Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rows of empty seats in Doha

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
In reality, there are hardly any countries where a World Cup would sell out with hardly anyone coming from abroad, and Qatar sure as hell ain’t one

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Baffling - the FIFA site since the ‘resale’ date in September has had the odd games but nothing the last month or so. I know plenty of England fans out there also looking for tickets for other games 🤷🏻‍♂️

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Are you joking? Even the announced attendance was 75% of capacity and you could see loads of empty seats, especially in the upper tiers.
It was sold out though.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Capacity was 68,000 attendance

Actual attendance 45,000
Khalifa International Stadium, also known as National Stadium, is a multi-purpose stadium in Doha, Qatar, as part of the Doha Sports City complex, which also includes Aspire Academy, Hamad Aquatic Centre, and the Aspire Tower. It is named after Khalifa bin Hamad Al Thani, Qatar's former Emir. Wikipedia
Capacity: 45,416

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Are you joking? Even the announced attendance was 75% of capacity and you could see loads of empty seats, especially in the upper tiers.
I know a couple of people there who said it was pretty full. People were late as they couldn't get in

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Khalifa International Stadium, also known as National Stadium, is a multi-purpose stadium in Doha, Qatar, as part of the Doha Sports City complex, which also includes Aspire Academy, Hamad Aquatic Centre, and the Aspire Tower. It is named after Khalifa bin Hamad Al Thani, Qatar's former Emir. Wikipedia
Capacity: 45,416
BBC were wrong then. They definitely said 68,000.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just waited 2 hours to get on - only 3 games with tickets, the top 2 disabled only. Spain v Japan had cat 3

Attachments

• 71CDD408-1E90-4E8D-9000-587004A354AA.png
    71CDD408-1E90-4E8D-9000-587004A354AA.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 26

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well, for Senegal v The Netherlands they’ve just announced an attendance that is more than the ground actually holds, while everyone on tv can see it’s half empty
Now in this instance, and in this instance only mind, I'm going to say so what? We do it all the time at the Amex, announce an 'attendance' figure that occasionally is only on nodding terms with with actual attendance figure. It's all about sales y'know, not how many people actually attended. Everybody does it. Don't complain. Granted the Qataris may have taken it to the next level, but hey, maybe they did sell more tickets than the actual capacity, gotta make the money back somehow. (Paul Barber is watching with interest as we speak).

So in this case Qatar and England are both guilty, and all those people who love to draw equivalences between the two nations and the two cultures can sit there nodding smugly, They were right all along.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Now in this instance, and in this instance only mind, I'm going to say so what? We do it all the time at the Amex, announce an 'attendance' figure that occasionally is only on nodding terms with with actual attendance figure. It's all about sales y'know, not how many people actually attended. Everybody does it. Don't complain. Granted the Qataris may have taken it to the next level, but hey, maybe they did sell more tickets than the actual capacity, gotta make the money back somehow. (Paul Barber is watching with interest as we speak).

So in this case Qatar and England are both guilty, and all those people who love to draw equivalences between the two nations and the two cultures can sit there nodding smugly, They were right all along.
Not comparable. Brighton play 19 league matches a season and the only time the attendance was as sparse as the Qatar games have been was the Brentford match when hardly anyone could get there. There may be up to a few thousand knocked off but never a quarter or half a stadium fewer than announced. In addition, a WC is supposed to be special, this one clearly isn't.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I’m tempted to quote my dear old mum and say two wrongs don’t make a right. I don’t agree with pretendences here either. Actual bums on seats gives a far better idea of interest in any given game.

However, Brighton have never actually released a figure that’s greater than the actual capacity and, to my cynical brain, it suggests a real lack of honesty.

I like World Cups and I’m an England fan but any small thing that points to this tournament being a failure can only be a good thing in the long run,

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Not comparable. Brighton play 19 league matches a season and the only time the attendance was as sparse as the Qatar games have been was the Brentford match when hardly anyone could get there. There may be up to a few thousand knocked off but never a quarter or half a stadium fewer than announced. In addition, a WC is supposed to be special, this one clearly isn't.
Blimey, it was meant as a light-hearted, tongue-in-cheek post, I wasn't seriously drawing comparisons. And for the avoidance of doubt, no, I don't really think Paul Barber is contemplating selling more tickets than the Amex capacity in case someone picks up on that.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
BBC were wrong then. They definitely said 68,000.
In the original bid Qatar promised to redevelop the Khalifa International Stadium and increase capacity to 68000.

Looks like they reneged and under delivered.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Update on pretendances, capacities and attendances.
It seems there are two figures for the capacity of each ground. Whilst a ground may hold 30,000 the capacity is capped at 27,000 to allow for TV gantries and so forth. Once these are installed tickets are sold for seats now available. So that 27,000 may now raise to 28,000.
This I understand as I purchased a late ticket at the Amex for SA v Japan (Rugby) when a few seats became available once the camera rigs were installed in less room than expected.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Ticket touting must be right up there in Qatar with women‘s rights and homosexuality. 🙈

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here