Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rory McIlroy

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
he's not the absolute best though is he....he's not even in the top 5 currently

Ronnie O'Sullivan isn't currently in the top 5 in snooker's world rankings either. I think most people kind of realise he is the number 1 in reality though. When McIlroy and Woods bring their A game in golf, they are comfortably ahead of everyone else.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Loads of people can make a plastic bottle only Rory can play golf like he does

Yes, it is a skill, but worthy of earning £150m from Nike? Imagine what that money could do for people who actually make the product that sells. I'd be embarrassed to earn that much. I'd go the whole circle and re-invest Nike money in to paying their workers a living wage/health insurance and what-have-you.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
If I was Rory McIlroy, I'd be more embarrassed about picking up a pay cheque for that dreadful Santander advert where he goes round someone's house and starts eating their fruit while the house owner is painting the contents of the fruit bowl.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
If I was Rory McIlroy, I'd be more embarrassed about picking up a pay cheque for that dreadful Santander advert where he goes round someone's house and starts eating their fruit while the house owner is painting the contents of the fruit bowl.

Yeah I'd be embarrassed banking that cheque too :rolleyes:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
That bint who won the skeleton at Sochi - head first down a fecking ice tunnel on a tin tray - takes guts, skill, determination and physical fitness - how much wonga did they give her for being best in the world?

Ah, but that's the olyimpics, I hear you say, that for amateurs ...... hmmmmm

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yes, it is a skill, but worthy of earning £150m from Nike? Imagine what that money could do for people who actually make the product that sells. I'd be embarrassed to earn that much. I'd go the whole circle and re-invest Nike money in to paying their workers a living wage/health insurance and what-have-you.

Nope probably not worthy, BOF. But when playing well, he is a walking advert for Nike in a game that can take between 5 and 6 hours to play, so I can see why they go for it. But the money in golf nowadays is obscene but clearly sponsors think it is worth it as it is showing no sign of reducing.

But as a player, Rory is arguably more naturally talented than the shagger, I mean Tiger. And it will not be long before he is back as world No 1.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That bint who won the skeleton at Sochi - head first down a fecking ice tunnel on a tin tray - takes guts, skill, determination and physical fitness - how much wonga did they give her for being best in the world?

Ah, but that's the olyimpics, I hear you say, that for amateurs ...... hmmmmm

Being the best in the world in a minority sport is never going to make you rich. I'm not disputing the skill and bravery involved, but nobody gives a toss about watching the skeleton, except for a bit of mild passing interest once every 4 years or so.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
This is a bloody stupid argument.

Nothing is equal at any level of nature, is it any wonder that humans have come up with a monetary system that isn't equal :shrug:

Yes it's f**cked up, but there really is no point in worrying about it. When someone like Rory is lucky enough to live a life of luxury because he was born with a talent and then worked hard enough to to take advantage of it I say good luck to him.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If he wins the tournament, he deserves his prize money. It's not his fault the sponsor is willing to put up such a hefty prize fund. No particular fan of golf, but pleased to see McIlroy doing well again after some people rather foolishly started writing him off last year. Cream tends to rise to the top eventually when you are really gifted at your job.

Same for footballers, if Joe Public are mug enough to pay for sky, they pay the clubs and they pay the players. What exactly is the difference.

Just for clarification , McIlroy won't get $6mil for winning . $6mil is the total amount of tournament prize money .
Like all pro golf tournaments the winner gets 18% of the pot , in this event that'll be $1,080,000 .

I think he will earn more than $6m this year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here