Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ryder Cup Life Changer

Devon Seagull

Sep 25, 2004
South Devon
How about this for a true story

My wife's secretary's daughter works at a hospital in Bristol. One of her senior colleagues is really keen on golf and saved up for two years so that he could stay at Celtic Manor to watch all of the Ryder Cup. The room cost £3,000.

Two weeks before the Ryder Cup started he received a call from the hotel to say that they were inundated with requests for rooms and that they had someone (they were very secretive) who would offer him £7,000 for his reservation. He told them that he had saved up for this tournament for two years and for him it was a once in a life time opportunity to watch the Ryder Cup close up and stay amongst the players, so he politely declined. A few hours later he had another call from the hotel saying would £10,000 change his mind, again he said no. The following day the hotel called again to ask him how much his mortgage was? he told them he had a mortgage of £70,000, they said they would call him back. The hotel called him back and said if he was prepared to give up his reservation their client would send him a cheque for £70,000. Two days later a cheque with a covering letter confirming the agreement came from Celtic Manor............

the name on the cheque David R Beckham

true story

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I hope he framed the cheque rather than cashed it.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing

My wife's secretary's daughter works at a hospital in Bristol. One of her senior colleagues is really keen on golf and saved up for two years so that he could stay at Celtic Manor to watch all of the Ryder Cup. The room cost £3,000.

Two weeks before the Ryder Cup started he received a call from the hotel to say that they were inundated with requests for rooms and that they had someone (they were very secretive) who would offer him £7,000 for his reservation. He told them that he had saved up for this tournament for two years and for him it was a once in a life time opportunity to watch the Ryder Cup close up and stay amongst the players, so he politely declined. A few hours later he had another call from the hotel saying would £10,000 change his mind, again he said no. The following day the hotel called again to ask him how much his mortgage was? he told them he had a mortgage of £70,000, they said they would call him back. The hotel called him back and said if he was prepared to give up his reservation their client would send him a cheque for £70,000. Two days later a cheque with a covering letter confirming the agreement came from Celtic Manor............

true story

Totally believe it.

Some friends of ours new of a couple who where to have their wedding reception at Amberely Castle. They had a call asking if they would change it as an important guest wanted the venue at the same time. They said no, could not change the date as family where coming from abroad etc etc, where then offered by those wanting the venue to pay for their honeymoon and wedding and fly family over another day, they still said no, to cut along story short they eventually where offered to pay off the couples mortgage about 80-100K if they would give up their wedding day/reception there. Of course they eventually agreed.

It seems it was David & Victoria Beckham wanting the venue to host a birthday bash for Elton John.

D

Deleted User X18H

Right Sky Sports 2 is on record is on a few bets are on....

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
And that my friends sums up what is so fundamentally wrong with our society.

TNBA

TTF

As I say, I don't believe it, but I don't get your point IF it is true, DB earnt his money fair and square (maybe overpaid, but that's not his fault), he can choose to spend it as he wishes. As for the alledged recipient, few people would turn down the chancde to pay off thier mortgage. So, I don't see the problem.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

true story

I heard the exact story amount someone who had booked a wedding reception at Alton Towers and they kept getting phone calls offering increasing sums of cash before finally getting the call asking about their mortgage and then getting a cheque from David Beckham to pay it off as he was desperate to have the whole place to him and his family.

I was pretty dubious about it when I heard it but now I've seen this I'm even more dubious! Sounds like one of those hoax emails that goes round and round and round. I wonder how many people's mortgages he has paid off?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Does not sound true to me, surely a reservation does not guarantee the room, so the hotel would sort something else out in this situation. And it may be only me, but I don't recall seeing DB at Celtic Manor last week.

Urban myth, says I.

Agree. If Beckham was there the cameras would have been all over him

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I heard the exact story amount someone who had booked a wedding reception at Alton Towers and they kept getting phone calls offering increasing sums of cash before finally getting the call asking about their mortgage and then getting a cheque from David Beckham to pay it off as he was desperate to have the whole place to him and his family.

I was pretty dubious about it when I heard it but now I've seen this I'm even more dubious! Sounds like one of those hoax emails that goes round and round and round. I wonder how many people's mortgages he has paid off?

Yup, it is a hoax. I've heard about 4 different versions of this story now, and all of them end up with cheques from David Beckham.

Nice try though.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)

I can assure you its true. but understand people doubting it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here