Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
True but to ignore importance of language and culture is to ignore part of the problem - Russia saw these areas as Russian speaking because many were 2nd & 3rd generation Russian. It sold the war to its people as an act liberation. The fact is most did not want liberating and the war has polarised feeling and many Russian speakers are fighting against Russia. It also denies the facts that in parts of the Donbas there was some feeling to go back to Russia be it a strong, vocal minority rather than the majority.

If you look at the voting patterns in Ukraine prior to the war 10% of the seats in their parliament were held by pro-Russia parties. Pro-Russia probably meant more links rather than take over but this is a young democracy formed 30 years ago so its politics are evolving - they have large numbers of parties which are often formed around a person rather than defined policy. Its also a country where 40%+ of the voters lived in the USSR and see it as it was a country of strength. the younger people look towards the

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Here are the actual facts on the language issue debated here. Not from google, but from the Russian-speaking Ukrainian refugee who’s now part of our family.

She’s clear that before Putin illegally took control of Crimea and surreptitiously parts of The Donbas in 2014, the overwhelming majority of Russian speakers in the east felt Ukrainian, they love their country. They just happened to speak Russian. Ukraine was a bilingual country.

So appalled are they about the 8 years insurgency, that en masse they’re all learning Ukrainian and ditching Russian culture. It hurts, but they’re driven to do this. It’s gone the way the foreign dictator Putin would not have wanted.

@raymondo with your real world knowledge of eastern Ukraine, what are your thoughts?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I think Putin is really going to do it.

Use a dirty nuclear bomb, blame it on Ukraine, and "retaliate" with tactical nukes.

I hope he's been told in no uncertain terms that that would mean the end of his army and navy in the area.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Then you've made a mistake. They are 2nd and 3rd generation Ukrainians. Americans, whose grandparents immigrated from Europe, are 3rd generation Americans.
ok - they are second or 3rd generation Ukainians born to Russian ancestors... that does sound clumsy.....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
ok - they are second or 3rd generation Ukainians born to Russian ancestors... that does sound clumsy.....
it is, thats why we say "nth generation $nationality". like an Italian descendant in US might call themselves 3rd generation Italian. they are also American.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Here are the actual facts on the language issue debated here. Not from google, but from the Russian-speaking Ukrainian refugee who’s now part of our family.

She’s clear that before Putin illegally took control of Crimea and surreptitiously parts of The Donbas in 2014, the overwhelming majority of Russian speakers in the east felt Ukrainian, they love their country. They just happened to speak Russian. Ukraine was a bilingual country.

So appalled are they about the 8 years insurgency, that en masse they’re all learning Ukrainian and ditching Russian culture. It hurts, but they’re driven to do this. It’s gone the way the foreign dictator Putin would not have wanted.

@raymondo with your real world knowledge of eastern Ukraine, what are your thoughts?
Hi @Weststander The statement from your Ukrainian refugee doesn't surprise me at all. We don't have family or friends that far East in Donbas so my/our family experiences are from the Central/East, Zaporizhzhia City and surroundings, but Russian is my in-laws first language. Certainly the majority of Russian speakers there (and they are the majority linguistically) feel very strongly Ukrainian: this would be c. 90% true for the 'younger' generation, and here I'm saying 55- 60 years and under. The younger one goes the stronger the Ukrainian allegiance now.
For the much older generation (such as my father in law, now 83) it's much more complicated. He was happily a Russian speaking Ukrainian as I believe are the majority of his generation, but when the invasion happened I believe their thoughts go along the lines..."see, our silly younger generation think they can have western freedom and democracy in this country, but they don't know the Russians, they will never allow it, and now they are here to stop it". So, it's not that they wanted to be 'rescued', they were quite content, but for some of that generation it's just like an acceptance that they live in a borderland and here we go again. The older generation that I have met won't ditch their Russian culture, but the younger ones will I believe. For example, one of our nieces now refuses to speak Russian even though she is fully bilingual.

Also (and one may find this hard to believe...) the occupation in the south happened very fast, and the Russians were very quick to start Russifying Southern Zaporizhzhia oblast. This meant allowing only Russian State TV broadcasts, severing Ukrainian mobile phone networks ( I'm not a technician so don't understand the ins and outs). So, from early days, our in-laws, their villagers and surrounding villages have not seen our daily dose of genocide and war crimes (such as Mariupol and Bucha) - they see Russian propaganda TV - it's so hard for their older generation, who were exhausted with their rural lives anyway, to understand or even believe what's really happened.

And, when Ukraine gained it's independence in 1991, my in-laws (and many of their generation) lost all of their savings that were in the Moscow Bank, lost much of their earned pension entitlement, and much of the infrastructure in their cooperative farming village fell apart soon after independence. This has been extremely hard for the older generation and many of them known to my wife say they wished independence had never happened...because it has made their later years very hard. So, there's a complex mix of feelings for the older rural generation that I'm familiar with...they just want to be left alone to tend their crops and chickens...they really don't care much any more who is in charge.
The younger and middle generation in the village have some access to world news via the internet, so they understand the war crimes committed and some have no doubt explained this to their older parents (who may well not believe stuff that contradicts Russian TV so much)etc...but basically they keep it to themselves because it doesn't pay to speak loudly when occupied.
Sorry, I've gone off piste (a lot!) when you were probably hoping for a one sentence answer 😏. And I probably haven't even answered the question🤦‍♂️. I would ask my wife for her opinion but she's just very angry about the situation so my ramblings will have to suffice, but I hope they give some useful background. Cheers for now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hi @Weststander The statement from your Ukrainian refugee doesn't surprise me at all. We don't have family or friends that far East in Donbas so my/our family experiences are from the Central/East, Zaporizhzhia City and surroundings, but Russian is my in-laws first language. Certainly the majority of Russian speakers there (and they are the majority linguistically) feel very strongly Ukrainian: this would be c. 90% true for the 'younger' generation, and here I'm saying 55- 60 years and under. The younger one goes the stronger the Ukrainian allegiance now.
For the much older generation (such as my father in law, now 83) it's much more complicated. He was happily a Russian speaking Ukrainian as I believe are the majority of his generation, but when the invasion happened I believe their thoughts go along the lines..."see, our silly younger generation think they can have western freedom and democracy in this country, but they don't know the Russians, they will never allow it, and now they are here to stop it". So, it's not that they wanted to be 'rescued', they were quite content, but for some of that generation it's just like an acceptance that they live in a borderland and here we go again. The older generation that I have met won't ditch their Russian culture, but the younger ones will I believe. For example, one of our nieces now refuses to speak Russian even though she is fully bilingual.

Also (and one may find this hard to believe...) the occupation in the south happened very fast, and the Russians were very quick to start Russifying Southern Zaporizhzhia oblast. This meant allowing only Russian State TV broadcasts, severing Ukrainian mobile phone networks ( I'm not a technician so don't understand the ins and outs). So, from early days, our in-laws, their villagers and surrounding villages have not seen our daily dose of genocide and war crimes (such as Mariupol and Bucha) - they see Russian propaganda TV - it's so hard for their older generation, who were exhausted with their rural lives anyway, to understand or even believe what's really happened.

And, when Ukraine gained it's independence in 1991, my in-laws (and many of their generation) lost all of their savings that were in the Moscow Bank, lost much of their earned pension entitlement, and much of the infrastructure in their cooperative farming village fell apart soon after independence. This has been extremely hard for the older generation and many of them known to my wife say they wished independence had never happened...because it has made their later years very hard. So, there's a complex mix of feelings for the older rural generation that I'm familiar with...they just want to be left alone to tend their crops and chickens...they really don't care much any more who is in charge.
The younger and middle generation in the village have some access to world news via the internet, so they understand the war crimes committed and some have no doubt explained this to their older parents (who may well not believe stuff that contradicts Russian TV so much)etc...but basically they keep it to themselves because it doesn't pay to speak loudly when occupied.
Sorry, I've gone off piste (a lot!) when you were probably hoping for a one sentence answer 😏. And I probably haven't even answered the question🤦‍♂️. I would ask my wife for her opinion but she's just very angry about the situation so my ramblings will have to suffice, but I hope they give some useful background. Cheers for now.
‘Our’ Ukrainian refugee said her unlucky mates in the occupied territories are having to pretend to be pleased that they’ve been forcibly handed Russian passports, they sing the Russian national anthem with a fake smile.

They want to live. Those who don’t have their cars and furniture stolen, get beaten to a pulp and worse. Female children and women of literally any age are raped. The hidden psyche of potential barbarians simply doesn’t leave some cultures, no matter the century. This is 1941-1945 all over again (Nazis and Soviets committing atrocities) or the Balkans 1990’s.

They’re predicting a scorched earth policy by Putin when he loses. Cities systematically destroyed, prime agricultural soil poisoned. They’re dealing with an evil piece of shit.

On a positive, she listed the following friendly nations as incredible. Singling them out because they acted on day 1 with tangible help, she felt Kyiv and more would’ve been lost without them:

Canada
USA
UK
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
‘Our’ Ukrainian refugee said her unlucky mates in the occupied territories are having to pretend to be pleased that they’ve been forcibly handed Russian passports, they sing the Russian national anthem with a fake smile.

They want to live. Those who don’t have their cars and furniture stolen, get beaten to a pulp and worse. Female children and women of literally any age are raped. The hidden psyche of potential barbarians simply doesn’t leave some cultures, no matter the century. This is 1941-1945 all over again (Nazis and Soviets committing atrocities) or the Balkans 1990’s.

They’re predicting a scorched earth policy by Putin when he loses. Cities systematically destroyed, prime agricultural soil poisoned. They’re dealing with an evil piece of shit.

On a positive, she listed the following friendly nations as incredible. Singling them out because they acted on day 1 with tangible help, she felt Kyiv and more would’ve been lost without them:

Canada
USA
UK
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
Many thanks to you and @raymondo for your posts today - very interesting / insightful to hear the views of ordinary Ukrainians. We can only hope that the day when they can return to a normal life in their country isn’t too far away - though even when that happens it will take many years and £billions to rebuild and make safe.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Many thanks to you and @raymondo for your posts today - very interesting / insightful to hear the views of ordinary Ukrainians. We can only hope that the day when they can return to a normal life in their country isn’t too far away - though even when that happens it will take many years and £billions to rebuild and make safe.
I’ve learnt so much else, what a beautiful country it is. Lazily I had thought of it as just colossal grain fields.

We hope to visit one day, soon.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Canada
USA
UK
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
It's appalling - is your refugee able to contact her friends there on a daily basis? and does she have family still there?
My wife has real problems talking to her parents, maybe once a fortnight through a neighbour's phone, and feedback from them is sketchy. It seems that the Russian military are not aggressive in their village (thankfully) - they ransacked shops and pharmacy in the early days but now have regular supplies from the south.
We believe they have been forced to take Russian passports, and local teachers are physically threatened if they

Canada
USA
UK
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
It's appalling - as you say the barbaric psyche is still there in big way, encouraged by their leadership.
It must be very difficult for your refugee, still adjustment being here,and is she in daily contact with friends and family still? traumatising all round.
My wife only gets to talk to her mum fortnightly and feedback is sketchy - we're not hearing of local atrocities so maybe they've lucked out with the Russian soldiers there, or maybe our elderly parents just don't know.
But it terrifies me that if the Ukrainian military try to retake this area (which we hope they do...) that each village could end up like Bucha. Horrific to think of it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's appalling - is your refugee able to contact her friends there on a daily basis? and does she have family still there?
My wife has real problems talking to her parents, maybe once a fortnight through a neighbour's phone, and feedback from them is sketchy. It seems that the Russian military are not aggressive in their village (thankfully) - they ransacked shops and pharmacy in the early days but now have regular supplies from the south.
We believe they have been forced to take Russian passports, and local teachers are physically threatened if they

It's appalling - as you say the barbaric psyche is still there in big way, encouraged by their leadership.
It must be very difficult for your refugee, still adjustment being here,and is she in daily contact with friends and family still? traumatising all round.
My wife only gets to talk to her mum fortnightly and feedback is sketchy - we're not hearing of local atrocities so maybe they've lucked out with the Russian soldiers there, or maybe our elderly parents just don't know.
But it terrifies me that if the Ukrainian military try to retake this area (which we hope they do...) that each village could end up like Bucha. Horrific to think of it.
I’ll ask next time we chat.

The pockets of some dead Russian soldiers have been found crammed with looted jewellery. It was a similar story in Chechna, their officers condone, encourage and participate in unspeakable deeds.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Well no one would say it like that. They are Ukrainians, born to Ukrainians (since their parents are also Ukrainians). Instead, you could just say they are Ukrainians with Russian ancestors. Not that clumsy.

it is, thats why we say "nth generation $nationality". like an Italian descendant in US might call themselves 3rd generation Italian. they are also American.
No, that would be incorrect. A 3rd generation Italian would be someone born in Italy, to Italian parents, but with grandparents who were immigrants.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well no one would say it like that. They are Ukrainians, born to Ukrainians (since their parents are also Ukrainians). Instead, you could just say they are Ukrainians with Russian ancestors. Not that clumsy.

No, that would be incorrect. A 3rd generation Italian would be someone born in Italy, to Italian parents, but with grandparents who were immigrants.
A very reasonable and confortable definition, which sadly diesn't apply to some people - third generation born and raised in England - when their great grandparents' country is playing England at Lords or the Oval. A cataclysmic failure of multi-culturalism as an alernative to integration and inclusivity.

:(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here