Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sacrifice Hammond

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
For me Hammond is too similar to Bridcutt (holding midfielders). In the 1st half yesterday we were missing creativity. That only comes from Buckley or Vicente and one of those should have started in place of Hammond.

Failing that it has to be CMS on the slab.

Unfortunately Deano was not quick in thought or deed yesterday. Game changed when The Dagger entered the arena.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
For me Hammond is too similar to Bridcutt (holding midfielders). In the 1st half yesterday we were missing creativity. That only comes from Buckley or Vicente and one of those should have started in place of Hammond.

That would be ideal but neither Buckley or Vicente can play a full 90 minutes at present and are far better as impact subs.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
We were stretched when Hammond came of ,took a bit of brilliance from Vicente ,but we were under pressure .Gus took a chance like he said he would and it paid of .Yes agree Hammond has been playing well .

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The problem with Barnes not playing is that we have to choose another scapegoat.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
That would be ideal but neither Buckley or Vicente can play a full 90 minutes at present and are far better as impact subs.

Partly agree but maybe they could do the hour and then Lua Lua.

Its just a little more attack minded. Nothing against Hammond he is a worthy player, but when we have so many options it is not wrong to park someone that is a good player and has been doing well.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I can only remember Hammond having about 2 good games since he re-signed for us. He's too slow physically and mentally meaning when the ball goes to him our plays loses any tempo it has. I really hope we don't make the move permanent in the summer.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If you sacrifice the 2nd DM you have to be aware that the full backs will have to stay back and you'll only get 1/4 of their current attacking contribution. Not much different to what an attacking mid would produce EXCEPT we already have a bunch as play 1 striker and 3 attacking mids. Would a forth AM contribute as much as the first AM, or 3/4 of both FBs?

I think I prefer Gus' system but many do prefer defenders to be defenders and attacking players to attack/create. In our usual set-up both full backs and both DMs basically are part of each meaning we have the extra man advantage with the ball but can occasionally get caught on the break, especially if all 4 'transition' players are attacking. Equally we can struggle to create anything if all 4 'transition' players are pinned back in defense. That's why they take it in turns to roam and bring the extra attacker into play on different sides/middle of pitch at different times (usually an overlap on the side the ball is in our possesion for FBs but not always).

My worry with Hammond is he's not as mobile as Bridcutt or the full backs and that fact is why I would prefer (long term) a different player alongside Bridders. You can get away with it if one of the DMs is a Xabi Alonso type passing god (Dicker at L1 level) with no pace but high work rate none the less, but otherwise you need pace as well to transition between offense and defense. Also to rotate out wide and cover behind the full back or drop back into defense if a CB drifts out there (some teams play one or other instruction, believe we do both and others react accordingly). Chelsea/Brazil's Ramires is a good example I think. He's more a Bridcutt type than a Makelele(sp) who was a completely defensive anchor man playing DM on his own and thus not having any attcking duties much.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Maybe a thrashing with a bunch of nettles would be more apt ?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
If you sacrifice the 2nd DM you have to be aware that the full backs will have to stay back and you'll only get 1/4 of their current attacking contribution. Not much different to what an attacking mid would produce EXCEPT we already have a bunch as play 1 striker and 3 attacking mids. Would a forth AM contribute as much as the first AM, or 3/4 of both FBs?

I think I prefer Gus' system but many do prefer defenders to be defenders and attacking players to attack/create. In our usual set-up both full backs and both DMs basically are part of each meaning we have the extra man advantage with the ball but can occasionally get caught on the break, especially if all 4 'transition' players are attacking. Equally we can struggle to create anything if all 4 'transition' players are pinned back in defense. That's why they take it in turns to roam and bring the extra attacker into play on different sides/middle of pitch at different times (usually an overlap on the side the ball is in our possesion for FBs but not always).

My worry with Hammond is he's not as mobile as Bridcutt or the full backs and that fact is why I would prefer (long term) a different player alongside Bridders. You can get away with it if one of the DMs is a Xabi Alonso type passing god (Dicker at L1 level) with no pace but high work rate none the less, but otherwise you need pace as well to transition between offense and defense. Also to rotate out wide and cover behind the full back or drop back into defense if a CB drifts out there (some teams play one or other instruction, believe we do both and others react accordingly). Chelsea/Brazil's Ramires is a good example I think. He's more a Bridcutt type than a Makelele(sp) who was a completely defensive anchor man playing DM on his own and thus not having any attcking duties much.

With that level of common sense you won't last long around here..... great post!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

This For the first time I thought Orlandi worked hard yesterday, his miss however was dreadful!

- - - Updated - - -

I can only remember Hammond having about 2 good games since he re-signed for us. He's too slow physically and mentally meaning when the ball goes to him our plays loses any tempo it has. I really hope we don't make the move permanent in the summer.

I agree with this totally, not sure what Deano brings to the team

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Bridcutt is 10 times the player Hammond is. Looked at least a league behind everyone else to me. Time to be bold and swap him for a more creative player in the starting 11, particularly at home, where I think the 'getting overrun in midfield' is a load of bollocks.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011

Ha Ha Ha, that made me laugh.

Does Bridcutt have the turning circle of a tank? no
Does Bridcutt win headers? yes
Does Bridcutt give 100%? yes
Does Bridcutt move at more than a snails pace? yes
Does Bridcutt make 10yd passes that actually go to the intended player? yes

If you were to replace Bridcutt with Hammond in the above questions you would get the opposite answer. On what basis is Hammond similar to Bridcutt?

Hammond out NOW!

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011

this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here