Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

S,o,s save our stanley

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I think the explanation letter cited here was a more than adequate explanation for what has happened. Remember Stanley pretty much started from scratch and it costs a lot to run a club ... they became victims of their own success.

It is imperative that clubs like this (this isn't the same as Leeds you know) survive otherwise Brighton could well be next because we all know that the BIG clubs will never be allowed to go under.

I wonder how mnay of the people trying to take the financial high ground on this forum also hate MK Dons and love AFC Wimbledon..... that is called hypocrisy.

This is going to sound a bit harsh, but 'victims of their own success' basically means spending beyond their means. If you can't spend the money to be competitive in a certain division, sadly so be it.

I completely agree with your second point though, we cannot allow there to be one rule for Leeds, Leicester, Southampton etc and another for the likes of Stanley. Not that saying that changes my feeling that football is rotten to the core with its' debt culture and exploitation of insolvency law though.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Fund raising match between Burnley and Accrington Stanley...........
Last nights game finished Burnley 4 Accy Stanley 0 in this fund raising game held at turf moor official att 5,301 which is excellent considering the game was thrown to gether at short notice,somewhere in the region of £45k was raised ,which I'll verifier later this week...thanks for asking

Yes, excellent gesture by Burnley. Putting many of the rest of the PL to shame.

:thumbsup:

PM me some details about how fans can donate, and I'll stick them in next week's match programme.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
... I wonder how mnay of the people trying to take the financial high ground on this forum also hate MK Dons and love AFC Wimbledon..... that is called hypocrisy.
I'm sorry, you're really going to have to explain that. Just for the record I don't hate MK Dons and love AFC Wimbledon - I have no strong feelings about either club - but I don't see how that situation bears any resemblence at all to the Stanley situation.

mabasfc

Sep 7, 2009
Yes, excellent gesture by Burnley. Putting many of the rest of the PL to shame.

:thumbsup:

PM me some details about how fans can donate, and I'll stick them in next week's match programme.
:thumbsup: P M sent thank you:bowdown::clap2:

Chimer asfc

Sep 9, 2009
Hi all ... joined to back up mabasfc in flying the Stanley flag ....

Imho, we didn't spend above our means to get into the League. We got in, rather to our surprise, earlier than we should have done, and very definitely didn't then splash out on players. As a result, after half dozen or so winning seasons including 3 promotions, we struggled from the start on the pitch and promptly lost a lot of fair-weather fans which screwed the budget, not helped by the ground improvements we had to make under Leage rules, including 1000 extra seats nobody wanted to sit in.

Somewhere along the way someone lost the financial bubble leading to today's situation. But most of us are eternally grateful to the "former Chairman" for getting us back into the league in the first place - which most of us who were around in '62 thought would never happen.

And we will also be eternally grateful to football fans of all colours who help us to avoid a repetition 47 years later. So thanks to everyone on here who's been sympathetic, whether they can help financially or not - and for those that aren't, we fully understand nobody owes us anything.

Thanks for listening ...

On Stanley On !!

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Sorry,don't agree with this "living beyond their means,...just another crappy northern town in an area where there are loads of other teams" stuff.Stanley have supporters - just as we do - and they are probably mortified by the prospect of losing their league team - just as we were,except it has happened to them once already. How about "Brighton can go out of business because Crystal Palace is just up the road,they can go and watch them instead."

Doesn't really work for me,so I've sent a small donation on the grounds that every little helps.

And good luck with it.

mabasfc

Sep 7, 2009
Total amount from the burnley friendly was £35k with the running total in the region of £60k athe moment and with tonights gate money and money which the players staff and managment team are putting in should take he total sofar over £100k in the first wk,if anyone on this message board has donated i thank you! You a true football supporter..

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
Total amount from the burnley friendly was £35k with the running total in the region of £60k athe moment and with tonights gate money and money which the players staff and managment team are putting in should take he total sofar over £100k in the first wk,if anyone on this message board has donated i thank you! You a true football supporter..

few quid donated - good luck!

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Pleased you got a result tonight, but also disappointed as it would have put Grimsby bottom of the table, guess i'll have to wait until next week for that.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
I echo that , good luck with your plight and listening to your vice chairman ( I think ) on 6-0-6 made a fantastic impression that the club will be stronger if they can dig themselves out of this one - you guys have my full support and fingers crossed you pull through - wouldn't mind you guys in the cup actually :)

Exactly my sentiments!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here