Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sackings,who's next ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They lost money last time - didn't unduly worry the board.

Not sure why they're less likely to get back. The Championship has long been a tough league to get out of but this time, they'll have had four seasons of PL money (and Europa league money) behind them instead of one season's worth. I'd have thought they'd have more chance of getting back this time

I was thinking more of the team strengths and ability. Would you consider them to be better than those at the top of the championship plus the other two relegated teams whoever they are.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
In our division, Sean Dyche is surely the most likely. Hughes, Jokanovic and Mourinho have gone, leaving Dyche, wagner. Hodgson, howe as the remaining managers of underperforming teams (muff debatable but on a bad run). Have to argue that Dyche is most likely to go of that lot.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was thinking more of the team strengths and ability. Would you consider them to be better than those at the top of the championship plus the other two relegated teams whoever they are.

That's not the question though. The question is: who out there is better than a manager who has built the team and has already got them promoted out of a tricky division ... twice?

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I don’t know Burnley well enough to know for sure, but I guess the difference would be that he’s had another two or three years and a couple more seasons of PL money to build a squad to stay up and he may well fail to do it yet again. Plus the football they play is ghastly. I would say he deserves the sack more than most, yet because he’s in charge of an unfashionable club he seems to get away with it.

They got relegated and kept him before and came straight back up I would expect them to do the same. If they were to get rid of him with no quality replacement there would be no coming back.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I don't think Burnley will keep Dyche for much longer unless there are signs of improvement. Also Wagner must be on borrowed time. I can see a chairman thinking now is the best time to change to give a newcomer the chance to sign some players to keep them up

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
If I was putting money on the next prem league casualty it would be Dyche to be sacked & Benitez to resign after a lack of backing by the Ashley again after promises.

No sentiment in football when we are talking 100's of millions in the bank and Burnley have got used to sitting at the rich top table & wont want to lose it. Ashley promised funds for Jan but he did exactly the same last season when there was an offer on the table (yet he still goes away on holiday) and Benitez is sounding like a beaten man with his recent comments.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Would Brighton sack their manager if we were down near the bottom of the league?
Yes - Sami. Do chairman have any morals when it comes to sacking a manager, no.
So let the merry go round begin with Dyche or Wagner moving to Forest.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
If I was putting money on the next prem league casualty it would be Dyche to be sacked & Benitez to resign after a lack of backing by the Ashley again after promises.

No sentiment in football when we are talking 100's of millions in the bank and Burnley have got used to sitting at the rich top table & wont want to lose it. Ashley promised funds for Jan but he did exactly the same last season when there was an offer on the table (yet he still goes away on holiday) and Benitez is sounding like a beaten man with his recent comments.

He always does though.

I think Benitez constantly uses the press as his mouthpiece against Ashley. Despite all his moaning he's still there which tells me there's a bit more to this. He must have had other job offers.

Newcastle fans hate Ashley, yet the team are fairly comfortable in the Premier League (well as much as we are), they have a Champions League winning manager in charge and play fairly attractive football. The club is profitable as well. I really think they should be careful what they wish for......

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I would suggest either Wagner or Dyche and be replaced by the emergency fireman Sam Allardyce.
Can't see Allardyce wanting to go to Huddersfield. He usually takes on teams who have a decent squad, but are underperforming, ie Palace and Everton.

Huddersfield don't have a decent squad.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Dyche won’t be sacked. He has overachieved at Burnley with the squad at his disposal and if they were to go down the owners would be asking themselves who is most capable of getting them promoted again. Dyche has achieved that twice and knows the Championship well, so other than our own CH i’d suggest there is no one else more qualified than him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That's not the question though. The question is: who out there is better than a manager who has built the team and has already got them promoted out of a tricky division ... twice?

I think that if he is sacked, which I expect if they do not improve, Dyche's failing will be the squad he assembled aren't good enough to stay up or IMHO to get promoted back .despite the years and money collected in the top league. The Chairman would possibly consider X or Y more likely to be able to improve that. I do not know who X or Y are but the chairman will have an idea.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Dyche won’t be sacked. He has overachieved at Burnley with the squad at his disposal and if they were to go down the owners would be asking themselves who is most capable of getting them promoted again. Dyche has achieved that twice and knows the Championship well, so other than our own CH i’d suggest there is no one else more qualified than him.
Exactly - why should Burnley sack Dyche? He is a good manager, and is more likely to get them back up again if need be than anybody else - and above all, he fits the club.
There are other managers like this - Howe at Bournemouth, Wagner at Huddersfield and of course our very own CH. All are building long-term projects, and all are the likeliest to steer their teams through ups and downs. Sacking them would be sheer stupidity (not that club owners are exempt from stupidity of course!) The importance of being a 'good fit' cannot be over-emphasised; Mourinho, for instance, is a top manager, but a complete misfit from day 1 at ManU; that didn't end well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here