Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooneys scan date bought froward!

only1robbiereinalt

Oct 7, 2005
Breaking news on the BBC

Also, if Rooney can't go then we can get a replacement in before the deadline without worrying if Rooney was going to be fit for the later stages.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I hope this is so they have the option of ruling him OUT before the tournament starts, and drafting in Defoe. Poinltess carrying a crock through the whole tournament - its time people accepted he AIN'T gonna make it, so we can finally draw a line under this circus.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Easy 10 said:
I hope this is so they have the option of ruling him OUT before the tournament starts, and drafting in Defoe. Poinltess carrying a crock through the whole tournament - its time people accepted he AIN'T gonna make it, so we can finally draw a line under this circus.

Agreed

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Good idea bringing the scan date forward.We'll definitely know by then.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If (by some miracle) this scan on the 7th shows that he can resume training IMMEDIATELY, then fine. Take him. He'll have a couple of weeks to get some fitness back with about half the tournament still to go. Anything less than that though, or if they come out with something like "he may be able to resume training in 7-10 days time", then just FORGET it. We'll go with what we've got plus Defoe and make do with it.

I fear Sven will still take him with some deranged notion of hoping to play him in the Quarters, when anyone with half a brain would know that rushing him back for that would be madness - we'd see half the player he usually is, and thats if he doesn't break down again (which, lets face it, would probably happen).

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Easy 10 said:
Poinltess carrying a crock through the whole tournament - its time people accepted he AIN'T gonna make it

I would rather Wayne be there for experience, team morale etc than bloody Phillip Neville, Stuart Downing and some of the other clowns

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
gvce26 said:
I would rather Wayne be there for experience, team morale etc than bloody Phillip Neville, Stuart Downing and some of the other clowns
I'm sorry, but this notion Sven peddles to everyone that the teams morale will somehow be lifted if Rooney is with them, hobbling about trying to get fit, is a complete and utter MYTH. We'd all love Rooney to be fit and ready to play a part obviously. But I'd be willing to wager that the rest of the squad would be FAR happier knowing one way or the other on June 7th whether he can play a part or not. If not, then we've just got to DEAL with it. If he can start training following the result of that scan and has a REALISTIC chance of playing a part then fine.

But the worst possible scenario is the continuation of this whole "will-he won't-he make it" circus that frankly threatens to overshadow the entire campaign. "Morale" my arse. The rest of the squad would FAR rather get on with it knowing one way or the other if Rooney can take a part - and if after that scan on the 7th its still up in the air (which it will be), then it will just perpetuate this ridiculous charade.

I say again - if Rooney can't start kicking a ball in training after that scan on the 7th, then FORGET it and get on with what we've got for christs sake.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I know we've disagreed in the past over Sven Easy, but I have to say I think you're spot on with this - including, IMO, the prognosis the Rooney won't be fit.

And those who say "Ah well a half-fit Rooney will be better than nothing" are simply WRONG! A half-fit Rooney may indeed be a better player than say a fully-fit Mark McGammon and he would be a handful in a League Two clash - but against the best players in the world in the latter stages of a World Cup? No way.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
he will be fine. united/england were always going to over estimate the extent of the injury as not to raise hopes. also COMPLETELY confuses the opposition as to whether expect crouch or rooney to play.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
only1robbiereinalt said:
Breaking news on the BBC

How many months pregnant is he?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Re: Re: Rooneys scan date bought froward!

PILTDOWN MAN said:
How many months pregnant is he?
Looking at him, it can't be long now. And with twins too.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
It was always insane having a scan on the 14th, AFTER the FIFA deadline for replacements. This way, we can forget Rooney and draft in Defoe.

There's no way we can go into a World Cup with a guy who probably won't play, a recovering Owen, Crouch (the supposed 'change things around near the end' substitute) and untested Walcott as our only striking options.

I had hopes initially, but let's face it – Rooney ain't going. Especially now they've let slip the break is on the joint, not just the bone: these take even longer to heal.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
A report on the Manchester United website said the fact that a joint was involved meant it was "an injury which takes longer to heal".

That news - and the fact that the scan has been brought forward to before the deadline to calling up a replacement - means the development is being seen as negative news for the England striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here