Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Salde in!

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
As I said every team that he ,managed were in the lower divisions in fact in 2008/9 we finished 16th, not awe inspiring We are now a championship side so it could be argued that were one in the making when he was here although it was over a year later before we were promoted. His record as a manager is lower and he has achieved less than MA but you being the font of all knowledge on BHA wouldnt appreciate that. I dont know why we need other supporters with opinions when we have you to provide all the answers.

I thought the first thing Tony done was give Russell a contract, as the 08/09 season he came in and saved us. I don't think Tony wanted him as manager but how could he not give Russell a chance after he saved us from relegation?

I think that Russell was given the least chance of all the managers under Bloom because he wasn't really a Bloom choice.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought the first thing Tony done was give Russell a contract, as the 08/09 season he came in and saved us. I don't think Tony wanted him as manager but how could he not give Russell a chance after he saved us from relegation?

I think that Russell was given the least chance of all the managers under Bloom because he wasn't really a Bloom choice.[/QUOTE

I fully accept that but he put it right by sacking him in November to bring in Gus. It is only my opinion and others are entitled to disagree that he is a confirmed low division manager and will suit Charlton in their present state ideally.but not a manager to take a club on to greater heights. If I was a Charlton fan I would be pleased for this season to become stable but not so sure about next season if looking to get in The Championship again.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

I think that Russell was given the least chance of all the managers under Bloom because he wasn't really a Bloom choice.[/QUOTE

I fully accept that but he put it right by sacking him in November to bring in Gus. It is only my opinion and others are entitled to disagree that he is a confirmed low division manager and will suit Charlton in their present state ideally.but not a manager to take a club on to greater heights.

I agree Bloom was right to sack Slade and put Poyet in his place, but I think Slade has done a good job at Cardiff, if you take everything into consideration.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
It is only my opinion and others are entitled to disagree that he is a confirmed low division manager

Why is he confirmed as this in your view?

As in an earlier post from me (that you've not replied to, unless you're doing it now, in which case sorry), I'm genuinely curious as to what defines RS as this for you beyond him previously managing in the lower leagues. Is there anything else?

Considering he did a serviceable job at a tough club it seems a little harsh.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why is he confirmed as this in your view?

As in an earlier post from me (that you've not replied to, unless you're doing it now, in which case sorry), I'm genuinely curious as to what defineknow alls RS as this for you beyond him previously managing in the lower leagues. Is there anything else?

Considering he did a serviceable job at a tough club it seems a little harsh.

Sorry it was not my intention to ignore your post but I was so incensed with the NSC know all. To answer your question I thi nk that he has done well at lower division clubs but to me he seemed out of his depth in The Championship with a side that was expected to be in the play offs and to my mind shou,l have been there instead of Sheff Wed but when the crunch came they lost out to them. I think that was what decided his fate at Cardiff and although they moved him up staitrs it was IMHO done to ensure he would probably leave for another manager job, as has happened. He is to me the ideal manager to bring in to work on a low tight budget but not sure when he has money to spend.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Sorry it was not my intention to ignore your post but I was so incensed with the NSC know all.

You got angry at yourself? Weird.

To answer your question I thi nk that he has done well at lower division clubs but to me he seemed out of his depth in The Championship with a side that was expected to be in the play offs and to my mind shou,l have been there instead of Sheff Wed but when the crunch came they lost out to them. I think that was what decided his fate at Cardiff and although they moved him up staitrs it was IMHO done to ensure he would probably leave for another manager job, as has happened. He is to me the ideal manager to bring in to work on a low tight budget but not sure when he has money to spend.

A board of directors with an enhanced sense of self-entitlement may have expected him to have got to the play-offs, but as has been pointed out - and you've studiously ignored - he has done so with one hand tied behind his back.

He has proved himself an adequate, if not pretty good Championship manager. To call him a 'lower division manager' is exceptionally disingenuous, especially as the facts (as opposed to opinions masquerading as facts) - which again you've ignored - prove otherwise.

BTW - Chris Hughton lost out to Sheffield Wednesday too - should he go as well?

Meanwhile, there's a good chance he won't do well at Charlton - not because of his abilities, but because they have a board and a chairman who are basically running the club down with no idea what they're doing. Every manager working under the current regime there has complained of not being allowed to do their job properly (that's six - in 27 months).

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I agree Bloom was right to sack Slade and put Poyet in his place, but I think Slade has done a good job at Cardiff, if you take everything into consideration.

I totally agree - He did better than I anticipated he would do. That said, you have to wonder why Cardiff replaced him with what was essentially his assistant in Paul Trollope.

When Managers get sacked, you seldom see that unless it happens part way through the season and the assistant does well in an interim period in charge.. I am really pleased for Paul that he got the Cardiff job but Russell Slade comes across well in interviews, so he seems quite a likeable bloke as well.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm not convinced this is a good move for him. Given the recent history of Charlton Athletic. If he lead them to mid-table it probably wouldn't be good enough regardless of what a real achievement it could turn out to be.

It's a shame that he can't get fixed up with a struggling Championship side- it's his area now.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm not convinced this is a good move for him. Given the recent history of Charlton Athletic. If he lead them to mid-table it probably wouldn't be good enough regardless of what a real achievement it could turn out to be.

It's a shame that he can't get fixed up with a struggling Championship side- it's his area now.
It would have been interesting to see how he would have done at someone like Rotherham, though Stubbs is probably the better appointment in that case.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Like Whom?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Rotherham just appointed Stubbs, Barnsley have got a temp but he got them promoted so will be made permenant if not done so already. There are not many more that would take a chance on him certainly not Leeds or Forest or anybody with aspirations of promotion.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
well,he needs work in life like anyone else

and could have done alot worse than Charlton

Charlton will be there or thereabouts

good luck

Mr Slade

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
BG binfest aside, I love SALDE.

He seems like one of the good guys and he'll always be a hero for keeping us up when we looked doomed for League 2. We may well not be where we are as a club now had he not managed that.
Absolutely agree. Can never be understated what an important job he did in keeping us up against all the odds that year. Like you say, who knows what path we would've followed had he not.

https://youtu.be/v25mpeOlW-8

(will never tire of watching that)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Agreed, good appointment for them, did well at Cardiff in my opinion.

He did do well, although I think it was a little above his comfort zone. A great fire fighter though, and as long as the notoriously fickle Roland Duchatalet backs him, he could revitalise the Addicks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here