Rusian Visa

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I've been looking on the internet at the procedure for obtaining a Russian Visa. It appears that i will have to go to either Edinburgh or London to get one of these. Do any of the NSC fraternity know if this is the only way or can you get one by post at all?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Go to the embassy with a couple of cartons of Marlboro and you will have no problem.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
You can do it online. You need a voucher and invite from the hotel you are staying at and can then fill in and print the Visa application form and send it all off with your passport and two photos.

I'm doing the same for a visit in May.

I'll try and find the link and post it tomorrow.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
You'll probably have to go to the embassy. Depending what you want it for (business, tourism, transit, residence) you may need a sponsor. If it's a holiday, the hotel will normally sponsor you so it's just a formality, for business, the company your doing business with would sponsor you. For transit, it's much smpler.

You used to have to say where you are going as well and get any cities you're staying in listed on the visa, but I think they've dropped that now (or at least one of my Russian students told me they had).

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
You can do it online. You need a voucher and invite from the hotel you are staying at and can then fill in and print the Visa application form and send it all off with your passport and two photos.

I'm doing the same for a visit in May.

I'll try and find the link and post it tomorrow.

LOL, should have read further before replying! Looks like they've made that bit simpler as well.

(To the OP, I would remember that there's two s's in Russia and Russian thoigh).

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
I've been looking on the internet at the procedure for obtaining a Russian Visa. It appears that i will have to go to either Edinburgh or London to get one of these. Do any of the NSC fraternity know if this is the only way or can you get one by post at all?

Try before you buy? Bloke at work ended up with a right munter.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I did it last year. I completed the form online, printed it out and took it to the Visa Application Centre in London, near Barbican and not the Embassy. My experience, and looking at others at the Centre I was not alone, was that they check every piece of detail and supporting evidence very carefully and will send you to a PC at the Centre to do it all again if anything is missing or unclear. I collected mine a few days later but I think posting it to you could be an option. It's a bit of a pain but Russia is a fascinating country and worth the hassle. More info here Russia Visa Information - UK - Home Page

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
Did this earlier in the year. As Cheshunt Seagull says, you need to do the form online first and then take it to VFS (NOT the embassy) in person. Then, you get grilled to make sure every answer is satisfactory. I also had to go back and get my passport in person the next day for some reason, despite it saying on the website that it could be couriered.

When you do the form online, it will give you a reference number so that you can access and edit it again at VFS - make sure you write it down. I didn't and had to spend an hour filling it all in again...

Last edited:

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Try RealRussia.com. Little bit more expense but takes the aggro out of it and generally easy to get a Tourist Visa.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
We went through an agency/third party. I think it was this Real Russia lot- all online and post and no need to go to an embassy. The extra cost wasn't huge either.

Take a warm coat.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants

Having been there I can assure you that the best and easiest way is through a proper certified agent, ask your travel agent to advise you. Obtainning a Russian Visa is comparable to selling and buying a house with problems, good luck.

Oh by the way, once you get there you will know it was worth it, St Petersburg and Moscow fabulous. Do'nt miss out on the Metro in Moscow.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
IN St Petersburg I recommend a drink in the rooftop bar at the Kempinski Hotel. Will set you back but the view from the terrace appears on life's tick sheets.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
From what I recall from about 10 years ago it was a nightmare...... I had to go to an Russian Embassy "approved" travel agent and pay them money to produce a letter allowing me to apply for a visa. They had to pay for the privilage of stting foot in Russia.... Be aware if going to Moscow it is very very expensive - especially hotel phone lines (days of analogue)....downloaded emails and fell of my chaire when i saw how much I had been charged....

Just looked through some old files but cannot locate any details of who gave me the letter that allowed me to apply.....

Very odd process.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports