Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe Standing – YES – Poster for Sat 15 Oct v Preston. Show your support.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I for one 1 would not like the return of standing as I prefer seating provided everybody sits in their seats. Probably an age things but I would not support standing.

How bloody selfish.

Do you think it would mean taking out ALL the seats?

If I was you, I'd support a safe standing area as those who want to stand could be accommodated in a specific place and would then have no excuse for being in a seating area and continually standing in front of those who wish to use the seats.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
It's all a bit daft really. You would think that if terraces were really that dangerous, then they all have seats or been destroyed. Hasn't happened though.

It's like "Yeah, terraces are really dangerous, but if you're not in the PL we will let you keep them for 5 years or so...but you can't build anymore though, because that would be really dangerous."

We all know the real reasons why Hillsborough happened.

As for the people saying they don't want a standing area. WHY?! If you are sitting in the West Upper, how does fans standing in a totally different area of the ground effect you? Apart from make the atmosphere better?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I for one 1 would not like the return of standing as I prefer seating provided everybody sits in their seats. Probably an age things but I would not support standing.

So because you don't want to stand, no-one else should? Brilliant.

This campaign has nothing to do with you. So why comment?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

You would be able to sit nicely in your seat without interruption, if those that wanted to stand could do it in an allocated area. Your opinion is narrow minded.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Dear god, here we go again.

And yet the defence will circle (all left backs) and we'll be told how misunderstood he is.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Standing wouldn't be compulsory, and unless your seat is in the North, or one of the corners there is no chance you'll even have to move if you want to stay in a sitting area.

NorthWest or SouthWest corner is the most likely area for standing ? ???

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Standing wouldn't be compulsory, and unless your seat is in the North, or one of the corners there is no chance you'll even have to move if you want to stay in a sitting area.

NorthWest or SouthWest corner is the most likely area for standing ? ???

Ah....this is where the difficulty starts. The likelihood is that safe standing areas will be located in the slightly less desirable viewing positions. Standing usually goes together with singing and the regular singers like to be fairly central or next to away fans. Those expecting to stand will expect a position behind a goal. The best possible scenario is a split North Stand...upper for seating, lower for standing or vice versa.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Safe standing doesn't affect the attendance figures but increase the atmosphere and match day expierence for some fans.
I have seen how it works in Germany.
However my days for standing are now only for goals and on the concourse having beer.
But I feel sorry for the youngsters who have never been able to expirence the swaying crowds however the design stops you being crushed on a barriers like in the north stand at the Goldstone after good old mothers brown song( showing my age) or a goal.
Bring it on.

Forgetting how selfish and narrow minded this post is, it's just wrong.

As someone who prefers to sit, you would find there is less reason to stand in a seated area if the standers were elesewhere.

Those who struggle to stand or choose not to are the ones who could benefit the most from the proposed change.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Safe standing doesn't affect the attendance figures but increase the atmosphere and match day expierence for some fans.
I have seen how it works in Germany.

I was in Germany a couple of weeks back taking in 3 games one of which was Dortmund V Freiburg. I stood on a terrace...not safe standing a terrace. Could also drink and smoke but one step a time eh.

I really can't get excited about safe standing to be honest, it's basically a space where a seat was where you stand. It's not like you can move about and stand with your pals and by all accounts it's going to cost the same as buying a seat. I get people want to stand but I really don't think it's going to be the golden bullet to cure the atmosphere issues that some people think it will. If it's going to cost hundreds of thousands to implement personally I'd rather they spent that money on the side.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Do we really need to show support? The club has said that it will engage with fans!

Although the club have said that it will engage with fans, for those who DO agree with safe standing, I suppose it will do their chances of it happening no harm in actively supporting it.

I for the record, do not support it though.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I was in Germany a couple of weeks back taking in 3 games one of which was Dortmund V Freiburg. I stood on a terrace...not safe standing a terrace. Could also drink and smoke but one step a time eh.

I really can't get excited about safe standing to be honest, it's basically a space where a seat was where you stand. It's not like you can move about and stand with your pals and by all accounts it's going to cost the same as buying a seat. I get people want to stand but I really don't think it's going to be the golden bullet to cure the atmosphere issues that some people think it will. If it's going to cost hundreds of thousands to implement personally I'd rather they spent that money on the side.

Absolutely this, your second paragraph at least.

The mere thought of people standing, drinking and smoking on a terrace, whilst they watch the Albion seems so outdated now. Verging on bohemian in fact.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Absolutely this, your second paragraph at least.

The mere thought of people standing, drinking and smoking on a terrace, whilst they watch the Albion seems so outdated now. Verging on bohemian in fact.

Well I disagree with you there. The drinking laws around football are massively outdated IMO. Would love to be able to sit or stand at an Albion game having a beer.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Whilst I think most would be able to drink whilst watching the game I fear there would be a minority that would ruin it. As for smoking, let's not even go there. A massive backward step if it happened.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Whilst I think most would be able to drink whilst watching the game I fear there would be a minority that would ruin it. As for smoking, let's not even go there. A massive backward step if it happened.

That's the same with anything though. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would and do moan about people standing when they've bought a seat. Just look at what the problems West Ham are having at the moment. To be honest that is about the only reason I can see for going ahead with safe standing.

On a similar note look at how many people moan about people leaving early/arriving late. If you chuck in people going for a beer or a piss it's going to upset a lot of people. That said the only time I went for a drink in Germany whilst the game was going on was at Eintracht Frankfurt and that was only because everything was done on a smart card and I had €10 left on it and was trying to use it up.

As for smoking, I don't so it wouldn't bother me but I've no issue being around someone who is smoking outside so was simply making the point that the Germans treat fans like grown ups. I'm more offended by these folks who have these electronic fags that are fruity flavours and create plumes of smoke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here