Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Russell Slade - Confused??

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Bloom wasn't chairman when Slade was appointed; Slade came in on March 6 2009 and Dick Knight didn't step down until May 18. Gus Poyet was Bloom's first appointment.

Ah, yeah. My bad. I was under the impression that Bloom had a strong influence in his appointment, though, even if he wasn't officially chairman at the time. Might well be wrong, however.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I don't understand. Why are Cardiff trying to get Slade? Seems a strange choice.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Fans should never forget the amazing turnaround he managed at the end of 2008/09. He only came into the job in March, when Adams had all but relegated us. With six games to go it still looked almost impossible but he conjured up 16 points from those matches.
He was a little bit unlucky at the start of the next season. A sluggish start ( not much different to Orient now ) was followed by an away game at Huddersfield. If I remember rightly Kuipers was sent off pretty early and replaced by the worst goalie I have ever seen in a BHA shirt ( Graeme Smith ) We promptly lost 7-1. We then went into the next game with our defence ripped to shreds in confidence and to compound matters Smith started in goal. I think it was Stockport at home ( but I stand corrected ) and we lost a central defender, either injured or sent off very early. The replacement was Colin Someone ( can't even remember his surname...was it Hawkins? ), quite the worst centre back I have ever seen in a BHA shirt. With his first touch he gave away a penalty and got red-carded. Think we finished with nine men ( although stand corrected on this as well ) and lost 4-2.
The wheels had definitely come off, conceding 11 goals in two games but it wasn't entirely Slade's fault. He was only working with the tools given and I believe he would have eventually turned it around and we would have stayed up that season.
Interesting to surmise that had we got relegated in 08/09, we may have been more patient with Slade and there may well have been no Poyet ( would he have been attracted to a Div 2 club?....long way back from there...and we all know how ambitious he is )

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Graham Smith actually saved a penalty in that Huddersfield game I think :lolol:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
"The president has been honest enough to tell me we have one game to sort it out," Slade told BBC London 94.9.
"Hopefully we get a response on Tuesday. The situation is we need to get a win or that will be curtains."

This is what Slade said last week.

I didn't even realise Obama followed "soccer" and certainly didn't think he cared enough to get involved with a club like Orient. Had him down as more West Ham personally.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bloody hell...did he?
Did Kuipers get sent off when conceding a pen and Smith then came on and saved it ? ( All a bit of a blur to me, Im afraid )

I think so, yes. Or they scored that one and he saved another one perhaps.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Fans should never forget the amazing turnaround he managed at the end of 2008/09

My part in keeping us up has been completely airbrushed from the history books. Slade had taken over and we were still losing. His first game at Orient, that MK Dons game where Andrew Whing became a cult hero...we were awful. I forget who we were playing at home one Saturday (some northern team) but a Reading supporting mate asked me if I fancied going to watch Reading at QPR as he had a spare ticket. I didn't have my kids that weekend so I thought it might be interesting to do an away day as a neutral for once. Reading were on a roll, Brighton couldn't buy a win - I might even see an entertaining game for a change.

The match I watched was a dull, dull 0-0 whereas the Albion played majestically and won 1-0. Obviously, the weak link in our season was me. I boycotted all home games from thereon in. Brighton stayed up and Slade took all the credit. Not even a thankyou note from him or the club.

Luckily, I'm not the sort of person to get bitter about this but a picture of me on the Albion Legends Wall (perhaps kicking sh*t out of the chair in front of me at Withdean as I was often wont to do) would have been a nice touch. Or making me mascot for the first game at the Amex. Or Vice-President for life. Something simple, I'm not greedy.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
(perhaps kicking sh*t out of the chair in front of me at Withdean as I was often wont to do)

You didn't perchance sit in Block D about row H did you? Had a chap that used to sit a row in front of me that often used to do that :lolol:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You didn't perchance sit in Block D about row H did you? Had a chap that used to sit a row in front of me that often used to do that :lolol:

No, I was block U, row S. There was something about those Withdean chairs that made them very kickable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here