Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Or will there just be 50 unfortunate balcony accidents over the next few days...?

Possibly. But if it reaches a certain tipping point, there may only be one more balcony fall....

Putin himself.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Or will there just be 50 unfortunate balcony accidents over the next few days...?

Lemmings4.gif

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

as i saw one of them tweet, Putin isnt a monarch he is a public servant paid by the public and the deputies are representing the people's objections.

it seems change is starting, they could contemplate poverty under sanctions but the embaressment of defeated Red Army is too much?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If Putin's army is totally destroyed before he manages to retreat back to Russia
There's not a realistic possibility of that happening is there? Russia has made a mess of this invasion, but they still have a larger army than Ukraine.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What are the learned folk of NSC thought's on the Crimea?

If Ukraine et al can push back all Russian forces into Russia will they seek to regain Crimea too?

If Ukraine holds both Kherson and Melitopol, then takes out the Kerch bridge, there’s very little the Russians can do about it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ukraine couldn’t be doing this without incredibly accurate and devastating missile systems supplied from the UK, Germany and US. Taking out arms dumps etc up to 190 miles away. Russian tank and other armoured vehicle losses are huge, a big dent in their entire serviceable numbers.

If the fascist loon stays in charge of Russia, it would be no surprise to see dirty weapons used at some stage and further atrocities.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
What are the learned folk of NSC thought's on the Crimea?

If Ukraine et al can push back all Russian forces into Russia will they seek to regain Crimea too?

It would be very tough. Russia are very well established in Crimea both militarily and politically. It would need a total collapse of the command and control of the Russian army. The Kremlin will want to keep it at all costs. And I mean all costs.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Ukraine couldn’t be doing this without incredibly accurate and devastating missile systems supplied from the UK, Germany and US. Taking out arms dumps etc up to 190 miles away. Russian tank and other armoured vehicle losses are huge, a big dent in their entire serviceable numbers.

If the fascist loon stays in charge of Russia, it would be no surprise to see dirty weapons used at some stage and further atrocities.

I still don't think they have the HIMARs missile that can go that far. What I'm sure they do have is up to date spy satellite images from the US, coordinated with partisans on the ground to hit the more distant targets.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
It would be very tough. Russia are very well established in Crimea both militarily and politically. It would need a total collapse of the command and control of the Russian army. The Kremlin will want to keep it at all costs. And I mean all costs.

There are claims that the top level Russian military brass and government officials are relocating east across the bridge. Also, a travel ban on men of military service age without permission.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Seeing a mum welcoming back her "fighting" son brings it home. A brave man and nation.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Nuclear weapons?

Military experts on the radio this morning pointed out that prevailing winds would carry fallout east to Russia.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It was interesting last night on to the interview with one of the leaders of the Russian army who is a Chechen war lord that putin gave huge power to.

Americans believe that these are the troops that are now going back home as they see this as a war Russia will lose.

There is two ways this will go…putin will be overthrown or removed for humiliating the motherland, or him and the hawks press the red button and try to wipe Ukrainian cities off the map!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
There's not a realistic possibility of that happening is there? Russia has made a mess of this invasion, but they still have a larger army than Ukraine.

Don’t forget Russia isn’t officially at war, so there’s been no general mobilization of its armed forces. Right now troops can refuse to fight and they can’t be prosecuted. I believe many already have.

Unless Russia goes on a full on war footing, I think they’re toast in Ukraine. Even then, I’m not sure the Russian people would accept full mobilization. Interesting times coming for Putin I think.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Don’t forget Russia isn’t officially at war, so there’s been no general mobilization of its armed forces. Right now troops can refuse to fight and they can’t be prosecuted. I believe many already have.

Unless Russia goes on a full on war footing, I think they’re toast in Ukraine. Even then, I’m not sure the Russian people would accept full mobilization. Interesting times coming for Putin I think.

An ex-prime minister under Putin (Kasyanov?) was on LBC yesterday saying about Putin next (last ditch..) move could be full mobilisation..

Am i right in saying Russia's regular full time army is relatively small (200k) but full call up/conscription is considered mobilisation, and then in the millions ?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
An ex-prime minister under Putin (Kasyanov?) was on LBC yesterday saying about Putin next (last ditch..) move could be full mobilisation..

Am i right in saying Russia's regular full time army is relatively small (200k) but full call up/conscription is considered mobilisation, and then in the millions ?

Well then sadly, millions of untrained, completely wet behind the ears Russian conscripts will be slaughtered by
HIMARS, US beasts called howitzers and a battle-hardened motivated army.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Well then sadly, millions of untrained, completely wet behind the ears Russian conscripts will be slaughtered by
HIMARS, US beasts called howitzers and a battle-hardened motivated army.
Indeed. Sending a couple of million unmotivated, basically trained amateurs armed with WW2 rifles and 60 year old museum piece tanks is just going to end very badly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here