Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rottingdean Pub bans office Christmas Parties

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The Queen vic is a decent pub. In rottingdean at the moment the white horse is geared up more for chantelle from accounts (having had the misfortune of being there one night when the year 1 mums at a local school had their chase anything in trousers night)

The Plough has a good restaurant area so would be a more calm social event

The black horse has gone very weird with a landlord who changes his mind/personality every 5 mins and has a very cliquey clientele

So something for everyone

You say something for everyone...but NONE of the pubs serve any Craft Beers. A serious oversight.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We have ours at Marriott bath road in Heathrow Friday! Couple of palace gags there for anyone wants to crash it and abuse them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Is this what passes for news in the Argus these days ?

Jesus.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
local-shop.jpg

the local shop in league of gentlemen was based on the sweet shop next to the plough.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
How's The Coach House these days? I used to work in there around 1985.

you still get told off by Dot for swearing.

love the coach house, dont really bother with any of the other rottingdean pubs.

That said...

Jim F turned the Queen Vic around and bought some life back into it, these fellas have changed it but I went down the other week, really nice cheese board and pork scratchings and harveys. the pork scratchings were in an enamel bowl and the cheese was on a piece of slate but by Brighton standards of pretension, its very low key. Man of Harveys is right, back in the day it was the old boys choice of pub in the village, and by far the quietest.

I cannot imagine for a minute, any office party in the world pitching up there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
you still get told off by Dot for swearing.

love the coach house, dont really bother with any of the other rottingdean pubs.

That said...

Jim F turned the Queen Vic around and bought some life back into it, these fellas have changed it but I went down the other week, really nice cheese board and pork scratchings and harveys. the pork scratchings were in an enamel bowl and the cheese was on a piece of slate but by Brighton standards of pretension, its very low key. Man of Harveys is right, back in the day it was the old boys choice of pub in the village, and by far the quietest.

I cannot imagine for a minute, any office party in the world pitching up there.

Dot was after my time I think. It was owned by Margo Henderson and Sam Kemp and their son Chris used to work as the chef. Loved working there as a youth and Margo and Sam were two of the nicest people I've ever worked for. Hopefully going to pay my first visit for a long time over Xmas with [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION]

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Dot was after my time I think. It was owned by Margo Henderson and Sam Kemp and their son Chris used to work as the chef. Loved working there as a youth and Margo and Sam were two of the nicest people I've ever worked for. Hopefully going to pay my first visit for a long time over Xmas with [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION]

Looking forward to it! Christmas Day at The Coach House is a tradition that I enjoy enormously.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
You can't blame the pub if they managed to turn a news story into an advert. Well done to both for managing to get their key messages across.

As i understand it, this was part of a bigger article in the trade press that the argus picked up on.

As for the coach house, I like that place too. Have had many functions, meetings etc in the upper room there. Dot is fantastic and her family certainly know their clientele.

As for craft beer someone mentioned earlier, with up to 10 ales or ciders on, some from microbreweries, the vic does a good job. The Spanish in saltdean did do craft beers after its refurb. Dont know if it still does and only went once

TT Landlord, The Elixir Of The Ouse, draught perry for when things get stupid - a fine selection. I feel a seasonal visit coming on.

It's still slightly unsettling though: at my Rottingdean drinking peak some years back, no-one under the age of 60 would have been seen dead in there.

Was that during the time that the Queen Vic was run by Ron Copper, the bass singer with the legendary Copper Family who are pivotal players in the survival of traditional English folk singing?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
You can't blame the pub if they managed to turn a news story into an advert. Well done to both for managing to get their key messages across.

As i understand it, this was part of a bigger article in the trade press that the argus picked up on.

As for the coach house, I like that place too. Have had many functions, meetings etc in the upper room there. Dot is fantastic and her family certainly know their clientele.

As for craft beer someone mentioned earlier, with up to 10 ales or ciders on, some from microbreweries, the vic does a good job. The Spanish in saltdean did do craft beers after its refurb. Dont know if it still does and only went once

I also went to The Spanish once, and once only after the refurb.

Not for me.

You're right about The Vic being the best pub for beer in the village, but it's still all a bit ale heavy, not a lot of keg, loads of cask.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Does anyone know which pub Chantelle is going to be in, and does it matter I dont work in sales ???

She's all geared up and ready. It doesn't need to be Christmas either. I'll add you to her list. No wonder she works in accounts, keeping count is most troublesome.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here