Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

EU leaders unlock €50bn support package for Ukraine​

That is one hell of a statement from the EU. As the US (with an economy ten times the size of pre-war Russia), squabbles and prevaricates, the EU steps right in.

I notice they 'persuaded' Orban to get in line as well. He and his reservations might be worth a closer look. Root out the Russians from 30 years of inveiglement.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Another Russian surface vessel successfully transitions to submarine duties

one of the more strategic consequences of this war is how influential drone have been and will change warfare. the Russian navy appear defensless against this threat, while in the Red Sea can see UK and US have already adapted/prepared.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
one of the more strategic consequences of this war is how influential drone have been and will change warfare. the Russian navy appear defensless against this threat, while in the Red Sea can see UK and US have already adapted/prepared.
I remember an interview with Elon Musk a good year ago. I'm not sure whether he was doing his future gazing routine, or was describing current technology.

The gist was, imagine a swarm of drones, that you cannot defend against. Armed, and with facial recognition software loaded, they storm through a building, checking each person they encounter against the faces on their list. If there's a match, they kill that person. Is this imagination or a currently untested reality?

There is no doubt that drone technology has moved on incredibly rapidly.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Good news

Screenshot_20240201-151145~2.png

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I remember an interview with Elon Musk a good year ago. I'm not sure whether he was doing his future gazing routine, or was describing current technology.

The gist was, imagine a swarm of drones, that you cannot defend against. Armed, and with facial recognition software loaded, they storm through a building, checking each person they encounter against the faces on their list. If there's a match, they kill that person. Is this imagination or a currently untested reality?

There is no doubt that drone technology has moved on incredibly rapidly.
i did see a video mocking up some thing along those lines. seemed a bit far fetched (micro drones with miniture guns) but the principle sounds scarily credible. not much to defend it, local wireless blockers or EMP, bodygaurds armed with large swatters.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
That is one hell of a statement from the EU. As the US (with an economy ten times the size of pre-war Russia), squabbles and prevaricates, the EU steps right in.

I notice they 'persuaded' Orban to get in line as well. He and his reservations might be worth a closer look. Root out the Russians from 30 years of inveiglement.
Persuade..... you could say that, threatened to ruin the Hungarian economy if he didn't, would be more realistic!

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
i did see a video mocking up some thing along those lines. seemed a bit far fetched (micro drones with miniture guns) but the principle sounds scarily credible. not much to defend it, local wireless blockers or EMP, bodygaurds armed with large swatters.
I know what you mean. It's real sci-fi stuff, mixed with a dollop of wishful thinking.

However, it may not be that far off. Have a read/watch of the second link in #13,735, from a Russian eye-witness. This was on the front line, out in the open.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
one of the more strategic consequences of this war is how influential drone have been and will change warfare. the Russian navy appear defensless against this threat, while in the Red Sea can see UK and US have already
Going to be some huge leaps forwards in drone tactics and technology in the next decade. I would say that Western powers have NOT adapted to the threat yet. Shooting down a $500 drone with a $25,000 missile is not practical in the long term and will eventually lead to ship losses that are almost irreplaceable compared to the cost of a drone.

Ships will soon be targeted with drone " swarms " that will overload radar controlled defensive missiles and Phalanx short range cannon. A good reference is HMS Fiji, sunk in WW2 by German bombers in The Med after she had fired off all her AA ammunition. Ships costing hundreds of millions can be sunk by a missile fired amid a swarm of cheap drones . Scary times for big, expensive capital ships let alone destroyers and cruisers.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Many of the "displays" - I think we saw one at the Queen's 90th was hundreds of drones all working together
to portray a sky picture etc. It's done quite easily these days. Hundreds of zones all attacking a target is not
that difficult to be honest. Same principles.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Yeah, maybe... 😂 is he still a puppet/stalking horse though 🤔...for now it's still theatre to me.
Maybe he started out as a puppet/stalking horse, but got above himself, and thought 'hang on a minute, I've got an audience here - maybe I can say what I really feel. This is my moment. What can possibly go wrong?'. Yes, that'll be it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here