Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ronaldo to play for Spain?

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Apparently so. Spain are willing to pay Portugal £160 million as Ronaldo can pass as a Spanish citizen? Shows there isn't much loyalty in football anymore if it happens.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I don't think that can happen. Don't FIFA'S rules stop you from representing two countries?

The exceptions to the rule that I can think of are that a player can go on to represent a successor state (i.e. people that have played for Sudan can now play for the new country 'South Sudan'). Or if the original country that the player represented ceases to exist (people that played for Czechoslovakia went on to play for the Czech Republic or Slovakia). Clearly this is not the case with Portugal.

D

Deleted member 18477

Apparently so. Spain are willing to pay Portugal £160 million as Ronaldo can pass as a Spanish citizen? Shows there isn't much loyalty in football anymore if it happens.

errr what? once you've played for a country thats it! you can represent one country at under 21 level and another at full international level...

I don't think that can happen. Don't FIFA'S rules stop you from representing two countries?

The exceptions to the rule that I can think of are that a player can go on to represent a successor state (i.e. people that have played for Sudan can now play for the new country 'South Sudan'). Or if the original country that the player represented ceases to exist (people that played for Czechoslovakia went on to play for the Czech Republic or Slovakia). Clearly this is not the case with Portugal.

Yes absolutely. I call bullshit.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Are you on drugs??? It is impossible to do that. Ronaldo would not want to play for his countries rivals and neighbours. God knows where you heard this

D

Deleted member 18477

and spain have no money anyway as a country lol!

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham

I dont think you should believe the bigger boys in the playground.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not 01 April today is it?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
cock off

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
Bearing in mind that Sepp "corrupt" Blatter is still in charge of FIFA, reckon it could happen if Blatter was persuaded by a rather large brown envelope!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The usual course of action now will be for the OP to say that he knew it was a wind-up and, ha ha, everybody fell for it! Better that than admitting you're a bit of a gullible idiot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here