• Brilliant

Votes: 49 81.7%
  • rubbish

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Fence

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters

Mar 13, 2008
Unless it is done over the whole of Europe then it is unfair and I would be against it.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Unless it is done over the whole of Europe then it is unfair and I would be against it.

Correct.

But if they do it for Europe, will all the money and players go to Dubai/Far East, etc? Maybe it has to be worldwide.

But is it too late? The footballing authorities have been seriously negligent over the years in not controlling this.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
How on earth would they police that... players 'earn' money from so many sources, either associated with their club directly or not. It would be a complete sham.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Would this salary capping mean a reduction in wages on what the players already get?

That would turn into an interesting binfest for us tier 3 fans to laugh at

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
League here has one but its done differently - clubs cannot spend more than 65% of their turnover on wages and this does not count cash injections from chairman, etc. Prevents Chelsea/City/Etc situations of new owners putting unsustainable wage funds in.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
a great, if not new, idea but I can't see it happening as it's probably illegal

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The introduction and playing-with of this concept in American sports has nearly always led to players striking (or threatening to), could see it happening here should they try it. Thats not to say I wouldn't agree with it in principle.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
but how will John Terry and Frank Lampard cope with just £60,000 a week instead of £150,000

I feel so sorry for them, and I expect them to go through tough times as a result, and it may effect their peformance on the pitch.

You may see them turn to crime and everything, simply underpaid for what they do and a definate no no

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
but how will John Terry and Frank Lampard cope with just £60,000 a week instead of £150,000

I feel so sorry for them, and I expect them to go through tough times as a result, and it may effect their peformance on the pitch.

You may see them turn to crime and everything, simply underpaid for what they do and a definate no no

Completely agree, awful suggestion. :angry::angry::angry:

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
No way, Robbie Savage is well worth his £24,000 a week (more than alot of peoples annual income) :thud:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
No way, Robbie Savage is well worth his £24,000 a week (more than alot of peoples annual income) :thud:

Not on here it isn't. I seem to remeber we did a poll and quite a lot of people earn more than that per annum :glare:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Two American sports have hard caps -- the NFL and the NBA.
Baseball has a soft cap -- a luxury tax.

The issue has been fairly intensively studied in business schools. A longish survey of the literature may be found at the end of this paper, "The Impact of Free Agency and the Salary Cap on Competitive Balance in the National Football League", by a couple of Iowa State University profs.

The impact of salary caps in professional team sports, 1999 paper by a bloke from University of Antwerp.

The Effect of Salary Caps in Professional Team Sports on Social Welfare , 2007, two guys from Zurich.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Yes, but on here we did a poll ages ago and I seem to remember the most popular option was £80,000 +. Or maybe I'm completely wrong...

Just a guess like, but very FEW people on here are 80k + people, maybe it was like the how big is your knob thread when most people were 12 inches +, just a guess mind. :thumbsup:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
good idea but will never happen, because players will kick up a fuss and will not get past EU law

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Great idea and in my opinion the max should be between £3,000 and £4,000
per week. They are only footballers afterall !!!!!!!!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here