Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe Standing at the AMEX: Yes or No?

Yes or No to a Safe Standing area?

• Yes, I would like to see the North stand made a Safe Standing zone

Votes: 459 83.3%
  • No, I don't want Safe Standing at the AMEX

Votes: 92 16.7%

• Total voters

That he is making an implication that standing is for 'hoolies'.

I thought standing was for all behavioural aspects of society.

:thumbsup:

Ok.

I sort of read it that if the wannabe hoolies are made to sit they won't come rather than standing makes you a hoolie.

FWIW, I don't care either way, I don't want to stand any more, too old now, but if some do, good luck.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I very much doubt that is his personal opinion, but if that's the club line then it's not his fault, he can't put across a different opinion.

I am shocked that the club just dismissed it out of hand like that. Paul Camillin used to stand on the North Stand at the Goldstone, as did Dick Knight. This response seems to come straight from Richard Hebberd's mouth, especially the patronising bits about 'good behaviour'. We're not schoolchildren.

If standing really did make a (safe) return to grounds in the Premier League and Championship, I would be astonished if the Albion weren't part of it. Not to mention pissed off.

Add if other clubs were making BUCKETFULS of cash as a result of safe standing they would also change their tune.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
what if we dont sit where our ticket tells us to? that'd wreck their seated and identifiable plan. muwahahaha.

My group can't be the only ones who already do this. 7 of us at the Bristol City game and not one seat was occupied by the person named on the ticket!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Camillin is a traitorous disgrace as far as I'm concerned if he has written that. I'm looking forward to a new era of protest to be honest. It's what we do well after all.

A big IF, though. That is classic Hebberd. I can't believe an old school Albion bloke who fought so hard like the rest of us would or could write that.

I'm with you on the new era of protest though. It's our club, we're the only constant and it's the oiks that (presumably) Hebberd is having a pop at that we can thank for supporting us through thin and thinner. I'm f***ed if I'm going to let this club become a glorified MK Dons.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
This. Absolutely correct.

Some real over-reaction around these parts at the moment, on just about everything.

But isn't this the latest in a number of un-popular decisions taken with no prior engagement or communication:

1. Price hikes at the start of the season on food, drink and programmes
2. Charging for some of the mascot slots.
3. Changing of Gully's girls.
4. Refusal to remove Leon Knight from 'legend's wall'
5. Decision to crack-down on standing in North Stand.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Well its a bit of a shame the club do not want to consider it at the moment and we as a small group in N1A will not be renewing next season in the northstand due to shall we say inconsistant stewarding (club policy) i dont want to run on the pitch , beat the crap out of anybody , direct racist or homophobic chants at anybody but i do want the freedom to get behind my team in a way i see acceptable , as it stands one section of the northstand has been singled out for the implementation of the fa directive and frankly that is simply not on .

So its off to the south stand for us next season as we all know you can stand (if you want) all through the match .See if i can dig out that old confederate flag :)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But isn't this the latest in a number of un-popular decisions taken with no prior engagement or communication:

1. Price hikes at the start of the season on food, drink and programmes
2. Charging for some of the mascot slots.
3. Changing of Gully's girls.
4. Refusal to remove Leon Knight from 'legend's wall'
5. Decision to crack-down on standing in North Stand.

I take your point, but..

1. There would never be 'engagement' on that would there? They are not going to ask whether we want the prices increased. Pointless.
2. Horrible decision. Horrible.
3. Couldn't give a toss. If pressed, I'd agree with the changes.
4. This one I agree on - an issue that isn't a BUSINESS decision, so one where they actually should listen to public opinion.
5. Surely a result of pressure on them from outside. Why rock the boat otherwise.

In summary, I don't expect discussion on business decisions - ticket prices, etc - they know that increases will be unpopular - its for them to gauge demand and act accordingly. On stuff like the museum / Leon Knight etc - these are areas where they can, should, and most often DO listen to fan pressure.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My wife saw a thread I was looking at the other day about standing. Then, whilst watching the footie this weekend, she commented about both ends of Upton Park and a small stand opposite the cameras being all standing. I didn't get into any conversation that I would have lost but, how do I explain that the 5000 (estimated) fans at each end were breaking the law but no one does anything about it from the stewards, police, club, FA, UEFA or FIFA.
Personally, I'm happy at my age to sit and stand when something exciting happens. But as a younger lad I enjoyed the East at the Goldstone with no cover and freezing cold.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I take your point, but..

1. There would never be 'engagement' on that would there? They are not going to ask whether we want the prices increased. Pointless.
2. Horrible decision. Horrible.
3. Couldn't give a toss. If pressed, I'd agree with the changes.
4. This one I agree on - an issue that isn't a BUSINESS decision, so one where they actually should listen to public opinion.
5. Surely a result of pressure on them from outside. Why rock the boat otherwise.

In summary, I don't expect discussion on business decisions - ticket prices, etc - they know that increases will be unpopular - its for them to gauge demand and act accordingly. On stuff like the museum / Leon Knight etc - these are areas where they can, should, and most often DO listen to fan pressure.

All some of these needed was a little communication beforehand, an email or letter to say they were putting up prices prior to first game would have been useful, they could also have written to everyone who is a season ticket holder in the north stand to say " we have been warned about people standing, from Bolton game you will be asked to sit, if you don't you will be removed and recieve a 3 game suspension"

Would have reduced the issues and anamosity.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I'm puzzled as to the comment about being inclusive regardless of age or sex. I can understand the issue with height to a certain extent but specifically age or sex - have the club actually asked older people and women if they prefer to sit or stand or have they made a massive assumption on their behalf?

I've got to say that response from the club is appallingly written and comes across as extremely authoritarian. It doesn't bode well for those in the North Stand who are currently battling (figuratively) with the powers that be about standing.

I'm with you on this. Its not like people are being forced to stand. Its about having a mix of views, tickets etc. I wouldnt stand at the moment as I have two young kids who attend with me, but I would have no issue if the north stand was made safe standing.

In fact, when I go to away games it would be nice to have a mix (like we had at peterborough last year) where I could sit with my sons, knowing those who wished to stand, could. We wont have that luxury at Charlton on Saturday

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
All some of these needed was a little communication beforehand, an email or letter to say they were putting up prices prior to first game would have been useful, they could also have written to everyone who is a season ticket holder in the north stand to say " we have been warned about people standing, from Bolton game you will be asked to sit, if you don't you will be removed and recieve a 3 game suspension"

Would have reduced the issues and anamosity.

Fair.

THIS WAS THE DAY:moo:

Attachments

• scan0055.jpg
    scan0055.jpg
    992.4 KB · Views: 92

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The day we lost our Brighton & Hove Albion

That he is making an implication that standing is for 'hoolies', or rather that sitting 'keeps the hoolies at bay...'

I thought standing was for all behavioural aspects of society.

You seem to be a bit over-sensitive. Of course standing up doesn't make someone a hooligan. It's just that, as the club pointed out, it's harder to stop trouble on terraces than in seats. Which anyone who's been on a terrace will know is true. It doesn't mean safe standing would lead to hooliganism necessarily - just that it's easier to prevent it from returning when there are seats.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've only just delved into this thread... and having read it all in about 45 minutes, I am astounded by the club's response.

I know Paul C well, and that is certainly not his personal opinion, as he's always enjoyed standing on a terrace to watch football (it helps being about 6ft 5).

Perhaps we are losing connection with the club?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm with you on this. Its not like people are being forced to stand. Its about having a mix of views, tickets etc. I wouldnt stand at the moment as I have two young kids who attend with me, but I would have no issue if the north stand was made safe standing.

In fact, when I go to away games it would be nice to have a mix (like we had at peterborough last year) where I could sit with my sons, knowing those who wished to stand, could. We wont have that luxury at Charlton on Saturday

Like it used to be at most away grounds in the past... you's have the noisy standing fans behind the goal, and those who wished to sit in a section of seats reserved for away fans off to the side...

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
It's a pretty lazy generalisation - completely unsupported by any statistics - that standing areas attract trouble-makers, which is what the last part is saying.

It also completely ignores that fact that safe-standing would not be compulsory for all - it would be available for those who do want to stand, and for those who didn't/couldn't they'd be freed of the problem they have now of people standing in front of them.

All in all, this statement was clearly put-together by someone who doesn't actually understand what safe-standing is or what the issues surrounding it actually are.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Be fooking grateful we've actually got a lovely new stadium..!!
We could still be at Withdean, if it wasn't for Bloom's interest-free millions!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here