[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I genuinely don't care. Just because I engage with this thread doesn't mean that I agree with everyone who posts here, or care what their opinions are.

I'm not Russian, but any fair-minded person will tell you that the last line of your post is racist.

You just carry on rattling your sabre, pal. I'm sure the Russians are hanging on your every word ;-)

There are shooting wars and there are information wars and countries that are fighting do battle on both fronts.
For the rest of us, it can make establishing facts very difficult.
But whilst that's true in this war as in any, it's important to remember that Russia specifically has a long history of brazen lies and disinformation.

It's true, the BBC says so.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I genuinely don't care. Just because I engage with this thread doesn't mean that I agree with everyone who posts here, or care what their opinions are.

I'm not Russian, but any fair-minded person will tell you that the last line of your post is racist.

You just carry on rattling your sabre, pal. I'm sure the Russians are hanging on your every word ;-)
You cared enough to spend ten hours on a work day, trying to convince us that our opinions were wrong and yours were right !

Saying the word of Russians do not match their actions, is not being racist. Russia has a century-old military tradition of deception or 'Maskirovka', which has widened into society, media, TV, and even Russian diplomacy. Masking, camouflage, smoke, mirrors, denial, deception, distraction, false flags, the list goes on. Where have you been?

Of course I don't think you're Russian. But I do think you're like a cat on a hot tin roof.

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
You cared enough to spend ten hours on a work day, trying to convince us that our opinions were wrong and yours were right !

Saying the word of Russians do not match their actions, is not being racist. Russia has a century-old military tradition of deception or 'Maskirovka', which has widened into society, media, TV, and even Russian diplomacy. Masking, camouflage, smoke, mirrors, denial, deception, distraction, false flags, the list goes on. Where have you been?

Of course I don't think you're Russian. But I do think you're like a cat on a hot tin roof.

Hold on there Chief.

I didn't spend 10 hours on here and, as I have stated previously, I didn't post on this thread to convince anyone of anything.

I am indeed aware of 'Maskirovka' but to suggest that only the Russians engage in such behaviour (and not us or the Americans, for example) is utterly ludicrous.

• Haha
Reactions: cjd

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
NATO is a North Atlantic defence pact - in which article 5 applies to the North American and European continents including member state territory ( and naval vessels operating ) North of the Tropic of Cancer.

It absolutely does not need to redefine itself. It is what it is. It is not what it is not. Specifically it is not the military wing of the UN.

It is not a world treaty and as such there is no membership available to eg. Japan, South Korea or Australia.

There are a small handful of European countries which could could still join. eg Ukraine ! Obvious western European non members - Ireland, Austria, Switzerland, Cyprus, Bosnia, Serbia. As far east as Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan. Part of Khazakstan even is in Europe so they could potentially join. Other than that only Mexico is eligible.

It does not have a wider world role and further "expansion" of NATO seems to provoke very loud criticism, although there are occasional musings about a new Pacific/Southern version ( not expansion) of NATO ( Japan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand etc. ) from time to time.

As for Trump.... he could indeed in theory withdraw the USA from NATO which would be significant. Whether he'd have the support for that in Congress ( who couldn't stop it, but could block his budgets if he tried it is a question for American pundits to argue and argue over ).
You didn’t really read my post very well did you? It’s nothing to do with the UN.

I know what NATO is - and what it is, is not working as well as it could in a post-modern world - Neither as a deterrent nor a properly funded fighting force, one that is equipped to defend every NATO member under attack - it makes membership very difficult- how many times does Ukraine need to ask?

The biggest threat to world stability is from non-State paramilitary terrorists and from dictators like Putin - the ‘war on terror’ constantly justifies itself as ‘defence of the US or UK’. The principle of ‘Collective defence’ does not work against an enemy that has no geographical boundaries if we are to believe that our current military engagement around the World, particularly in the Middle East, or indeed Ukraine ( to stop Russian aggression from expanding into NATO countries) - is in defence of the realm. NATO was agreed in a post-world war 2 Cold War environment with Russia that is very different to the proxy war world we live in today.

“Russia's war of aggression against Ukraine has shattered peace in Europe and is causing enormous human suffering and destruction. Russia is the most significant and direct threat to Allies’ security and to peace and stability in the Euro-Atlantic area”

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Hold on there Chief.

I didn't spend 10 hours on here and, as I have stated previously, I didn't post on this thread to convince anyone of anything.

I am indeed aware of 'Maskirovka' but to suggest that only the Russians engage in such behaviour (and not us or the Americans, for example) is utterly ludicrous.
The time period over which you tried to convince us, was ten hours.

I didn't suggest anything about other nationalities.

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
The time period over which you tried to convince us, was ten hours.
As I have stated repeatedly, I wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything. You're never going to let go of that one, are you? :LOL:
I didn't suggest anything about other nationalities.
I think the tone of your your post would suggest otherwise but I'm willing to accept this on face value.

However, I am very happy with your cat analogy. I'm a cat lover so any comparison to cats is fine by me. 🐱

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
As I have stated repeatedly, I wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything. You're never going to let go of that one, are you? :LOL:

I think the tone of your your post would suggest otherwise but I'm willing to accept this on face value.

However, I am very happy with your cat analogy. I'm a cat lover so any comparison to cats is fine by me. 🐱
Thank goodness you've calmed down.

Fair warning: be prepared to be shocked by the extent of Russian disinformation.

'We are not going to invade Ukraine'.
'We are not abducting children. We are taking them to Russia to keep them safe'.
'The A-50 was shot down by friendly fire'.

I believe there are other examples.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
You didn’t really read my post very well did you? It’s nothing to do with the UN.

I know what NATO is - and what it is, is not working as well as it could in a post-modern world - Neither as a deterrent nor a properly funded fighting force, one that is equipped to defend every NATO member under attack - it makes membership very difficult- how many times does Ukraine need to ask?

The biggest threat to world stability is from non-State paramilitary terrorists and from dictators like Putin - the ‘war on terror’ constantly justifies itself as ‘defence of the US or UK’. The principle of ‘Collective defence’ does not work against an enemy that has no geographical boundaries if we are to believe that our current military engagement around the World, particularly in the Middle East, or indeed Ukraine ( to stop Russian aggression from expanding into NATO countries) - is in defence of the realm. NATO was agreed in a post-world war 2 Cold War environment with Russia that is very different to the proxy war world we live in today.

“Russia's war of aggression against Ukraine has shattered peace in Europe and is causing enormous human suffering and destruction. Russia is the most significant and direct threat to Allies’ security and to peace and stability in the Euro-Atlantic area”

I do actually agree with you here.

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
Thank goodness you've calmed down.

Fair warning: be prepared to be shocked by the extent of Russian disinformation.

'We are not going to invade Ukraine'.
'We are not abducting children. We are taking them to Russia to keep them safe'.
'The A-50 was shot down by friendly fire'.

I believe there are other examples.
Calmed down? What on earth are you on about pal? :LOL:

I think you're just on a wind-up now so I will attempt to leave you to your back-pedalling. I tried to be gracious about it ;)

Some of us have work to do today!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
There's been another Ukraine attack on an oil terminal, this time at Tuapse in the Black Sea:

I don't know if it's just me drifting in and out of following, but it seems like these sorts of insurgent attacks are increasing in frequency?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
"Moderate Republican congressman Dan Crenshaw has criticised Maga Republicans not willing to work with Biden on border security and Ukraine aid. Crenshaw told MSNBC that some Republicans were saying “we’ll never vote for it if it’s attached to Ukraine aid. Really? We get meaningful border policy with the Ukraine aid and you’re not going to vote for that? You want Russia to win more than you want border policy changes? Some people say Biden wants it now because it’s helpful to him politically? OK! I want border security, that’s what I told my constituents I would do for them. So if we can get that deal, that’s a no-brainer.”

From the Guardian yesterday...some of the shenanigan discussions in the US.

Grow up.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't know if it's just me drifting in and out of following, but it seems like these sorts of insurgent attacks are increasing in frequency?
I'm sure someone will be along at some point to patronisingly tell me that this actually proves that Russia is winning, and I'm triggered (and probably woke as well, that usually gets thrown in) for thinking otherwise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports