Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Running shoes

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
In readiness for the inevitable get fit campaign after Christmas can anyone recommend a half decent pair of running shoes/trainers.

Nothing too expensive, I dont intend a marathon.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A long time ago I worked for JJB and was always told that Asics trainers were probably the best for running.
I ran my first marathon in 1999 in Asics and just didn't get on with them.

Since then, I've done all my running in cheap £35 Nike trainers! To be honest, there is no sensible answers to this question beyond understanding that different people prefer different trainers. Stick with what you're comfortable. If you want to spend £80 on a proper pair, have your gait measured on one of those machines so that you have the right fit of trainer, do so. But really, it depends how serious you want to be.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Head down to Run on Blatchington Road in Hove, they film your running style and pick out some trainers accordingly. I've had a couple of pairs of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 10 and they are fantastic, I didn't have a single blister during my marathon training (except for one due to bad toenail management). They are fairly pricey though at around £85.

It's very much a personal thing as Sim says, some people get on fine with a cheap pair and others need to spend a bit of money. You do of course get what you pay for on terms of mileage.

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
Since the shoes are the only outlay it is worth investing in a fairly decent pair. Say around £60.00-80.00 as a guide. The thing is everybody has different shaped feet (shocker I know) so you do want to try half a dozen different manufacturers shoes to get a good idea which shape suits you best. The Jog Shop in George street Kemp Town has a good selection and will give you the time to try as many as you like. If you do get a pair that fits well you will get less injuries and be comfortable.

Alternatively you could get a pair of Green Flash and run around in your underpants!

Good luck.

Last edited:

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
Head down to Run on Blatchington Road in Hove, they film your running style and pick out some trainers accordingly. I've had a couple of pairs of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 10 and they are fantastic, I didn't have a single blister during my marathon training (except for one due to bad toenail management). They are fairly pricey though at around £85.

It's very much a personal thing as Sim says, some people get on fine with a cheap pair and others need to spend a bit of money. You do of course get what you pay for on terms of mileage.

This is good advice too. I have Brooks GTS8. Brooks make a very good shoe imo.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You get what you pay for and as such it's worth stumping up the £80 odd for a decent pair which match your gait and pronation.

I started running a few years ago with cheap trainers and almost destroyed my knees and shins. It then took 2 months of rest combined with special strengthening exercises and decent running shoes before I could return.

Bear in mind that it will be the only piece of kit you really need, if you took up Golf or Sea Angling it costs a lot more to be equipped to a reasonable standard.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Different trainers deliberately support your feet in different ways. If you strike the ground more heavily with the outside of your foot you will need a different pair to someone who strikes the ground heavier with the inner....and so on. Take a well worn pair of shoes to a half decent running shop and they should do the rest. And you don't need to spend big bucks to get the right shoes either; you can find what you need at the lower end of the running shoe market. For the record I use Asics.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh, and if you see a fat bloke who claims he is a marathon runner grinding round Hove in the new year that will be the recently patched up and serviced Herr Tubthumper. I'm really looking forward to it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You get what you pay for and as such it's worth stumping up the £80 odd for a decent pair which match your gait and pronation.

I started running a few years ago with cheap trainers and almost destroyed my knees and shins. It then took 2 months of rest combined with special strengthening exercises and decent running shoes before I could return.

Bear in mind that it will be the only piece of kit you really need, if you took up Golf or Sea Angling it costs a lot more to be equipped to a reasonable standard.

You dont get to look like a complete nob either :lol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You dont get to look like a complete nob either :lol:

Robin Williams once said " Golf is the only pursuit where a white man can dress like a black pimp without ridicule"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I agree with this to a degree but I think the issue is more down to finding the right running shoe to match your gait and pronation. I believe that £40 should be enough to make sure you a decent running shoe. They have to be proper running shoes though; £40 spent on a pair of well-fly pumps wll mean you get respect at the hip-hop jam but you will be in trouble when pounding the roads.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Robin Williams once said " Golf is the only pursuit where a white man can dress like a black pimp without ridicule"

He has got a point. Who was it who said golf ruins a perfectly good walk?

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
If you are going to be serious about your running i would advise you not to go into a highstreet sports shop to buy them.As someone has already mentioned go into "Run" or the "Jog shop" in Brighton, they will film you running and will be able to tell if you pronate or overpronate.The guy in "Run" will even let you run around the block before you buy.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I've run in quite a few different shoes, asic's gel and nike pegasus (old ones) but currently gone back to a new pair of my old fav's adidas marathon 10's. But as everyone else has said above its really worth while to go to Run in Hove. It may seem embarrassing to run up and down the pavement a few times but you could save yourself an injury or discomfort and the expense of a pair of shoes that just don't suit.

Hockley Blues

Feb 3, 2005
Southend

This. Great shop and very knowledgeable staff.

Stoaty Ferret

Jul 11, 2003
Brighton

This.

Kurt and Fred in RUN shop are very knowledgable friendly guys who give great advice. For me Brooks are fantastic running shoes.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Yep - another recommendation here for RUN and in particular Brooks

After a couple of pairs of so-so Sauconys Kurt suggested I tried a pair of Brooks and I really like them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here