Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roving reporter -final fling at Oxford

OK - time for reflection now I'm on a proper computer again. Firstly, thanks to the people who offered to upload photos but I didn't get chance to take any with all the goals going in during the first half and just plain forgot after that. Sorry!

Glad you liked the commentary - just sorry it couldn't have been better news. Difficult to know what to make of it really. As embarrasing as it was, we were far from out classed. Oxford probably had 6 efforts on goal and scored 4. Martin only had 1 save to make. Not sure if that is good or bad news. But as a unit, the defence were shocking. Mayo looked like the player he was when he was being slated. Berthe showed a few touches and made a couple of good tackles but had a nightmare first half. As I said, positioning was my main concern. When one cross came in from the right wing, Tank picked up one striker. Dodd was marking the other one with Berthe playing sort of a sweeper role between the 2 marking space. Wouldn't have been a problem if the left winger wasn't behind Dodd meaning he was marking 2 players whilst Berthe marked space. I would be tempted to give him another half on Saturday if we don't have any new triallists ready to play.

Tank looked like he was missing not having a steady partner and wasn't as commanding as usual. Dodd took all the corners but didn't do anything outstanding in defence.

For the third friendly I have seen, Chippy looked well below his best. Nicolas played like the player we saw at the end of last season - fairly anonymous. Martin may or may not have been at fault for the 3rd goal (Too far for me to judge if it was his ball or not) but would have walked for the penalty in a real game as he was last man. Only had one other save to make.

Now for the plus points. Jarret, Hammond, Knight and CKR played well and linked well. CKR is still a bit raw and chose the wrong option a couple of times but again impressed with his power and shooting ability. Leon worked extremely hard and looked like hte Leon of old - unfortunately this includes the bad side to his game and it appears he either stamped on or kicked at a player on the ground and may well have been sent off in a real game or if Gallacher had seen it properly. Difficult for us to see but the Oxford fans reacted straight away. And, setting myself up for flaming, McCammon showed yet again why he is not a Championship Player. As at Le Havre and Lewes before he scored, he found himself in a virtual one on one and never even got a shot away. He fell over in a comical manner twice (As did Berthe btw) which at least added a bit of entertainment.

As I say, difficult to know how depressed to be. For me, the same starting line up with Blaney and a decent Left Back and Centre Back would be a good, competitive team. Chippy and Alexis need to find their form. The question is, can MM find the required players before Derby? The defence needs pace badly or else we will be exposed time and time again.

In summary, we were far from outplayed. We had more chances than they did, more corners than they did and possession was probably about 50-50. The scoreline flattered Oxford but was probably what our defensive unit deserved on the night. Unfair on the rest of the team though.

Get on the phone Mark!

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Just got back.

Berthe is a clown. He looks very skillful, but trying to dribble the ball out of defence when he is the last man is not going to do my heart any good this season.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Yorkie said:
Fatboy said Butters brought him down :eek:

No, Butters decided not to head the ball clear, and left it so the attacker rushed in one on one with Martin, lost the ball, and dived.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Great effort TGC, much appreciated - NSC at its best.

It's sad about this guy Berthe, it sounds like he had a mare. Unless we get Fish the best option might be Elphick...

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Berthe wasn't terrible. He looked like he could be a decent player with a bit of coaching, or when he is not playing for a contract and trying so hard to impress.

He made Butters looked tiny, so was obviously good in the air.

Not sure centre back is his best position, he had a shot from about 30 yards which went just over the bar.

Jury still out.

Sigull

'Arte et Marte'
Jul 16, 2003
Bracklesham Bay
The Great Cornholio said:
I'll reply to this but can't be too interactive as it takes ages to post. Yes. it is a PDA with a phone built in. It connects to the net via GPRS.

And real Is does not like my handwriting! You'll have to work out what I meant before spell check changes it all :)

My B/day Soon and I want one that includes Sat nav
Your bits are looking OK what make of PDA is it?

Sigull said:
My B/day Soon and I want one that includes Sat nav
Your bits are looking OK what make of PDA is it?

No good as it is an Orange M1000 and is only available to business customers who buy 50 or more. However, it is basically a rebadged O2 XDAII. It is a Pocket PC running Windows Mobile 2003. It has bluetooth and GRPS as well as acting like a phone. It runs Pocket Internet Explorer, Pocket Word and Pocket Excel as well as having a camera built in (Not even a megapixel though)

It's a very clever piece of kit but a pain in the arse to use. My advice would be to buy one of the PDA's that has Sat Nav built in for around £200. The XDA will set you back over £400 as well as tieing you in to a contract.

Oh, and entering text on it is a REAL pain in the arse. You can opt for handwriting recognition which I tried for the first half of tonight but it produces weird effects. Some are quite funny though as when I said that my handwriting was poor, it changed it to poo. The other option is a mini keyboard that appears in the bottom part of the screen. They keys are tiny and stabbing at it with a stylus is hit and miss at the best of times. When you are trying to watch a football match at the same time, it is damn near impossible. And if you miss the space key by a couple of mm, it will wipe out everything you have typed.:angry:

Sigull

'Arte et Marte'
Jul 16, 2003
Bracklesham Bay
The Great Cornholio said:
No good as it is an Orange M1000 and is only available to business customers who buy 50 or more. However, it is basically a rebadged O2 XDAII. It is a Pocket PC running Windows Mobile 2003. It has bluetooth and GRPS as well as acting like a phone. It runs Pocket Internet Explorer, Pocket Word and Pocket Excel as well as having a camera built in (Not even a megapixel though)

Thanks GC

I'll take up your advice

On a more reflective note........

For the last couple of seasons I have always been a bit edgy about the forthcoming season, but for some reason, (I have just received my season ticket) I particualry feel more excited about this season, perhaps that we remained in the same league for two seasons for about 6 years, who knows, but, inspite of the poor recent results, I reckon we're going to have a cracking season, we'll get Falmer and we'll stay up...... any one settle for that ?????

:bounce: :flameboun :clap:

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
fatboy said:
No, Butters decided not to head the ball clear, and left it so the attacker rushed in one on one with Martin, lost the ball, and dived.

Misread your text then which said 'Butters cocked up big time and gave away a penalty'.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Yorkie said:
Misread your text then which said 'Butters cocked up big time and gave away a penalty'.

And there was me bollocking him for giving away a penalty before he had chance to speak!!

:lolol:

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Perry Milkins said:
Race is the big fella panicking?

No, not panicking. Just looking forward to knowing who he will be playing with and soon!

He hasnt been well the past few days and he was supposed to be rested yesterday, but as that Fish didnt turn up he played.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Race said:
No, not panicking. Just looking forward to knowing who he will be playing with and soon!

He hasnt been well the past few days and he was supposed to be rested yesterday, but as that Fish didnt turn up he played.

Good stuff..hope it was not your cooking that made him Tom and Dick

:ohmy:

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Perry Milkins said:
Good stuff..hope it was not your cooking that made him Tom and Dick

:ohmy:

Dont be silly..........hes got man flu :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here