Rome? Barcelona or Madrid?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Hi

I have got two free flights to use by november and my boyf and I have narrowed it down to the above three. He fancies Rome but I was told its expensive? anyone been any recommendations out of those three.

Also interested in Salzburg?

thanks in advance o friendly ones

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Went to Barcelona in June and it was wonderful, loads to see. Not too expensive either, except on Las Ramblas. Paid about £4 for a beer there, but just a couple of streets away it was less than £2! It was good beer though.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
caz99 said:
Hi

I have got two free flights to use by november and my boyf and I have narrowed it down to the above three. He fancies Rome but I was told its expensive? anyone been any recommendations out of those three.

Also interested in Salzburg?

thanks in advance o friendly ones

Took the missus to Salzburg in October last year, and it was brilliant. Lots of snow, lots of candles, very romantic = loads of sex.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Looks like Salzberg takes it then!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I've only been to Barcelona on that list with the Mrs and have to say it was absolutely brilliant. Was there 3 nights, decent bars , quality restaurants, the city had a real buzz about it. Would def go back one day.
Watch yourself down las rambles though , lots of people on money making schemes which seem good but you can easily get sucked in and find yourself in a situation.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Can't go wrong with either Rome or Barcelona. Top stadiums, good museums, outstanding restaurants and plenty to see in both (Rome just edges it, for me - I've been to both a couple of times and Rome just seems to have something about it, an attitude and confidence which I've never seen anywhere else).

Madrid's a great city aswell, but it reminds me of London - a big, working city rather than the great 'tourist' cities that the other two are, though the Prado is great and it's got some top restaurants (and the Bernabau!)

Can't speak for Salzburg - never been.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Been to Barcelona and Madrid.

Barcelona is great if appreciate the Catalan culture, bars, seafront, Ramblas. Sagrada Familia (whopping great big church they have been building for 120 years, and are only halfway through) is very impressive. Nou Camp is awesome.

Madrid is great for walking round, museums and art galleries are great (suggest the Thijssen if you had to pick one), lovely big park in the middle of the city. The old Gypsy quarter is best for tapas. Estadio Santiago Bernabeu is awesome, and costs 7 Euros (about £4.50) for an inside-out tour.

You can't go wrong with either, but on balance out of those two, I'd go for... Madrid.

Last edited:

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
thanks guys i must say that i am more with the spanish citys but he seems to be intent on rome.

might mention salzburg though!!;)

Josky

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Been to Madrid once, Rome and Barca twice.

Barca is about the biggest load of overrated shite you could possibly wish to visit.

Go to Rome - it is simply superb. Whoever told you that it is expensive is very much mistaken, as both times I've been there I've eaten very well for a very reasonable price, even just off somewhere like the Piazza Navona. It's such a beautiful city - I've never been anywhere that can rival it.

Madrid is really nice as well - particularly if you enjoy art galleries and historical sites as the Prado is one of the great galleries for Western European painting. It's nightlife is superb as well.

Barcelona - just rubbish. It makes me sick when anyone says Brighton could be the next Barcelona. Worthing is better than Barcelona.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Josky said:
Been to Madrid once, Rome and Barca twice.

Barca is about the biggest load of overrated shite you could possibly wish to visit.

Go to Rome - it is simply superb. Whoever told you that it is expensive is very much mistaken, as both times I've been there I've eaten very well for a very reasonable price, even just off somewhere like the Piazza Navona. It's such a beautiful city - I've never been anywhere that can rival it.

Madrid is really nice as well - particularly if you enjoy art galleries and historical sites as the Prado is one of the great galleries for Western European painting. It's nightlife is superb as well.

Barcelona - just rubbish. It makes me sick when anyone says Brighton could be the next Barcelona. Worthing is better than Barcelona.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Rome is one of the world's great cities especially in terms of tourists.

It;s more more things to see in a 100 yards than Barcelona and Madrid. The city has so much Roman relics, uses bits of Roman columms as traffic bollards!:lolol:

I felt party wise its only 3/10.

Barcelona is 9/10 partying, a good short trip, lots to see and do, some great architecture and design.

Madrid, considering Spain's history, not really much to see. A weekend venue. Council been working hard to get the partying going and i would give 6/10 for that.

Salzburg, great place, great scenary, nice bars and cafe's, I would go b4 XMAS to pick up the warm lights, bars againgst the ******* cold air.

LC

Last edited:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Have you considered Prague?

I'd plump for Barcelona over Madrid certainly

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
yes we considered prague too its one of the destinations we thought would you recommend that then?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Barcelona's definitely better than Madrid.

But there's nowhere else in the world quite like Rome. Expensive possibly, but I'd imagine it's a very good time of year to go (the height of summer is just way too hot). I've usually been in March, which you'd think would be pretty similar to now climate-wise.... warm and not too crowded.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports