Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Talk of face to face talks between Zelensky and Putin, what could possibly go wrong? :ohmy:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
This is fantastic coverage.

Don't miss it..

https://ig.ft.com/russias-war-in-ukraine-mapped/

ukr.png

Last edited:

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

The expectation that Ukrainian resistance would be minimal can be seen in Russia’s early moves. Scott Boston, senior defence analyst at Rand Corporation, said an invading army would only rush into a city if it believed surrender was imminent and the priority was confiscating weapons from potential insurgents. “It turns out that getting there really fast is a good way to get shot in the face,” he said.

I have nothing but unending and enduring respect for the courage and ferocity of the Ukrainian resistance.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

Excellent read. I was interested in the fact that it appears they have not made many air sorties because they are unable to prevent the Ukraine air defence systems from being effective. This made me wonder why Zelensky keeps urging NATO to provide a no fly zone which would be at odds with this. Could it be that Ukraine and NATO have decided that they actually do want Russia to take to the air more so they can shoot them down so it's a sort of double bluff?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Professor Michael Clarke, former director of Royal United Services Institute, on Radio 4 Today's Programme, this morning from 1hr 14 minutes in.

Interesting what he says about some of the weapons Ukraine has at its disposal and how some would take weeks of NATO training to use, which he thinks must have already taken place.

So how long has there been NATO involvement in Ukraine I wonder?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Professor Michael Clarke, former director of Royal United Services Institute, on Radio 4 Today's Programme, this morning from 1hr 14 minutes in.

Interesting what he says about some of the weapons Ukraine has at its disposal and how some would take weeks of NATO training to use, which he thinks must have already taken place.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

So how long has there been NATO involvement in Ukraine I wonder?

So good you posted twice!

which weapons? those kamikaze drones?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Excellent read. I was interested in the fact that it appears they have not made many air sorties because they are unable to prevent the Ukraine air defence systems from being effective. This made me wonder why Zelensky keeps urging NATO to provide a no fly zone which would be at odds with this. Could it be that Ukraine and NATO have decided that they actually do want Russia to take to the air more so they can shoot them down so it's a sort of double bluff?[/QUOTE]

It's strange that you mentioned that. It had also occurred to me as well, but from a different angle.

I have been struck by the number of times that Zelensky has called for a no fly zone. I'm left wondering if he and NATO have an agreement that he does this periodically, (perhaps it is code for 'send us more weapons') so that NATO can repeat its public policy to not participate militarily, while quietly doing the opposite? A proportion of the weaponry of NATO members will already be at or near the Ukraine border.

When Joe Biden or Ben Wallace announce an additional supply of weapons, perhaps they are already in place. I believe it's called logistics.

That's my conspiracy theory for today. Normal service will be resumed shortly.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So good you posted twice!

which weapons? those kamikaze drones?

It wasn't my intention to post twice. It was a mistaken duplicate.

Listen to the interview. You'll find out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here