Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Royal Albion hotel on fire, again.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think the Royal Albion was already a ‘budget’ hotel as it was owned by Britannia Hotels, one of the worst chains in the country. They seem to pick up old hotels and then spend as little as possible in maintaining them. I hope that is not the cause of this blaze. I see one of the local MPs described them as a slum landlord this morning.

It should be a prime site for a hotel. If they can save the facade maybe someone can rebuild it as a hotel which the city can be proud of.
You'd hope the local planning department would insist on a like For like facade At the very least.

That'll be a brown envelope and something as fugly as the Ramada then (or whatever it's called this week)

steel frame, bit of obs, clad in chinese 'stuff'

Last edited:

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
We drove mack up to Manchester this morning from Brighton and all up the M23 and onto the M25 there was a steady stream (counted at least 5) of Surrey Fire Brigade appliances heading south, presumably to assist either at the hotel or to cover our local appliances and Firefighters.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
This is really sad to read about. Hope all are safe & as well as can be. Well done to all responders. I bloody hope at least the facade of the building can be saved. Brighton & Hove is a beautiful part of the world…makes these scenes all the sadder. To all impacted: I hope you’re okay. To Brighton & Hove: The best of my thoughts.
You would they would rebuild it in a similar style, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Whilst very sad for such an iconic building I always think it's an opportunity to rebuild and create something new. That building is gone, but it wasn't really very nice inside and had been run into the ground. Fingers crossed it's an opportunity to build something iconic AND useful.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You'd hope the local planning department would insist on a like For like facade At the very least.

That'll be a brown envelope and something as fugly as the Ramada then (or whatever it's called this week)

steel frame, bit of obs, clad in chinese 'stuff'
If they can save the facade then good. Otherwise I’d like to see some exciting iconic new architecture in its place.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
The lovely Edwardian Claremont Hotel building opposite Eastbourne Pier that was hit by a similar fire in November 2019 is still a derelict boarded up mess, hope this is not the same destination of the Royal Albion.....

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Iconic building yes, but a Britannia Hotel so probably an inside job because the inside has been left to rot for so long. Easier to burn it down and claim insurance than to actually maintain it because based on any other Britannia Hotel, maintainance is not part of their "running a hotel for dummies" book.

Should be a 5* premium hotel based on location. But it isn't

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Iconic building yes, but a Britannia Hotel so probably an inside job because the inside has been left to rot for so long. Easier to burn it down and claim insurance than to actually maintain it because based on any other Britannia Hotel, maintainance is not part of their "running a hotel for dummies" book.

Should be a 5* premium hotel based on location. But it isn't

It was a bland dump inside decades before Britannia bought it. 3* was always a huge stretch.

Such a great location, crying out for a fresh start lovely hotel.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
During lockdown I went to the big iconic hotel in Scarborough (the Grand?) the one that Hitler allegedly wanted as his base in that area had things gone his way.

it dominates the skyline but is now a Britannia. I think I spent about 2 minutes in there to use the toilet and came straight out again. What a dump. I fear it will end up with the same fate as the Royal Albion.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
During lockdown I went to the big iconic hotel in Scarborough (the Grand?) the one that Hitler allegedly wanted as his base in that area had things gone his way.

it dominates the skyline but is now a Britannia. I think I spent about 2 minutes in there to use the toilet and came straight out again. What a dump. I fear it will end up with the same fate as the Royal Albion.

The Royal Albion was crap before and during their ownership. What was the Scarborough hotel like before they bought it?

Jul 7, 2003
Britannia also have the Adelphi in Liverpool, a once grand hotel where many famous people stayed and now a real hole.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
This week we had Unite conference at the BC and a large gaming convention at the Hilton circa 3k in attendance, speaking to a contractor who works at L&G once a month and normally stays central suggested even Premier Inn wanted 390 quid per night ffs
Our work had an "awayday" in Brighton a few weeks back - PI wanted nearly £300 a night per person without breakfast - We ended up at the Ship in the end (actually not as bad as it used to be!)

Back on topic, gutted for the staff of the Albion, and for the city, it was a landmark and a half - shame it got taken over by Britannia and run into the ground, I've had friends stay there in the past and it had a somewhat sketchy reputation. Hopefully, it can be restored, and with new owners that will make it, rightfully given it's location, an absolute jewel for the city.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
If they can save the facade then good. Otherwise I’d like to see some exciting iconic new architecture in its place.

Brighton doesn't do exciting iconic architecture, it does cheap generic shite, probably faced in drab brown bricks with drab grey window frames (see every new building from the last 20 odd years).

It's as if the council and developers are trying to recreate communist East Berlin on the south coast of England.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Let's have a Frank Gehry masterpiece - remember the proposals for the King Alfred under the last Labour Council?
My thoughts exactly. Yes I do remember the proposals as I was quite active in the campaign to get the planning permission. I also remember the subsequent Tory council pulling the plug on the scheme.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Brighton doesn't do exciting iconic architecture, it does cheap generic shite, probably faced in drab brown bricks with drab grey window frames (see every new building from the last 20 odd years).

It's as if the council and developers are trying to recreate communist East Berlin on the south coast of England.
I quite like the Van Allen

IMG_1209.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here