Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Ryanair don't you just love em ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They have ambition but Ryan has a fleet of over 500 already, about 4 times the size

Funny thing is, despite countless flights, I’ve never flown Ryanair. Wanting convenience at this end, I’ve never used Luton or Stansted.

Don’t know much about Ryanair apart from Michael O’Leary is a direct talking wind up merchant (all publicity is good publicity), and that punters seem eternally angry about them …. then use them again

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Always do your homework when it comes to booking flights if you are taking any more than a very small carry on bag as the bottom line is rarely what you pay.

easyJet pricing can be good but if you need to add bags - carry on or hold - then the likes of BA can often come in about the same and sometimes cheaper depending on how far in advance you buy.

I fly a lot with work (most weeks) short and long haul. BA are at the absolute bottom of the pile as far as I’m concerned. Ageing fleet, miserable staff, horrific website and customer service, and always late. The less unionised more nimble airlines seem to have come out of COVID in much better shape - Ryanair has been probably the best and most reliable post lockdown as they kept their staff on, and have their own baggage handlers and other staff at many airports.

Jul 7, 2003
I fly a lot with work (most weeks) short and long haul. BA are at the absolute bottom of the pile as far as I’m concerned. Ageing fleet, miserable staff, horrific website and customer service, and always late. The less unionised more nimble airlines seem to have come out of COVID in much better shape - Ryanair has been probably the best and most reliable post lockdown as they kept their staff on, and have their own baggage handlers and other staff at many airports.

I used BA as an example but what I said applies to many airlines - budget doesn't always mean cheap.

As for your issues with BA, post COVID, I've not has issues with BA (maybe I'm just lucky) whereas easyJet and Vueling have both cancelled flights on me at short notice.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Wouldn’t disagree. Used to do mountains of business travel, and still have several trips a year for holidays. Easyjet is at least the equal of BA and better on many measures unless you want to stump up for Business class, which usually isn’t worth it on short haul given the price differential (even then you’ll still get old planes and grumpy staff, and the in-flight service isn’t a patch on what it used to be). I don’t use Ryanair as rarely go from anywhere other than LGW or LHR.

BA arbitrarily cancelled a flight we were due to take next month (‘no longer operating that route’), luckily managed to rebook (adjusting the dates a bit, the hotel were able to accommodate) with Tui (previous experience with them has been ok too). I sense BA are in the shite….they keep reducing and extending gold and silver tier memberships and bombarding us with adverts and offers. Once I’ve used up the airmiles and companion vouchers I’ve still got I’ll happily look elsewhere.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Consigned to 17:15 weekdays, BBC1 (today excepted)

Yoda

English & European
As for your issues with BA, post COVID, I've not has issues with BA (maybe I'm just lucky) whereas easyJet and Vueling have both cancelled flights on me at short notice.

Same here with BA. Used them for flights over Easter to Faro for 10 days. Only £350 for the two of us (booked beginning of Jan) and 20kg luggage each. No delays or issues at either end despite all the scare mongering on the news at the time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
November Madeira beckons and nine nights from Manchester myself and her indoors £161 return. Can't fault it until baggage allowance for which is just 10KG,s a case/luggage for which we are paying £89 for. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

9 t-shirts, 9 pairs of socks and 3 pairs of pants doesn’t come to anywhere near 10 kilos? :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As for EasyJet, I use them a lot and I find them far better than most other airlines. Yes they have cancelled on me , but then most airlines have had to rework their timetables in real time as they came out of the pandemic. I also expect this to continue and it is just something we will have to live with for a while. To have any other expectation is wrong.

Where they have been very good is with their communication, moving me onto other flights and/or getting refunds; one often finds out the true stength of an business when things do not go to plan. I will also say one has to be realistic about the current situation, i.e. flying is still not the same as it was pre-pandemic, one has to be flexible, and with this in mind I really feel they have done very well in a difficult climate. I have felt looked after and that's all I really want.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As for Ryan Air, their Twitter account is quite amusing at times.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Why anyone would choose Ryanair to fly on is beyond me .

Going to De Zerbi’s homeland tomorrow for 4 nights. The nearest airport to where I’m going - where the Missus’s family live - is only served by Ryanair. Otherwise it’s a 3 hr train journey from Bologna. That’s why.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Why fly Ryanair ?
Two pounds fifty pee each way to Dublin a few years back, that's why.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
As someone who uses Ryan Air reasonably regularly given my local airport is Birmingham, I've worked out how to play the system. They will charge you for Printing boarding passes if you forget, excess baggage if you go over weight, won't let you on the plane with hand luggage if the bag is too big. No amount of pleading your case is any use either.

Follow the rules and throw cash at it (i.e buy a bag for the hold). If you do that, they aren't bad. As others have mentioned they are still staffed up from Covid, have their own baggage handlers and are reasonably punctual (good luck on the 4th flight of the day). As for the yellow livery, it is like sitting in a nuclear power station.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I've never flown with them. Always been very happy with easyjet from Gatwick. But having my 1st go at it in October, flying from Stansted - for my 6th holiday of the year

6 holidays in 1 year, must have won lotto.
I usually get 1 holiday in 6 years.

Jul 7, 2003
6 holidays in 1 year, must have won lotto.
I usually get 1 holiday in 6 years.

Your most recent holiday was probably still further distance than [MENTION=26595]mothy[/MENTION] had gone for his six holidays added up:lol: Don't forget, your luggage also had a extra holiday as well:angel:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here