Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
Another thought provoking twitter thread from this author :

[Tweet]1504103672019513345[/Tweet]

Fascinating read, thank you. What would escalation have been, in this case, to break the cycle? If sanctions are deemed not escalating enough, and a no-fly zone thought to be too much? Would stronger sanctions have helped after Crimea?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I can imagine Hitler making a similarly deranged speech from his bunker in 1945. Putin is finished.

I agree. I also think Putin is finished.
It's his decision making. I can't remember him getting one single decision right.

His decision to invade Ukraine was wrong for many reasons, but it had been planned for years, so a whole series of decisions, leading up to the event, were also likely to have been wrong.
Now he is under the most intense pressure, he is seeking to pass the blame onto others. The collective west, a fifth column, you name it. Anyone but himself.

The Russian bear has been declawed, the Russian economy has been shredded, Russia is the pariah of the world, and NATO is stronger and more united than ever.
No wonder he's trying to pass the buck.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1504086281520877571[/tweet]

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I can imagine Hitler making a similarly deranged speech from his bunker in 1945. Putin is finished.

Quite. Let’s just assess what he’s managed to conclude here…

“The entire civilised world isn’t with me. My most significant ally in China isn’t with me. My most influential countrymen aren’t with me, and don’t even want to live in their country of birth. Christ, an unprecedented number of my own, brainwashed people aren’t with me.

“Yep, that’s cleared it up, the problem is definitely everyone else.”

Mind-boggling levels of delusion.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

If you've ever read Hugh Trevor-Roper's excellent "The Last Days of Hitler" (another reading recommendation to anyone who hasn't) it's almost verbatim to several of the things he did say. If Putin is also moving around fantasy battle units to come and win his war for him which don't even exist he's basically one step short of it.

The important thing now is if (or perhaps when) someone moves against Putin, they do it swiftly and efficiently. A failed attempt to take him out could be catastrophic, especially if he decides it's engineered by the west and as such an attack on him. If someone moves on him, they need to make sure it succeeds and he's either dead or locked up almost before he knows what's happening.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Another thought provoking twitter thread from this author :

[Tweet]1504103672019513345[/Tweet]

Some poor bloke almost got blown to smithereens on that thread. The Ukraine defence site showed much the same, some pensioner basically blow apart point blank by a tank. It was taken down by Instagram as being to graphic but has been passed to the Hague for any future proceedings. Its not a war though according to the madman and his close circle of henchmen

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I don't think he has lost the plot, he is acknowledging the splitting of opinion in Russia, and suggesting that being anti war is anti Russian and a fifth column against Putin is a fifth column against Russia. Anyone with money and not willing to stay and suffer is a traitor, anyone protesting about the war is a traitor. It's a reaction to journalists quitting their jobs in state media, street protesters, people leaving the country, and oligarchs expressing negative opinions about the war in Ukraine.
It makes sense, all bollocks, but it will work on a large portion of Russians

Putin again calls his political opponents "national traitors".

It is worth recalling that this term - Nationalverräter - was first used by Adolf Hitler in Mein Kampf.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
The thing that annoys me most about that **** though is that he's meant to be a Judo 6th dan or something like that

As a once martial arts instructor myself, you learn total respect for all people, to avoid confrontation if possible and use
it as a defence as in "self-defence". It just shows you that this fake, macho image is in his own deranged and deluded
mind. He's no more of a judo person than I am the queen of Sheba. He's a flab-bucket.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The thing that annoys me most about that **** though is that he's meant to be a Judo 6th dan or something like that
He was good at Judo when younger, but his more recent awards have been honorary.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
107 children killed in Ukraine - local authorities estimate
At least 107 children have been killed and more than 120 have been wounded since Russia invaded Ukraine, the Ukrainian Prosecutor General's Office says. Most of the fatalities were reported in Kyiv, Kharkiv, Donetsk, Chernihiv, Sumy, Kherson, Mykolayiv and Zhytomyr regions.
Over 410 educational institutions have been damaged by shelling, and 63 of them fully destroyed, it says.
At least 11 hospitals have been shelled, it adds.

The poor parents, family & survivors will forever hold Russia responsible, that will never forgive or forget, you have just mobilised at least a hundred years of rebellion and hatred, well done Putin, you cocksucker.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Something is afoot.

Coup or tactical nuke launch planned or psy-ops bluff ?

[Tweet]1504382617193525251[/Tweet]

My guess : Putin is bunkering down as he fears a coup / revolution.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Something is afoot.

Coup or tactical nuke launch planned or psy-ops bluff ?

[Tweet]1504382617193525251[/Tweet]

I hope your right, I don't need to start thinking about the other option....

Too late, I am, oh shite in a biscuit tin.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I hope your right, I don't need to start thinking about the other option....

Too late, I am, oh shite in a biscuit tin.
I actually spent 10 minutes deciding whether to post it or not.

But reality is reality.

The fact we can see the planes leaving is a very positive sign - it would be worse if they'd flown in secret.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

shirley ego too big to run away, especially as nothing is actually happening. we're so far away from unrest in Russia.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What’s the significance of this tweet?
Putin's plane and other Government planes have taken off from Moscow, heading for the hills.

Is Putin on board ? No one knows.

What is the plan here ? No one knows.

They have left their transponders on. This is meant to be seen.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Putin's plane and other Government planes have taken off from Moscow, heading for the hills.

Is Putin on board ? No one knows.

What is the plan here ? No one knows.

They have left their transponders on. This is meant to be seen.

Ah it’s his plane! Cheers.
Sometimes I wonder if knowing absolutely nothing about these things is a blessing or a disguise.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Putin again calls his political opponents "national traitors".

It is worth recalling that this term - Nationalverräter - was first used by Adolf Hitler in Mein Kampf.

The trope of calling your political opponents "traitors" is a very popular trope by despots (and wannabe despots) the world over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here