Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooney Retires........

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It would appear through not reading the BBC article I have got this wrong but I do believe that it is highly feasible that GS told him wanted him to be involved but wouldnt be picked to play which then persuaded him to take the decision to retire. This means he keeps face as does GS from the press calling for him to be picked.

FFS man! Let it go. It doesn't 'appear' you got it wrong, you DID get it wrong.

Here's an clip from Phil Neville (who knows him very well) saying TWO DAYS AGO, that this was probably coming. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05czvkg

He's said he is focussing on Everton. He's playing European football, not getting any younger and already got all the records for England. It makes PERFECT sense for him to come out now and say 'You know what? I'm done."

I'm as cynical as they come, but even for ME, it's a bit far fetched to conclude he's been told he wasn't part of Southgate's England plans so decided to get in early with his retirement announcement...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How you can keep a 14 year fishing trip up is beyond me.
He's the best. I'd love to see a video of him at his keyboard with a beer and bowl of popcorn laughing his socks off as we all put our hair out.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A very old fashioned approach maybe, but I believe that no player should 'retire' from international duty. It should simply be a priveledge to be asked to represent your country at any sport, and you should make yourself available for selection until your country no longer needs you..

Certainly it was frowned upon until comparitively recently, I can remember the outcry when the likes of Paul Scholes and Jamie Carragher announced that they no longer wanted to be selected . Since then many players have done the same thing.

It reminds me of a famous incident at the end of the World Cup winning party of 1966. Geoff Hurst aafter scoring his famous hat trick in the final, said cheerio Alf, l'll see you at the next game, to which Sir Alf nonchalantly replied, yes if you are picked!

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
As has been mentioned, was probably told he would not be first choice, so decided to retire at the grand old age of 31. Can hardly claim burnout, as he rarely played more than 30 league games a season for Man U.

Remember him criticising England supporters on camers when they booed the team off after drawing with Algeria. Also remember him kissing the United badge when he scored against Everton, on more than one occasion.

May be England's top scorer, but has an unpleasant side to his character.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I still can't believe people say he was "overrated". He maybe never met our expectations as England Fans, but I am not sure any outfield players has done so consistently in all my 40+ years of watching England. Our expectations were so high because of how he burst onto the scene and an international tournament specifically, and how he performed in the domestic league season after season.. I think he would have got in most international teams most of the time over his international career. Mr Messi doesn't seem to set the international scene alight in the same way that he has done in domestic leagues - maybe something to do with the players he plays with or the quality of the teams he plays against. Rooney's biggest fault it appears to me has been that he not quite as good as Messi

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here