Russell Brand.........

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
From what I gather he supports anarcho-syndicalism and a resource based economy.

How can he support anarcho-syndicalism and yet own multiple properties? One of the fundamental cornerstones of the theory is that private property is only allowed where the person who owns it lives there. You see, this is the problem I have with Brand. He picks his politics like Tom Cruise picks his religion, something to massage the ego and affirm that he's a wonderful fellow but that there's no risk of having to change his own way of living one iota. Just other people's. Revolutions don't work like that.

As for resource based economics, it's been widely debunked for years now. It's just not credible. In fact, it's original mission statement “The Venus Project was founded on the idea that poverty is caused by the stifling of progress in technology, which itself is caused by the present world’s profit-driven economic system”. Even a schoolchild can see that it's simply not true that profit motives stifle technology. The EXACT opposite is patently the truth.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How can he support anarcho-syndicalism and yet own multiple properties? One of the fundamental cornerstones of the theory is that private property is only allowed where the person who owns it lives there. You see, this is the problem I have with Brand. He picks his politics like Tom Cruise picks his religion, something to massage the ego and affirm that he's a wonderful fellow but that there's no risk of having to change his own way of living one iota. Just other people's. Revolutions don't work like that.

As for resource based economics, it's been widely debunked for years now. It's just not credible. In fact, it's original mission statement “The Venus Project was founded on the idea that poverty is caused by the stifling of progress in technology, which itself is caused by the present world’s profit-driven economic system”. Even a schoolchild can see that it's simply not true that profit motives stifle technology. The EXACT opposite is patently the truth.

Does he own property? I know his primary residence is rented.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
His secondary residence is Laurence Olivier's old gaff in Hollywood which he bought last year (or maybe the year before).

So he does. I have just Googled it; I have to say that given the size and location 1.4m for that pile is a bargain. Your dollar goes much further than say your Brighton pound.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm still yet to have a satisfactory answer why it actually matters if he's a hypocrite or not? Why are people playing the man and not the ball? Surely it would be far easier for him to sit in his ivory tower shagging supermodels and counting his money than giving a **** about ordinary people?

This was pretty good, as a direct result of the profile that he gave it..... http://www.theguardian.com/society/...sell-new-era-estate-london-protests-westbrook

Another viewpoint I don't understand is that he shouldn't speak out if he doesn't have the answers. Why? And if we genuinely believe that, could we trial a week of this forum with that as the guiding principle?

Thirdly, I see a lot of "ex-junkie" references, like it's a bad thing. Surely coming off heroin and making a success of your life is one of the most difficult things you can do? Good formative experience I reckon, you should certainly listen to what he has to say about drug policy and drug treatment - very, very sensible.

I'm not a big fan of his but I'm intrugued by the emotion he stirs up. I find it quite funny.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm still yet to have a satisfactory answer why it actually matters if he's a hypocrite or not? Why are people playing the man and not the ball? Surely it would be far easier for him to sit in his ivory tower shagging supermodels and counting his money than giving a **** about ordinary people?

This was pretty good, as a direct result of the profile that he gave it..... http://www.theguardian.com/society/...sell-new-era-estate-london-protests-westbrook

Another viewpoint I don't understand is that he shouldn't speak out if he doesn't have the answers. Why? And if we genuinely believe that, could we trial a week of this forum with that as the guiding principle?

Thirdly, I see a lot of "ex-junkie" references, like it's a bad thing. Surely coming off heroin and making a success of your life is one of the most difficult things you can do? Good formative experience I reckon, you should certainly listen to what he has to say about drug policy and drug treatment - very, very sensible.

I'm not a big fan of his but I'm intrugued by the emotion he stirs up. I find it quite funny.

I have to agree with all of this. I can take him or leave him but I respect him for having brought a lot of issues to the mainstream and also got people thinking especially younger people.

I wonder why no one is laying into JK Rowling for using her position, high-placed friends and goverment contacts to try and abolish institutions (LUMOS). She's a much a hypocrite if Brand is.

There isn't an answer to this, the strategy is just to attempt to tap a well of sour pettiness within us, which of course we all have to some degree, depending how much we've been disappointed in life. Time-wasting stuff of course, meanwhile Brand will carry on fighting the good fight and anyone with any optimism and faith in people will judge him on what he actually does in helping grassroots campaigns

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

It depends on what you mean about whether it matters. Of course it doesn't matter, as such, but ordinary punters might well find it very annoying to be lectured on their lifestyles, income etc when said gentleman has done very well himself. A parallel might be a politician who has for years advocated the supposed advantages of comprehensive schools for everyone else's children, yet when it comes to their little darling, well, we would not want them to be with rough children, and so a private school would be much better.

I am not sure that many people would say that he should not speak out -why should he not? ( I know you were not saying that, by the way.) He is entitled to a view like anyone else. It is just that in some ways, he is his own worst enemy - first of all is the charge that he is hypocritical, due to his own fortune, and also the manner of his protests. It may sound petty, but if I was going about my work and was stopped at the door by someone eyeballing me in an aggressive manner, then I would not be too impressed, and far less likely to have sympathy with that protestor's view of things.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

My posts #122, #168, #213 give my reasons why I think he's not walking the walk. Does it matter? Not unless you're calling for a revolution - but that's what he IS doing. The books, the QT appearances, those never-ending Youtube rants. He's put himself as de facto leader of this revolution so he needs to lead by example. It's what leaders should do.

I can't say I'm particularly 'emotional' about it though, I don't think I've been particularly histrionic in my comments, fair play to the bloke for having his cake and eating it. And I've no problems with him being an ex-junkie either. I agree with him entirely on the madness of the current drugs policy.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Wow, not like you to hijack a thread, spend loads of time cutting and pasting, and blaming everything on Brown and the EU [MENTION=12825]cunning fergus[/MENTION]. Still, first time for everything.....

I would expect a more coherent response from you as oppose to a weak personal attack...............

I will blame Brown and the EU for what they are responsible for; and Brown (Miliband and Balls) were all involved to a greater or lesser degree in failing to regulate the Banks. To level all the criticism at the Banks allows them off the hook.

As for the EU, I like Brand's rhetoric about tax avoidance, and he has a point. However to level that at the corporations is to let those who helped create these arrangments for corporates in the first place off the hook too.

You know what comes next dont you.................

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0a4a2cf8-6f22-11e4-8d86-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3MLZeexKC

Once Brand turns his guns onto the establishment, then I will appluad him. Till then he is missing a key part of the problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here