Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Royal Mail what next?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I send a few parcels out each week using Evri (Hermes). Yeh, I lose one a they are cheap.
Had a 120 gram envelope to post so went to my Post Office. As it was bulky it didn't fit through their post box tester, and it was going to be £4.44 to send! Evri charged £2.99.
The trouble with Evri, in my experience, is the level of service offered. I only get deliveries and some of their drivers are excellent and manage to get parcels to the front door, but others, unfortunately the majority, just dump the parcels by the gate. Amazon are the same. Our Royal Mail postie, however, is 100% reliable and conscientious. We’ve had two posties in the last 15 years and you couldn’t hope to meet a nicer couple of guys. The first one is an Albion supporter so that helped.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The trouble with Evri, in my experience, is the level of service offered. I only get deliveries and some of their drivers are excellent and manage to get parcels to the front door, but others, unfortunately the majority, just dump the parcels by the gate. Amazon are the same. Our Royal Mail postie, however, is 100% reliable and conscientious. We’ve had two posties in the last 15 years and you couldn’t hope to meet a nicer couple of guys. The first one is an Albion supporter so that helped.
You are correct about general multi drop drivers. They have 100+ parcels to deliver and it's generally leave it at the nearest point to the van and take a picture.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
we live about 50 yds from the sorting office in Boundary Road, Portslade,
Mrs Reagulls had to go and collect our post Saturday morning (in a 2 hour time slot) so I could have my fathers day card on Sunday.
The woman in front of her had missed two hospital appointments because they only deliver the post every couple of weeks now, even if you only live 50 yds away!
So do you and Mrs Reagulls live in Hove Or Portslade, Southwick area?

Edit, Because if you live within 50 yards on the same side as the delivery office your delivery office would be Hove.

Last edited:

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Royal Mail should be binned and Its assets liquidated and handed out to the hundreds of people they had put in jail after falsely accusing them of theft.

It’s an outdated, inefficient, archaic business model that doesn’t work.

In the sea with it.
Thats The Post Office i believe you are referring to. Different company.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Posties are leaving in their droves and Royal Mail are not rehiring. The office hours are being reduced to virtually zero. It’s the “higher ups” making the decisions to bring in profits for shareholders.
This is 100% correct !

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
Royal Mail should be binned and Its assets liquidated and handed out to the hundreds of people they had put in jail after falsely accusing them of theft.

It’s an outdated, inefficient, archaic business model that doesn’t work.

In the sea with it.
That’s the post office you mean. Different entities.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
I’ve never understood their model or how it’s legal
Pay for special delivery and we guarantee delivery
Pay less and take your chance ….
If I did that it would be illegal
Pay me more and it works pay less and maybe works maybe not shrug shoulders and walk away.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Pay me more and it works pay less and maybe works maybe not shrug shoulders and walk away.
It's Guaranteed by a certain day (next working day) and the reason its so successful is it guarantee's the delivery time i.e before 1 pm and 9am if you really need something quickly. It's treated in a different way its scanned at every point and in a sealed bag for security. I hope this explains.

I've been in contact with the Government recently and always send Special Delivery yes it cost me more but i don't get some pratt saying oh! not us we didn't receive it.

Last edited:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I worked in the Irish post office for more than 20 years - it doesn't make a blind bit of difference what you pay for your item - it will get delivered when it gets delivered. There is no reason, with modern technology, why every single item of mail cannot be barcoded and tracked - but that would upset the business model of the post office bosses.

This is what you get when you privatise a social service - privateers gouging those who need to use the service for whatever they can get out of them.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
We are the Portslade side, hence, we could collect our undelivered mail from there.
Lucky for you then there is only one road that could be. I Know someone from that Office and it's a nightmare not enough Posties lot's have left they are allegedly being bullied by senior management and the CEO has resigned. Lot's of agency and temps. FWIW I live in the Lancing area and have just this morning received a Father Day Card today. It caused problems as i thought it would have been nice to receive a card from my youngest.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I worked in the Irish post office for more than 20 years - it doesn't make a blind bit of difference what you pay for your item - it will get delivered when it gets delivered. There is no reason, with modern technology, why every single item of mail cannot be barcoded and tracked - but that would upset the business model of the post office bosses.

This is what you get when you privatise a social service - privateers gouging those who need to use the service for whatever they can get out of them.

Barcoding of all items is a project being worked on at the moment.

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
That will massively slow up the delivering process with postie having to scan everything. But I’m sure management know what they are doing 🙄

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
That will massively slow up the delivering process with postie having to scan everything. But I’m sure management know what they are doing 🙄
Postie wouldn't have scan everything - wouldn't have to scan anything at all - it would be done on arrival in the local office. The overwhelming majority of the delays (99.999%) are caused between dispatch from the office of origin and the arrival at the delivery office. If an item arrives in a delivery office it will get delivered that day. The only exception is when something gets mishandled in the office and that delays an absolutely tiny number of items each day.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Postie wouldn't have scan everything - wouldn't have to scan anything at all - it would be done on arrival in the local office. The overwhelming majority of the delays (99.999%) are caused between dispatch from the office of origin and the arrival at the delivery office. If an item arrives in a delivery office it will get delivered that day. The only exception is when something gets mishandled in the office and that delays an absolutely tiny number of items each day.

This.

There’s a bit of misunderstanding around about the difference between tracking data that would be made available to customers, as part of them purchasing a premium product, and increasing internal tracking that would provide valuable data for process design perspective but also for when someone raises a complaint and an investigation needs to be done as to where the item is.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Up until a few weeks ago we had a great postie for years (ST holder too), he delivered every day and always first thing too.

Since he's left and we no longer get post everyday and when we do it's always late in the afternoon.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Err no !! everything that arrived in the local office had to be scanned so after it was the customer would receive a email txt message to say we have received your item this added a considerable amount of time to starting the delivery. So yes it would/should be delivered that which would prioritized as it is traceable.
The whole point of scanning in is to inform people their item is at the local office.
All TRACKED items are scanned IN. Most 2d barcodes with square box are scanned at door step. Recorded with the Orange labels are NOT tracked. Also you get 24 or 48 on them this is obvious.
This is in England of course .

Last edited:

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
That wouldn’t work as it would only prove it’s reached the office.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here