[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
I see that prick Putin is threatening to use nukes again.
“They’re almost ready”
Yeah, yeah. Zip it, fat face.

I cannot wait to see that bastard hanged and dragged through the streets. I hope he’s beaten like a piñata.
Unfortunatley as thing stand in Russia at the mo I can see another total bastard replacing him.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Usual caveats with announcements by Russians:

It might be true, might have been made under duress, or might be some elaborate deceit. A bit like the Prigozhin spat with the Russian MOD/Shoigu.

If it's true, then he felt safe enough to make the speech to not be in immediate danger from Putin. Perhaps the balance of power in Moscow is shifting.
That could all be correct - time will tell 👍. I admit I sometimes fall for wanting to believe any Russian that criticises Putin and his cronies. Naive of me, as it's rarely that simple.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
The fear factor is gone. Sure the little guys will still get plucked off the street for wearing the wrong coloured jumper, but anyone who has 10 to 15 armed men who will defend him is likely invulnerable, such is the over commitment of resources into Ukraine.

This Prigozhin contracts thing is as far as I (we) know still unresolved and this will come to a head in the next week or so. Without an army, the guy is probably a gonner, so fascinating to see how it plays out. My guess is that Putin will back down first on this. But there is a high level of unpredictability on how all these events will play out.
If the theatre is true, Prigozhin's army may get their social/death payments in return for a loose affiliation with the Russian MOD. I still think Putin isn't bored yet with watching Prigozhin and Shoigu have fisticuffs.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
If the theatre is true, Prigozhin's army may get their social/death payments in return for a loose affiliation with the Russian MOD. I still think Putin isn't bored yet with watching Prigozhin and Shoigu have fisticuffs.
Whilst the two them are having fisticuffs Putin is safe.….

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
“They’re almost ready”

I cannot wait to see that bastard hanged and dragged through the streets. I hope he’s beaten like a piñata.
What, his nukes are nearly ready? He's been threatening to use them for over a year, does each one have to get dragged by a single donkey across a ploughed field or something?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What, his nukes are nearly ready? He's been threatening to use them for over a year, does each one have to get dragged by a single donkey across a ploughed field or something?
I’ve been counting and he brings nukes up in his rhetoric about once every six weeks.

I shall imagine he’ll continue to do so until he’s either sent to one of his own gulags or is shot through the back of the head by one of his own.

I’d be happy with either outcome.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
IMG_9408.jpeg

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
That could all be correct - time will tell 👍. I admit I sometimes fall for wanting to believe any Russian that criticises Putin and his cronies. Naive of me, as it's rarely that simple.
We've all done it. I did it when you first posted that tweet of Strelkov.
With family in Ukraine, you have more reason than anyone for indulging in a spot of wishful thinking.

But one thing that is not often mentioned about this shocking regime, apart from warmongering and war crimes, is that they will leave a lasting legacy of the whole world not believing a single word a Russian tells them. There is no integrity, no honesty, and no credibility. None. Zero.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I’ve been counting and he brings nukes up in his rhetoric about once every six weeks.

I shall imagine he’ll continue to do so until he’s either sent to one of his own gulags or is shot through the back of the head by one of his own.

I’d be happy with either outcome.

Where are your nukes, Vlad? The ones you keep threatening everyone with?

Oh I’ve got better ones now.

Yeah?

Yep?

Where?

Oh they’re coming.

When?

Soon. They’re nearly ready. I’ll show you! I’ll show you all!

Vlad?

Yes?

f*** off, Vlad.

You've changed your tune.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But one thing that is not often mentioned about this shocking regime, apart from warmongering and war crimes, is that they will leave a lasting legacy of the whole world not believing a single word a Russian tells them. There is no integrity, no honesty, and no credibility. None. Zero.

Unfortunately, I don't think that means anything. That's always been my view of Russia (look what they did, well, at any time in the last 100 years), and I feel the same about China - they will do whatever they fancy that suits them, and there will always be crap countries happy to do business with them.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
“They’re almost ready”

BBC Moscow correspondent Steve Rosenberg with an interesting update on that today from within!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Unfortunately, I don't think that means anything. That's always been my view of Russia (look what they did, well, at any time in the last 100 years), and I feel the same about China - they will do whatever they fancy that suits them, and there will always be crap countries happy to do business with them.
Including the UK!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
2 things done in recent days made me smile. Finland has stated it will stop all its foreign aid payments going to countries who support Russias genocide or still do business with them, and will instead allocate those states money to Ukraine reconstruction (why would we support nations that side with fascists he'll bent on destroying the Liberal rules based order?)

And the second is some direct protest in Sweden.

Some people started protesting about Mondelez who own loads of household brands including Cadburys, as they still trade in Russia (and western companies still trading paid 136 billion $ in Russian taxes in 2022), that's then lead to supermarkets pulling their products, Stockholm regional assembly banning them, and now Mondelez saying their scaling back Russian operation. Their should be more of this and especially in France which has the largest contingent of still trading companies Inc Danone, Lacoste, Citroen etc. They're inadvertent sponsors of genocide.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I love this twitter account but can't decide whether the "disinfolklore" stuff is genius or nonsense.

Anyway, this tweet makes a lot of sense :

Last edited:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Of course it means something.

Sure, some countries still trade with Russia, but the much smaller number of trading partners means the laws of demand and supply are working well, and not in Russia's favour. It doesn't achieve a good price for its products when it is the seller, and pays top dollar for imports that few countries are able and willing to supply.

When Russia goes to the market to buy something, say attack drones, very few countries are prepared to break the sanctions and supply them. So the price is high. I saw a program on Russian state TV, in which the host Vladimir Solovyov, was lamenting the cost of buying the drones from Iran, and asked why they could not be made in Russia. The reason appeared to sail over his head, a bit like one of the drones. Iranian drones are expensive because Iran knows nobody else will supply Russia with them. So they charge what they like. Russia can't make them itself, because it can't source the components from the west. It's a bugger isn't it?

Russia has lost the trust and goodwill of half the world's wealthiest trading nations. Over twenty years of global trading up in smoke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports