Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sam Jewell

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Looks like Ashworth is going after him.

That would be huge loss, people defending Ashworth and his upgrade in job, just doing what any of us would do are of course right, but I still think he is a snake and is still undermining our good work, so frustrating the big clubs cherry pick all the talent on and off the field, just another way of keeping up and coming teams in their place.

rant over.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Does he live down here ? Or still in North West

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
No one is indispensable. People will always move to more attractive jobs, and big companies will always go after successful talent, but there is always better or equal talent out there. I'd be amazed if we werent investing heavily in succession planning to make sure Jewells knowledge and attributes are retained in the club even if he goes.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
No one is indispensable. People will always move to more attractive jobs, and big companies will always go after successful talent, but there is always better or equal talent out there. I'd be amazed if we werent investing heavily in succession planning to make sure Jewells knowledge and attributes are retained in the club even if he goes.
Of course, you're right. We have replacements either in or out of the club lined up for these situations.

But it doesn't mean it's not a blow. Not least because we can't always get the replacement we want if they're not at the club.

But Ashworth hasn't agreed to go to Man Utd yet, and so the chain of events hasn't started and is far from certain to.

And I'm guessing that Bloom has put something in his contract, which means that Man U will soon find out that this would be the most expensive Jewell purchase since Beyonce's engagement ring

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That would be huge loss, people defending Ashworth and his upgrade in job, just doing what any of us would do are of course right, but I still think he is a snake and is still undermining our good work, so frustrating the big clubs cherry pick all the talent on and off the field, just another way of keeping up and coming teams in their place.

rant over.
Happens in every industry.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

rant over.
Fully agree in that it is indeed annoying. But we must not be hypocritical as I am sure Boca and Copenhagen are saying exactly the same about us! We have to accept where we are in the football chain, but we might yet make top 4 at some stage and then it could all change in our favour. In addition, as others have rightly pointed out, the club will always be looking to and planning for a successor like Potter to RDZ!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Fully agree in that it is indeed annoying. But we must not be hypocritical as I am sure Boca and Copenhagen are saying exactly the same about us! We have to accept where we are in the football chain, but we might yet make top 4 at some stage and then it could all change in our favour. In addition, as others have rightly pointed out, the club will always be looking to and planning for a successor like Potter to RDZ!
Yep. Annoying as it would be, we’re near the top of the food chain now so very few clubs are capable of picking off our talent on and off the field. Our custodians are also very good at making sure anyone doing so gets rinsed.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Yep. Annoying as it would be, we’re near the top of the food chain now so very few clubs are capable of picking off our talent on and off the field. Our custodians are also very good at making sure anyone doing so gets rinsed.
Yes, won't be long now -we hope!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This.

Also, why hasn't Ashworth taken him to Newcastle? Surely they pay better, what with basically being the plaything of a Middle Eastern country.
Exactly. This 'story' is based on supposition rather than any hard evidence whatsoever. And no head of recruitment will be taking Tony Bloom's algorithms with them. Nothing to see here.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Exactly. This 'story' is based on supposition rather than any hard evidence whatsoever. And no head of recruitment will be taking Tony Bloom's algorithms with them. Nothing to see here.
Isn’t the difference here though that Sam was doing these South American deals for a long time, went as far as learning Spanish and presumably built up relationships with key people in that market which is how we’ve been successful doing deals over much bigger clubs ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We are worried about an ex member of staff joining Man U and taking our head of recruitment with him. We are also worried about our manager going to Barcelona.

It is not long ago Steve sidwell picked reading over us and Brian Horton moved to Port Vale to advance his managerial career.
The thing is, it is. It just FEELS like yesterday. Over 20 years ago for Nobby - in fact nearly a quarter of a century. The Amex is nearly 13 years old. It's taken my son from 'too young to concentrate' to 'first season ticket' to 'drinking on trains and calling the referee a wanker'.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Interesting that he's not going for Paul Winstanley, who was our head of recruitment when Ashworth was with us. I'm not completely sure what that tells us, though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The thing is, it is. It just FEELS like yesterday. Over 20 years ago for Nobby - in fact nearly a quarter of a century. The Amex is nearly 13 years old. It's taken my son from 'too young to concentrate' to 'first season ticket' to 'drinking on trains and calling the referee a wanker'.
Fine parenting.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Isn’t the difference here though that Sam was doing these South American deals for a long time, went as far as learning Spanish and presumably built up relationships with key people in that market which is how we’ve been successful doing deals over much bigger clubs ?
Not sure that Man United will be after unproven ‘wonderkids’. They’ll be after a different type of player.
Would expect that if he is targeted by Ashworth we would put Sam on a long period of garden leave to protect our transfer business prospects for the summer window.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here