pair of lips that could double act as dinghys in the Brighton Marina? You've already got your share of left wingers.
Jesus wept

Dagan

Jul 1, 2023
Another left wide forward? With Mitoma, Adingra and then also Enciso and Sarmiento can play there.

The right side is where we need more depth
He is left-footed though, so perhaps RDZ is envisioning moving him to RW given his preference for wingers who can cut in on their dominant foot..

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Newcastle linked with £26 million bid. The new reality - both Chelsea and Newcastle will be signing some of our longer term targets.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Newcastle linked with £26 million bid. The new reality - both Chelsea and Newcastle will be signing some of our longer term targets.

I don't want to be 'that guy', but WTF. They only paid about £100k for him 2 years ago and since then he's only had 487 first team minutes.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Then maybe we should see some new, disinformation stylee, hares running???

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Hey sorry guys, I assure you I didn't think it was a racist insult, I honestly picked it as a funny but irrelevant physical feature he has (like a City fan would pick "bald" for Guardiola or we could pick "triangle-head" for Chiellini.) Never heard it used against black players here in Italy, there are other vile things racist assholes use to denigrate them over here.

Anyway, he's good. Exactly how good it's too soon to say, but I hope he stays with us this summer because we'll probably have a different coach next season and he could show his talent.
Benefit of the doubt extended since you’re not English and may be unaware of what is acceptable here (‘here’ being both England, and Brighton).

You are now aware - no repeat please.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I don't want to be 'that guy', but WTF. They only paid about £100k for him 2 years ago and since then he's only had 487 first team minutes.

It depends on how it’s constructed.

26m is definitely steep if it’s the upfront fee.

If it’s a lower fee and then consisting of potential adds on based on international caps and sell ons etc, then it isn’t.

He might not have played much in Serie A but they would have put a lot of work into developing him as a player.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
He is left-footed though, so perhaps RDZ is envisioning moving him to RW given his preference for wingers who can cut in on their dominant foot..
Dagan, With respect i believe that's called a inverted winger. But i struggle with it as well.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Dagan, With respect i believe that's called a inverted winger. But i struggle with it as well.
Not quite. An inverted winger is someone who plays in a wide position but mostly moves in field. So Zinchenko rather than Mitoma who is a right footed left winger but is very comfortable going on the outside and mostly plays quite wide.

Last edited:

Dagan

Jul 1, 2023
Thanks. I was (perhaps surprisingly) aware of the term and meaning, but given how many people have expressed confusion at the terminology differences between "inverted" in its the use/meaning in describing inverted wingers (those with a dominant foot on the inside) and inverted fullbacks (who move into central spaces, inside the wingers, like a central midfielder), I shy away from using the inverted descriptor.

Now that I consider the term's use further, perhaps the commonality of the usage is simply a reference to the tactical use of the player, in that in both cases, whether winger or fullback, the inverted type more often plays centrally rather than wide as is typically the case. As such, the inverted winger isn't perhaps explicitly categorized that way because of the foot he uses relative to his position (side of the field), but it is instead that the relationship between strong foot and side of the pitch just dramatically increases the likelihood of a player being used in that inverted way.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The phrase inverted winger was coined to describe a left-footed player playing on the right and vice-versa. Pretty sure Pep was one of the earliest to introduce it. Now there aren't too many instances of non-inverted wingers.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
The phrase inverted winger was coined to describe a left-footed player playing on the right and vice-versa. Pretty sure Pep was one of the earliest to introduce it. Now there aren't too many instances of non-inverted wingers.
I am fairly sure inverted wingers have been a thing for much longer than that.
I remember Chris Waddle playing on the right and cutting in off his left foot all the time . And there were others before him

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
I am fairly sure inverted wingers have been a thing for much longer than that.
I remember Chris Waddle playing on the right and cutting in off his left foot all the time . And there were others before him
I don't when it started either, but I've got a vague memory of Barry Lloyd switching our wingers mid game a few times. Not sure if this counts.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Indeed, henceforth referred to as the Ashworth/Winstanley syndrome

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here