Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Russian warships passing through English Channel will we be able to see them ?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Hope for a good turn out from the Stop the War Coalition, have they got a boat ....... :D
They won't do that... you know it's only the war mongering West that bombs aid convoys and hospitals....... Russia are the world's peacemakers.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I tried this yesterday, then realised that military vessels on active service are hardly likely to advertise themselves are they, friend od foe?
They are obliged to maintain their ID signals unless on operations.... they are on transit at the moment.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
During a period of less tension and better relations with the Russians I had the opportunity to board a Russian naval vessel back in my Navy days and if that was indicative of their Navy which I think it was then I wouldn't be overly concerned. The crews are poorly paid and treated like shit and bordering on mutinous at times, the living conditions are terrible. The ships themselves are very badly maintained which is very apparent in the plume of black belching smoke coming from the Kuznetzov - that is a very sick engine room, no wonder there is a tug accompanying it at all times. The technology on Russian ships is generally 20 years or more out of date and constantly breaking down, most certainly not state of the art. The Russians however are very accomplished at portraying a totally different picture of reality and this is very much a natural Russian characteristic, their ships will look the part and the one I spent a few hours on had very many layers of fresh paint covering everything to make it look nice and new and shiny. The strangest thing I saw was on various parts of the upper deck were areas of timber storage that had been painted over, the timber was for use in damage control if the ship was hit or damaged, the timber had so many layers of paint it was immovable and virtually welded in place by about 20 layers of paint! This was the same for many other pieces of upper deck equipment, rendered completely useless by several layers of paint. I was certainly less fearful of the Russian ships after that visit. The Kuznetzov itself certainly looks the part but as an operational aircraft carrier it is nowhere near the level of the US or our new class of carriers currently being completed, its questionable whether or not it actually has the technical ability to carry out any proper combat operations to any level of success. This is nothing more than a sabre rattling exercise by Putin much like his airforce flying their massive but ancient bombers north of Scotland on a regular basis. If the Kuznetzov makes it all the way to Syria without breaking down or needing a tow I would be most surprised, that black smoke it really not a good sign and she's 30 years old which is getting on a bit for a warship.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Radar? Can hardly miss the black smoke belching out of the aircraft carrier :lol:

Russian-ships-set-to-pass-English-channel.jpg

Looks like the Papal navy voting for a pope :)

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
During a period of less tension and better relations with the Russians I had the opportunity to board a Russian naval vessel back in my Navy days and if that was indicative of their Navy which I think it was then I wouldn't be overly concerned. The crews are poorly paid and treated like shit and bordering on mutinous at times, the living conditions are terrible. The ships themselves are very badly maintained which is very apparent in the plume of black belching smoke coming from the Kuznetzov - that is a very sick engine room, no wonder there is a tug accompanying it at all times. The technology on Russian ships is generally 20 years or more out of date and constantly breaking down, most certainly not state of the art. The Russians however are very accomplished at portraying a totally different picture of reality and this is very much a natural Russian characteristic, their ships will look the part and the one I spent a few hours on had very many layers of fresh paint covering everything to make it look nice and new and shiny. The strangest thing I saw was on various parts of the upper deck were areas of timber storage that had been painted over, the timber was for use in damage control if the ship was hit or damaged, the timber had so many layers of paint it was immovable and virtually welded in place by about 20 layers of paint! This was the same for many other pieces of upper deck equipment, rendered completely useless by several layers of paint. I was certainly less fearful of the Russian ships after that visit. The Kuznetzov itself certainly looks the part but as an operational aircraft carrier it is nowhere near the level of the US or our new class of carriers currently being completed, its questionable whether or not it actually has the technical ability to carry out any proper combat operations to any level of success. This is nothing more than a sabre rattling exercise by Putin much like his airforce flying their massive but ancient bombers north of Scotland on a regular basis. If the Kuznetzov makes it all the way to Syria without breaking down or needing a tow I would be most surprised, that black smoke it really not a good sign and she's 30 years old which is getting on a bit for a warship.
This makes me feel a little better

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Looks like the Papal navy voting for a pope :)

They are quite dirty ships in terms of their propulsion systems, they are not modern gas turbine or nuclear powered but old steam turbines powered by dirty boilers that are not even designed to burn relatively clean marine diesel but instead burn heavy fuel oil hence the plumes of black smoke belching out. Very troublesome power plants ever since they were installed and unreliable.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
They are quite dirty ships in terms of their propulsion systems, they are not modern gas turbine or nuclear powered but old steam turbines powered by dirty boilers that are not even designed to burn relatively clean marine diesel but instead burn heavy fuel oil hence the plumes of black smoke belching out. Very troublesome power plants ever since they were installed and unreliable.
It's the Russian military all over.... the top 2% of equipment and personel are good... spec forces are decent enough.. below that it's poorly supported, poorly managed and awash with under motivated conscripts.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
When the West had satellites going up into space on a regular basis, the Russians built nuclear silos which could be seen from space. They appeared to have numerous bases all built and ready to fire. Except that most of them were just built of wood and empty inside, placed there just for show.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
It's the Russian military all over.... the top 2% of equipment and personel are good... spec forces are decent enough.. below that it's poorly supported, poorly managed and awash with under motivated conscripts.

When the West had satellites going up into space on a regular basis, the Russians built nuclear silos which could be seen from space. They appeared to have numerous bases all built and ready to fire. Except that most of them were just built of wood and empty inside, placed there just for show.

If you lot carry on Bozza will get a visit from a couple of heavies in ill-fitting suits !!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

A bit of a give away, if at war! :)

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
If you lot carry on Bozza will get a visit from a couple of heavies in ill-fitting suits !!
Not Russians then!!!... Ted Baker tailor made suits are the order of the day for aspiring eastern European assassins these days.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I, quite surprisingly to me, walked at a seemingly faster pass than the Russian Fleet as it disappeared from view, due south just to the east of The Sovereign Light House as viewed from West St. Leonard's sea front. Whatever they had on the edge of our territorial waters protecting the aircraft carrier further out, be it a destroyer or frigate, was smoking considerably. This was circa 1500-1530 time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here