[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I'm concerned, but not surprised, that Turkey appears to be the destination of choice for the fleeing Russian elite.

A reminder that Turkey is a member of NATO.

I anticipate many questions for Erdogan, who thinks he's a statesman.
'You can have a Russian in return for letting Turkey join the EU'.
More than one I'd hope

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I'm concerned, but not surprised, that Turkey appears to be the destination of choice for the fleeing Russian elite.

A reminder that Turkey is a member of NATO.

I anticipate many questions for Erdogan, who thinks he's a statesman.
'You can have a Russian in return for letting Turkey join the EU'.
Where would Putin go do you think? China?... Congo... Syria... who'd have him?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Where would Putin go do you think? China?... Congo... Syria... who'd have him?
It's only a guess, but I suspect there are still areas of Siberia which are uninhabited. I remember reading about a whole family who lived alone in the taiga, who had no contact with the outside world for over 50 years.

I don't know how practical or feasible it would be for Putin to get lost there these days.

More likely is that he would take his own life.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

The Kyiv Independent
⚡Speculations circulate regarding Russian President Vladimir Putin’s whereabouts amid the Wagner Group’s armed rebellion in Russia.

Independent Russian media outlet Agentstvo said Putin’s presidential plane took off from an airport in Moscow at around 2 p.m. Moscow time, headed northwest.

However, it has not been confirmed whether Putin was onboard, and Putin’s spokesperson Dmitry Peskov claimed that Putin remains at the Kremlin.
4.0Kviews14:57

The Kyiv Independent
⚡Latvia has bolstered its border security and is turning away Russians leaving the country amid the Wagner Group’s armed rebellion.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
It's only a guess, but I suspect there are still areas of Siberia which are uninhabited. I remember reading about a whole family who lived alone in the taiga, who had no contact with the outside world for over 50 years.

I don't know how practical or feasible it would be for Putin to get lost there these days.

More likely is that he would take his own life.
I don't think he'd take his life... he'd find somewhere that'd take him, he's not short of a few Bob.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Out of a window hopefully
A rather high one with a bit of luck - but with just enough soft ground so it doesn't happen quick
All of the people that have suffered - it would be a shame if he didn't suffer too - at least for a bit

Thank you. To be honest, the mood is a bit high today, we are rooting for both teams and hope that they will eat each other
👍

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Who will Kadyrov fall in with when they get to Rostov?... they are currently stuck in traffic
I read in the BBC that they have to go on the M4. In that case it'll take ages. Never ending roadworks.

One thing folk are forgetting is that this Wagner chap is very pro-war and has often talked about tactical nuclear weapons. This lull and retreat may help the Ukrainian war effort, but lets not pretend that this is good news evolving here. Russia isn't about to become and land of milk and honey where we can all go for a palm tree welcome and happy Pride. Prigozhin is a Bond villain's Jaws with brains. A Putin nasty stooge gone rogue, or rather, more rogue.

I'd hate to be a Russian citizen right now, and unfortunately I have friends who are.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I read in the BBC that they have to go on the M4. In that case it'll take ages. Never ending roadworks.

One thing folk are forgetting is that this Wagner chap is very pro-war and has often talked about tactical nuclear weapons. This lull and retreat may help the Ukrainian war effort, but lets not pretend that this is good news evolving here. Russia isn't about to become and land of milk and honey where we can all go for a palm tree welcome and happy Pride. Prigozhin is a Bond villain's Jaws with brains. A Putin nasty stooge gone rogue, or rather, more rogue.

I'd hate to be a Russian citizen right now, and unfortunately I have friends who are.
I agree. He's a brutal man. We're enjoying the theatre of watching Putin's Russia suffer a little...but the outcome re Ukraine is very uncertain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports