[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Labelling the entire Russian 'race' in the way the previous poster did is racist. I know Russian scientists and I listen to a lot of Russian music. They are just like anyone else from anywhere else. Go back and read the post that @Swansman was replying to (and also see the response he got). As I said, playing the man.

And you have made the cardinal error of arguing motive. The logical reply is that you are only saying that because.....I will refrain from going there.

Yes, it has been a good thread and there is no chance of it being binned.
Bollocks! In the context of the Ukrainian war, calling Russians 'scum' is no more racist than the apparantly acceptable (in toleramt and self-certified uber-tolerant circles) stereotyping of all Welsh people as Sheep-Shaggers. or Liverpudlians as bin-dippers.

But hey, no prob. man, eh - that's just bantz, innit. I'm out of this virtue-fest now - long may this thread stay out of the Bear Pit. I won't put it there ..... over to you, if protecting virtue signalling (aka calling out racism that isn't) is that important to you.

I'll just carry on opposing racism, as I have for the last 60 years. Real racism that is - not some virtual signalling from some tin-pot virtual signaller who thinks he has sniffed out something when there is nothing to sniff out.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bollocks! In the context of the Ukrainian war, calling Russians 'scum' is no more racist than the apparantly acceptable (in toleramt and self-certified uber-tolerant circles) stereotyping of all Welsh people as Sheep-Shaggers. or Liverpudlians as bin-dippers.

But hey, no prob. man, eh - that's just bantz, innit. I'm out of this virtue-fest now - long may this thread stay ut of the Bear Pit. I won't put it there ..... over to you, if protecting virtue signalling (aka calling out racism that isn't) is that important to you.

I'll just carry on opposing racism, as I have for the last 60 years. Real racism that is - not some virtual signalling from some tin-pot virtual signaller who thinks he has sniffed out something when there is nothing to sniff out.
Neither of which I tolerate.

The rest of your post is best left unread :facepalm:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
As long as NATO wants to build military bases on Russias neighbouring countries, Russia will try to control those neighbouring countries.

Quite normal. I'm willing to bet the UK would do similar if Ireland and Russia one day suddenly became best friends and Russia wanted to put a big fat military base with nukes and stuff in Dublin.
Don't be so dull.... There are already NATO basis across Europe including Turkey and the Baltics... Have any of them waged war on Russia?.. the answer is no, NATO is a wholly defensive organisation... Only taking action to defend those who request it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Don't be so dull.... There are already NATO basis across Europe including Turkey and the Baltics... Have any of them waged war on Russia?.. the answer is no, NATO is a wholly defensive organisation... Only taking action to defend those who request it.
The post you quoted is like a year old or something.

NATO is not a defensive organisation, it is imperialistic and invasive, but I think mods etc. prefer to keep this thread about the current war if I understand it right, which is sensible. Would happily discuss the subject elsewhere however.

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016

NATO is not a defensive organisation, it is imperialistic and invasive, but I think mods etc. prefer to keep this thread about the current war if I understand it right, which is sensible. Would happily discuss the subject elsewhere however.
Now I know you are without doubt, a windup merchant. You Swedes are v happy to join NATO now. And you will be welcome to enhance the defence of our north Eastern/Baltic flank alongside our Finnish friends

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
As long as NATO wants to build military bases on Russias neighbouring countries, Russia will try to control those neighbouring countries.

Quite normal. I'm willing to bet the UK would do similar if Ireland and Russia one day suddenly became best friends and Russia wanted to put a big fat military base with nukes and stuff in Dublin.
Just one slight problem with that analysis.

Its total bollox.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Now I know you are without doubt, a windup merchant. You Swedes are v happy to join NATO now. And you will be welcome to enhance the defence of our north Eastern/Baltic flank alongside our Finnish friends

Just one slight problem with that analysis.

Its total bollox.

Lets talk the nature of NATO over there and keep Ukraine & Russia here, eh?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I have a friend who visited St Peterburg, whilst in a square they were sat on a bench and a dark suited man came and sat next to them, after a while in broken English he inquired,
Russian "Where are you from ?"
Friend "England"
Russian "Oh nice" a pause "Why are you here ?"
Friend "Urr to see and experience Russia and it's wonderful history and buildings etc"
Russian "hmmm"
a pause of a minute or so
Russian "What does the world think of Russia and President Putin?"
another pause while my friend wracked his brain on how to be diplomatic as he felt he was being interrogated.
Friend "Well in Britain we think of Russia as part of the European family historically and there is no doubt that President Putin is a strong confident leader"
Russian "hmmm Strong Leader"

He then got up and walked away without saying another word....

My friend and his wife quickly left the area.
Yes, but did you pick up the folded newspaper he’d casually left on the bench next to you?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I have a friend who visited St Peterburg, whilst in a square they were sat on a bench and a dark suited man came and sat next to them, after a while in broken English he inquired,
Russian "Where are you from ?"
Friend "England"
Russian "Oh nice" a pause "Why are you here ?"
Friend "Urr to see and experience Russia and it's wonderful history and buildings etc"
Russian "hmmm"
a pause of a minute or so
Russian "What does the world think of Russia and President Putin?"
another pause while my friend wracked his brain on how to be diplomatic as he felt he was being interrogated.
Friend "Well in Britain we think of Russia as part of the European family historically and there is no doubt that President Putin is a strong confident leader"
Russian "hmmm Strong Leader"

He then got up and walked away without saying another word....

My friend and his wife quickly left the area.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

There’s nothing to discuss …. It’s total bollocks.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
E5A26946-F0F9-48AE-AFF8-B8BD0FDE4124.jpeg

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I’m surprised nobody’s thought to start a thread on this war already TBH

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports