Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Safe Standing at the AMEX

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The bizarre thing is (and perhaps this thread has already covered this), when the club first engaged the fans on this, there was - at best - lukewarm ambivalence.

But wasn't the question from the club along the lines of "are you prepared to pay extra for the seats to be removed so safe standing can happen?" which obviously is going to receive an unfavourable response. Obviously Barber and his badly worded email about PPV spring to mind "Unfortunately, fans will always want everything for free".

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I thought Barber had clearly stated that he would not allow the club to be allied / associated with the Safe Standing Campaign? Was a number of years back now (before PL certainly). I can't quote his exact words but the sentiment was that that he did not want, and there would not be, safe standing at the Amex.

However, in the past few seasons, the stewards in the NS have not made any attempt to enforce sitting. Good on them too. If we are standing anyway, why go to the expense of removing seats to permit safe standing if we are already standing safely? Hardly seems worth it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
But wasn't the question from the club along the lines of "are you prepared to pay extra for the seats to be removed so safe standing can happen?" which obviously is going to receive an unfavourable response. Obviously Barber and his badly worded email about PPV spring to mind "Unfortunately, fans will always want everything for free".

I might be wrong but I don't recall the wording of the question being that slanted.

A more accurate poll though would be to canvass just the North Stand to see what people there would prefer. I would be very surprised if a majority was achieved asking everyone but targeting it a those in the area likely to be affected might garner a different result.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I remember going to the initial meeting, Q&A session at The Amex, it was advertised on line etc and literally about 25-30 people turned up. Luke warm was an under statement.
Gauging an opinion on those who could be bothered to turn up at the Amex on a week night to discuss something that can't legally happen yet is a bit of a stretch.

As soon as there are noises that rail seats might become legal imminently this will become a much bigger pressure point

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I might be wrong but I don't recall the wording of the question being that slanted.

A more accurate poll though would be to canvass just the North Stand to see what people there would prefer. I would be very surprised if a majority was achieved asking everyone but targeting it a those in the area likely to be affected might garner a different result.

That would be a much better idea. The times I’ve been in the North Stand (I’m normally West Upper) I’ve been disappointed with the amount of people who just don’t seem interested in trying to make an atmosphere. At least safe standing might improve this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I would go further and suggest it is only the business of those in the North Stand. I used to stand in the Goldstone North and only ever went in the seats a handful of times. These days I am in the West Lower, have no intention of standing behind the goal and therefore wouldn’t expect my view to be considered relevant.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
It would be great to have and a small stand like the North would be prefect for it. The trouble is that some (a majority?) are in the North Stand due to economics or for the view, not to stand and create an atmosphere. Having half and half (top standing /bottom sitting) could work but that would mean moving people around and that also causes problems. This plus the club not being able to make more money from it means that it is never likely to happen.

Back half a dozen rows never sit, the next half a dozen rarely sit. Half of the NS could be converted to self-standing and nothing would actually change. And I would argue that most people in the North are there for the atmosphere, not the cost/view. Not suggested at all that most are there to contribute to the atmosphere, but it is still something many want to be a part of.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
What it is actually about is that if you are one of those who wants to stand for the match then you are probably going to sing. Introduce safe standing in the NS and hopefully you solve the problem of small unconnected bunches of singers who don't coordinate. The 200 under the Police box do their best, and those under the screen give it a go, but there are big swathes of "sitters" in between who don't make the effort. Hopefully they will shit out the way and suddenly The Amex will be like Celtic Park...

Back half a dozen rows never sit, the next half a dozen rarely sit. Half of the NS could be converted to self-standing and nothing would actually change. And I would argue that most people in the North are there for the atmosphere, not the cost/view. Not suggested at all that most are there to contribute to the atmosphere, but it is still something many want to be a part of.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Safe standing now installed at Bristol City.
I'm sure there will be a few clubs looking closely at how successful it is.

[tweet]1418497898254323714[/tweet]

Aug 18, 2013
Can't help but feel the Covid season was the perfect time to get it in and ready in the North without a binfest.

Unfortunately the club sent out a survey saying 'would you move seats to stand' and funnily enough the fans were against it. Funny how there was no vote about building a new corporate suite at the back of the North but that's been approved.

Can't help but feel that it would trouble nobody if they converted back 4 four rows (or whatever is unofficially allowed to stand) to rail seats but there you go. Will be interesting to see what happens now a fair few clubs have it ready to go

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can't help but feel the Covid season was the perfect time to get it in and ready in the North without a binfest.

Unfortunately the club sent out a survey saying 'would you move seats to stand' and funnily enough the fans were against it. Funny how there was no vote about building a new corporate suite at the back of the North but that's been approved.

Can't help but feel that it would trouble nobody if they converted back 4 four rows (or whatever is unofficially allowed to stand) to rail seats but there you go. Will be interesting to see what happens now a fair few clubs have it ready to go

Doesn't matter what they install, under current legislation I they can't use it.

As for the hospitality suite, how was that displacing anyone?

NSC has had plenty of fun criticising them up the road when they displaced long term fans at the behest of their so called ultras. Isn't it the same if you insist people move to accommodate standing?

Aug 18, 2013
Doesn't matter what they install, under current legislation I they can't use it.

As for the hospitality suite, how was that displacing anyone?

NSC has had plenty of fun criticising them up the road when they displaced long term fans at the behest of their so called ultras. Isn't it the same if you insist people move to accommodate standing?
Why would replacing any of the back 4 rows of the North Stand with rail seats displace anyone ? Everyone in these seats has to stand to see the game anyway so it would make no difference?

But Barbs reckons the fans aren't interested because of a skewed survey about 4 years ago suggesting a majority don't care - oh and because very few people could be arsed to turn up to a forum about it on a Monday night. Well of course people halfway line in the East Upper wouldn't give up their seats to relocate to a safe standing block, just target those likely to (the North/North West corner).

Will be interested to see if the club attitude changes when legislation is eventually introduced. TBF they were very pro standing initially, because they thought standing would help the atmosphere. Then we got promoted and they opted for permission for a Corporate Box in the North instead. Hopefully one positive of this horrific pandemic is that the 1901 extension doesn't happen

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I used to love watching football from a terrace. Partly because it was where the atmosphere was best and partly because where you chose to stand was, by the very nature of a terrace, unallocated.

I just see rail seating as a pretty unsatisfactory halfway house, where people simply stand in in front of an allocated seat. Which is pretty much what happens now in large parts of most grounds. For that reason I really can’t get excited about it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I used to love watching football from a terrace. Partly because it was where the atmosphere was best and partly because where you chose to stand was, by the very nature of a terrace, unallocated.

I just see rail seating as a pretty unsatisfactory halfway house, where people simply stand in in front of an allocated seat. Which is pretty much what happens now in large parts of most grounds. For that reason I really can’t get excited about it.

Have to agree with this. I sit in WSU but stand at pretty much every away game but I'm standing in front of the seat allocated. People have this nostalgic view of the old terraces but that isn't going to return.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why would replacing any of the back 4 rows of the North Stand with rail seats displace anyone ? Everyone in these seats has to stand to see the game anyway so it would make no difference?

But Barbs reckons the fans aren't interested because of a skewed survey about 4 years ago suggesting a majority don't care - oh and because very few people could be arsed to turn up to a forum about it on a Monday night. Well of course people halfway line in the East Upper wouldn't give up their seats to relocate to a safe standing block, just target those likely to (the North/North West corner).

Will be interested to see if the club attitude changes when legislation is eventually introduced. TBF they were very pro standing initially, because they thought standing would help the atmosphere. Then we got promoted and they opted for permission for a Corporate Box in the North instead. Hopefully one positive of this horrific pandemic is that the 1901 extension doesn't happen

So what's the difference between standing in front of your seat in the back four rows of the north stand as it is and standing behind an allocated rail seat? If you stand at the moment then what exactly are you seeking to change?

Aug 18, 2013
So what's the difference between standing in front of your seat in the back four rows of the north stand as it is and standing behind an allocated rail seat? If you stand at the moment then what exactly are you seeking to change?
Um, perhaps the safe element?

You'd think they would start with the back of the North, create a culture for it and slowly integrate it throughout the stand.

Obviously it is early days because the legislation hasn't been passed yet. But noticeable that an increasing amount of clubs are getting involved early. It is surprising that a club like ours which likes to be perceived as forward thinking, is seemingly not here.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I've just seen that Liverpool have installed 1800 rail seats at the rear of the kop.

An interesting endorsment coming from Liverpool whose fans were previously, quite understandably, pretty vocal in thier objection to any safe standing.

They also plan to install 6000 in the away end.

I believe this is part of a trial by 8 Premier League clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here