Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sam Baldock

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
But all the while he's being played out of position, he still gives more to the team overall than CMS. LOVELY ball through to JFC for that chance, and far more intelligent runs than CMS.

Im not convinced by that at all.

I would love to be proved wrong, as he has a very long contract with us, but I fail to see him scoring goals wherever he plays for us.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
At Championship level and the way the game is played these days Baldock is never going to be an out and out striker in away games. He is going to need to develop his game of supporting the front man and becoming more clinical when he does get a chance.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I didn't go, so I'm not going to compare, but the commentators said CMS was making good runs and he won the free-kick that led to the goal.

I heard that and concluded he was randomly running around all over the place with the law of averages being that some of them were good

He was embarrassingly poor v Brentford, being 'overtaken' by their CB and regularly caught offside (trying to get that extra yard that he now needs?)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Im not convinced by that at all.

I would love to be proved wrong, as he has a very long contract with us, but I fail to see him scoring goals wherever he plays for us.

Did you go to Charlton? CMS was ultimately very poor. His inability to hold the ball up is just so frustrating. He seems to mistime his jump to shield a bouncing ball with his back to goal, every single time. You'd think he'd be asked to work at this aspect of his game.

However, he really DID work hard - he harried and chased down the channels, usually lost causes - and yes, won the free kick that led to the goal. But in terms of his contribution, it was the sort of stuff you'd like to describe as gravy. Sadly though, in CMS's case, the meat and two veg (goal scoring, providing an outlet, and bringing others into play) are all missing at this level.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Did you go to Charlton? CMS was ultimately very poor. His inability to hold the ball up is just so frustrating. He seems to mistime his jump to shield a bouncing ball with his back to goal, every single time. You'd think he'd be asked to work at this aspect of his game.

However, he really DID work hard - he harried and chased down the channels, usually lost causes - and yes, won the free kick that led to the goal. But in terms of his contribution, it was the sort of stuff you'd like to describe as gravy. Sadly though, in CMS's case, the meat and two veg (goal scoring, providing an outlet, and bringing others into play) are all missing at this level.

Nope, I listened on the radio, which i realize is no comparison.

I am not saying CMS is the answer, he clearly isnt. But neither on the evidence shown so far is Baldock.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
But all the while he's being played out of position, he still gives more to the team overall than CMS. LOVELY ball through to JFC for that chance, and far more intelligent runs than CMS.

Gotta say I disagree with this, I thought CMS's running stretched Charlton's defence and created space. I actually think Baldock and CMS are a good front pair. What we need is better decision making from the rest of the side to put then in. Players like JFC need to be running into the spaces they make. We don't always need a big man upfront. Ulloa looked terrible towards the end of last season, mostly because we were knocking it long to him and he wasn't playing anyone else in. When the forward you have isn't doing a Murray type of job, the long ball game becomes tedious. Barnes is doing some superb hold up play in the PL and he's not the biggest.
I say use CMS Baldock and COG/new signing in rotation to give us options and offer different types of threat.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nope, I listened on the radio, which i realize is no comparison.

I am not saying CMS is the answer, he clearly isnt. But neither on the evidence shown so far is Baldock.
But that's my point. Baldock looked threatening at times, especially once COG came on. CMS rarely looks threatening at all.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
They didn't play as a front pair?

In the 442 sense no, but they do play in forward positions together. When Macca runs out wide Baldock (tried) to take up the central position. You know what I'm talking about, it's fluid. If you disagree that's fine but if you are saying Baldock was playing as wide midfield, then how can anyone say Baldock's runs are better than CMS when they are playing in totally different positions?
But that's not the case is it, they both play in forward rolls, CMS as the uptop striker, Baldock should be running into spaces CMS creates.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Baldock was left wing, similar role to Barnes used to play.

I like him and hopefully with the change in style Hughton will install in the team, Baldock may get a few more chances in front of goal. Hopefully starting Saturday.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If Baldock hadn't cost a fair whack of money very recently and wasn't on a long contract, you could quite imagine that this January could see all three of our strikers heading out of the club to be replaced by a new set.

As it is, you have to think the other two will be off, assuming replacements can be found.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
If you've got (either) Baldock or CMS up front on their own then they never hold the ball up long enough for the advanced mid-fielders to join in, especially when they're up against someone like man-mountain Bikey at Charlton. That means the midfield have to be fantastically accurate with their balls down the channels, or super-quick and slick with their passing, to make CMS and/or Baldock effective. And unfortunately, we don't do fantastically accurate passes into channels or super-quick/slick breaks. We haven't done that ever since CMS has been here - and that's he's bloody food and drink as a footballer. If CMS or Baldock are used to stretch the defence, they're never near enough to the ****ing goal to score! COG came on and matched up surprisingly well to Bikey and Tal Ben Haim. Then we could get March, JFC and Baldock involved a bit more.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It was certainly an improved effort by Baldock on Saturday - but he is starting from a very low base!

Once again, CMS put in far more effort and endeavour, without doing anything that makes him look like he is ever going to be a game-changer. But I'm firmly Team CMS because he does put that extra effort in and is always committed to the cause.

I think Bozza has hit the nail on the head; with Baldock's performances to date there would be no chance of us re-couping the ridiculous amount we shelled out for him.

Still a bit bemused why COG has sent his family back up north and wants away from us. New manager brings new opportunities...and with the vociferous support he got from the fans on Saturday, it all seems a little odd.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
if hughton does continue with 4 3 3
then it is vital that the wide attackers contribute with goals
so baldock could do a role similar to barnes under gus
but he still needs to put in some crosses too
I do think he or/and cog deserve a chance to start as the central striker
as CMS is hardly setting the championship on fire.
But hopefully we will have a better choice after the window closes
and baldock can be an option from the bench for the central role
and compete with sollyand kll for a wide role

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
But that's my point. Baldock looked threatening at times, especially once COG came on. CMS rarely looks threatening at all.

I know who I would put my money on to score more goals for us, at least CMS has 30 odd championship goals under his belt, when playing practically up front on his own for the majority of that time.

I truly hope Baldock comes good as clearly CMS will run down his contract if we don't sell in Jan, and i'm pretty sure COG will go to Sheff Utd, so that only leaves us with Baldock.

And for a man that has scored 1 goal this season.... thats very worrying.

I would rather Colunga played central than Baldock

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Its worrying that Murray has scored more goals at the Amex this season in 25 mins than our entire strike force combined.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here