Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Russell Howard

Dancing Sock

Dec 8, 2012
Brighton
Don't know who Russell Howard is. Is he that pikey with the long, greasy black hair?

Even though I've seen it a few times before, Peter Kay on Friday night nearly made me p*ss myself. "And Bully's special prize...... a speed boat - they live in Tamworth" "Lost a pound in weight? I sh*t a pound, luv!" :lolol:

Forgot about Peter Kay, he is up there.

Another one I forgot is Sean Lock, who in general is extremely underrated. A breath of fresh air when it comes to comedy, a bloody genius.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I find him funny, but i dont find the ones the OP has mentioned that funny at all.

Other favourites i have are Frankie Boyle and Jimmy Carr, who im seeing live in Eastbourne tomorrow.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Russell Howard is funny occasionally I guess, which is more than Gervais has managed for a while. Boyle can be funny but seems to determined to be controversial, to the detriment of his own material. For me, Reginald D Hunter, Sean Lock, David Mitchell and Ed Byrne are the way to go :thumbsup:

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Comparing Russell Howard with Ricky Gervais is truly comparing apples with oranges. The former is a flavour of the moment comedian who is lucky to be working in an era that means successful stand up guarantees TV work. The latter has created two sitcoms that redefined the language of comedy. It's not even enough to debate whether Gervais makes you laugh as much, The Office and Extras (to a lesser extent) were as much about depressing, mirror on society drama as they were about belly laughs. Gervais has never been a good stand up, unfortunately he works in an age where there is a lot of money to be made in doing it and a lot of questions if you don't. As a comic writer he is in a completely different league to the Mock the Week crew that write a few punchlines to regurgitate on panel show of the week for eternity.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
a few years ago Russell Howard and Jon Richardson did Radio 6 on Sundays for a couple of hours. It was a lovely background broadcast to make pub roast dinners (unless there was a test match in play).

I no longer make roast dinners in pubs and they are no longer funny.

coincidence?

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I find most 'modern day' comedians unfunny. They're too rehearsed. Saying that, I'll watch some of them and snigger if there's nothing else to watch because I'm a hypocrite. lee Evans can be a laugh, but even he wears thin after a while.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
His show is absolute dog shit, full of really immature jokes which somehow get laughed at by his shithead studio audience.

it might seem blindingly obvious but considering this chap is not to your taste and you dont like his shows have you considered the option of not watching them anymore? the problem rapidly disappears when you follow this course of action.
I have the same issue with Frankie Boyle,i rarely find the guy funny at all,i dont find him offensive as many do just simply not very funny,he strikes me as a Roy Chubby Brown for the twatter generation.I put up with his twaddle when i watched Mock the week but if i see him doing solo on TV i would rather switch and watch The God Channel........the comedy content is similar.

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
Anyone else think he's just not funny at all, so therefore extremely overrated?

His show is absolute dog shit, full of really immature jokes which somehow get laughed at by his shithead studio audience.

It makes me angry how some comedians, like Howard, Mcintyre and any women comedian pretty much:)down:) are considered funny because they have a large following of immature people.

Maybe it's just me though, as I'm fussy with comedians tbh, the only ones I like are Gervais, Dara, Boyle to an extent and Karl Pilkington (though he's not really a comedian obviously, he's still someone who makes me laugh to great extents).

Does anyone else see the light or are you all in darkness?!:angel:

I'm guessing you have an IQ of at least double figures? The look on some people's faces is priceless if you say you can't stand the mass market appeal stuff (e.g. The Inbetweeners or The Big Bang Theory). But comedy is subjective, and unfortunately some people (usually idiots) will watch, listen to and like anything that's put in front of them

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I'm guessing you have an IQ of at least double figures? The look on some people's faces is priceless if you say you can't stand the mass market appeal stuff (e.g. The Inbetweeners or The Big Bang Theory). But comedy is subjective, and unfortunately some people (usually idiots) will watch, listen to and like anything that's put in front of them

Who or what do you consider funny?

It makes me angry how some comedians, like Howard, Mcintyre and any women comedian pretty much:)down:) are considered funny because they have a large following of immature people.

Wow! You single out certain male comedians that you don't think are funny, but all women get a blanket judgement? Why is there a sad face in brackets, are you disappointed by your sexism, or that you don't know many female comics?

Brilliant! :thumbsup:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The great thing about comedy is that it's subjective. Many people on here dislike Gervais!
Exactly. It's like music threads when people discover that everyone has different tastes and a different perspective on what's 'good'. With Gervais I loved Extras, but I've hated everything else he's ever done. The Office is the most overrated rubbish that has ever polluted our TV (although the American version is passable, mainly because the acting is a million times better and Gervais isn't in it).

Mrs Brown's Boys. Now that's comedy!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I find his show a fun, light hearted view.

He doesn't give off a pretentious arrogant **** vibe like say a Gervais does.

And its because of this that I feel sorry for him to the extent that I cant watch him as he is so funny, he seems like a nice bloke.
I was watching an old mock the week recently, he was drowning in funnyness from the other comedians, when they had to stand up and run to the mic to tell a joke, he always took 1 step forward to make it look like he had a joke but then allowed another to get there first, he then looked disappointed and he done this everytime.
He is better than Jim Davidson though.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
His material is really immature, think it's aimed at teenagers though to be fair. Don't find him funny in the slightest. However, I think Gervais is brilliant.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Maybe it's just me though, as I'm fussy with comedians tbh, the only ones I like are Gervais, Dara, Boyle to an extent and Karl Pilkington (though he's not really a comedian obviously, he's still someone who makes me laugh to great extents).

It's all subjective though isn't it? I don't really think one thing or another about Russell Howard, but I really can't stand Gervais, Boyle or Pilkington, to the point that I would immediately turn over if any of them are on the telly doing their acts/shows, really, really unfunny to me.
:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here