Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rugby World Cup Bets

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Can someone clarify these +/- bets?

Eg, If I do Japan +15 at 10/1 (made up odds!), does that mean Japan have to win by 15 or more points, for bet to win?

Or is this 15 taken OFF the points actually scored..?

The bets are usually set around evens, with the points set to make the 'result' level after the handicap adjustment.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I know nothing about rugby betting but Japan +43 was an inspired bit of advice. On that basis, I am backing Japan to win at 6/1 as Scotland must be bad as they are only good at curling. My worry is that 4 days to recover from a rugby international is not long enough, especially as the jocks have not played yet. 6/1 just seems to big to ignore but it is a guess.
We all know Japan could beat Scotland. They are a good side and, crucially, Eddie Jones is a world class coach. Here are their results over the past 3 months, which kind of shows that they are hitting form at just the right time:

34-32 v South Africa
13-10 v Georgia
40-0 v Uruguay
30-8 v Uruguay
20-45 v a SANZAR based, strong World XV
20-31 v Tonga
22-27 v Fiji
18-23 v USA
20-6 v Canada

But the same goes for Scotland who in the past 3 months have beaten Italy twice (including one thrashing) and lost only narrowly in Dublin (6 points) and Paris (3 points).

I think Scotland will win if they play the game to their strengths: no sloppy indiscipline, use the forwards, win their own lineouts. If they concede too much space to the Japanese backs, they will create a problem for themselves. When the Scots kick, I expect them to find touch first and foremost. South Africa lost because they often booted the ball down the throats of the fullback, and gave away needless penalties in kicking range.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Wales not to qualify at 5/2. Might seem far fetched but I expect England to narrowly win tomorrow & then Australia to beat Wales.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wales not to qualify at 5/2. Might seem far fetched but I expect England to narrowly win tomorrow & then Australia to beat Wales.
Not sure about this. Australia to win tomorrow are an attractive 6/5, especially as they won the rugby championship.

I'm tempted to lump on to soften the blow if we do lose.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I have no interest in Rugger, but will be watching tomorrow night in some pub somewhere with my mate who is up for the Albion in the afternoon and loves all that rugby too

So, rather like when I have to watch premiership football, I thought the only way to do it was to have a financial interest in. Now really looking forward to it. Got the match coupon from Corals and have nothing to go by other than their odds and have never bet on something I know nothing about before. To be honest it can't be any worse that when I do know something (excluding this afternoon's profit on Albion Calde at Hove Track)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A forecast for Group B of South Africa first, Japan second at 33/1, worth a couple of quid?

Did anyone else get involved here? [MENTION=15377]Nathan[/MENTION]? I'm on it, to the tune of a cheeky £2, representing a lovely little £66 profit if it happens. I don't think it'll happen though. If Scotland win, they're through. Even if they draw, Japan would still need a bonus point win over the USA which is no gimme.

I think I might go large(ish) on a Scotland win over Samoa (1/4). It's not quite locking in a profit but does nevertheless make it highly likely.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Did anyone else get involved here? [MENTION=15377]Nathan[/MENTION]? I'm on it, to the tune of a cheeky £2, representing a lovely little £66 profit if it happens. I don't think it'll happen though. If Scotland win, they're through. Even if they draw, Japan would still need a bonus point win over the USA which is no gimme.

I think I might go large(ish) on a Scotland win over Samoa (1/4). It's not quite locking in a profit but does nevertheless make it highly likely.

Following your feedback on Japan I did go for this bet, stuck a fiver on it. Thought 33/1 was good value and should keep me entertained for a bit, certainly didn't think Japan would beat SA. Japan are now 4/1 to qualify for the next round, and as you say they need Scotland to lose to have any chance of going through. Scotland look too strong to lose but you never know...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
[MENTION=15377]Nathan[/MENTION], if you were convinced there was no way Japan will make it, you could Dutch this. Assuming SA win against USA midweek (bonus point not necessary), they will finish top and the other two are playing for second place.

With Scotland at 1/6 (1.16) to qualify for the quarter finals, if you place a bet of £147 on Scotland to qualify, you are guaranteed a profit of £18.50, regardless of who finishes second.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I just want it to reach the Quarter Final stages- the business end. It's when the Rugby becomes serious.

I'm not worried that England are out now. As long as the Rugby is good, who cares. I love the sport.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009

I did for a fiver @34's, based on your research. Wish I layed it after the South Africa win. Right now I've got money in the in-play betting on a Scotland win waiting for the right odds as they are still favourite, but Somoa are playing so well I am letting it drift in before placing. It's a great match.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm looking for value in what remains of the tournament, and still think Argentina hold the key. They are 12/5 to beat Australia and 16/1 to win the WC outright. To be clear, I don't think it will happen, but it might, and certainly the chance is a good deal better than 16/1.

This tournament is NZs to lose but Argentina have looked absolute quality ALL tournament. They are the only team to have given NZ a game, deservedly leading at half time until they were completely overrun in the second half. I'm just not sure the bookies have actually been watching their rugby, so long are their odds.

I think the Scotland game shows how reliant Australia have become on David Pocock. Without him, they were no better than Scotland. Pocock is out for the rest of the tournament and Argentina are far better than Scotland, so I think Argentina can beat the Wallabies.

Secondly, I don't think Argentina can beat New Zealand (they gave NZ a great game in the first half in the pool game, but NZ ran them ragged in the second half). But South Africa can (the Saffers always raise their game when playing NZ), and Argentina could certainly beat South Africa as they did in Durban only two months ago.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I'm looking for value in what remains of the tournament, and still think Argentina hold the key. They are 12/5 to beat Australia and 16/1 to win the WC outright. To be clear, I don't think it will happen, but it might, and certainly the chance is a good deal better than 16/1.

This tournament is NZs to lose but Argentina have looked absolute quality ALL tournament. They are the only team to have given NZ a game, deservedly leading at half time until they were completely overrun in the second half. I'm just not sure the bookies have actually been watching their rugby, so long are their odds.

I think the Scotland game shows how reliant Australia have become on David Pocock. Without him, they were no better than Scotland. Pocock is out for the rest of the tournament and Argentina are far better than Scotland, so I think Argentina can beat the Wallabies.

Secondly, I don't think Argentina can beat New Zealand (they gave NZ a great game in the first half in the pool game, but NZ ran them ragged in the second half). But South Africa can (the Saffers always raise their game when playing NZ), and Argentina could certainly beat South Africa as they did in Durban only two months ago.

Backed both All Blacks +16 Argies -4 on the spreads & astonished at 33 & 25 point results. Reckon Argies could well beat Oz BUT will then hit genius & will have had 3? More tough games than All Blacks. Did All Blacks outright Sat Night at Evens, think they are value at any price, just unstoppable, for mortgage amounts at current 8/13 is dirt cheap

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Backed both All Blacks +16 Argies -4 on the spreads & astonished at 33 & 25 point results. Reckon Argies could well beat Oz BUT will then hit genius & will have had 3? More tough games than All Blacks. Did All Blacks outright Sat Night at Evens, think they are value at any price, just unstoppable, for mortgage amounts at current 8/13 is dirt cheap

My issue with AB at evens is that they are up against SA next. SA and NZ are massive rivals - arguably the biggest rivalry in rugby. SA have been steadily improving since the tournament began and whilst Wales ran them close, I thought Wales did play particularly well, overwhelmingly had the crowd behind them and still lost. Honestly, I think the only team who can stop NZ is SA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here