Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Roll Up! Roll Up! Anyone Else Want To Go On Strike?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I am no economist so am interested in understanding austerity and is knock on effects.

From the outside looking in it seems that as a response to the GFC it has caused no end of problems in the UK.

Australia took an opposite tactic and tried to stimulate the economy through building programs and even stimulus payments to get people spending. We seem to have bounced back from the GFC far quicker.

I have read the suggestion that austerity was also a huge driver in Brexit for the double whammy f*** up.

Still I suspect it is all the fault of the leftie wokists. Who seem to be the latest Scape goat for your born to rule overlords.
I shouldn't quote my own post but a quick Google and scan of 'austerity uk' does not make for pretty reading.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I was more thinking of plastics, metal and glass going into landfill so you can make your point.
I’m not making a point. I want my recyclables to be recycled. That’s why I make the effort to sort through it. I was doing that 20 years ago when I lived in Switzerland and there were several recycling bins for different types of rubbish. The system also needs people to come and take it away every fortnight. That’s the bit that has changed and it’s not me that is doing anything different.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I’m not making a point. I want my recyclables to be recycled. That’s why I make the effort to sort through it. I was doing that 20 years ago when I lived in Switzerland and there were several recycling bins for different types of rubbish. The system also needs people to come and take it away every fortnight. That’s the bit that has changed and it’s not me that is doing anything different.
Appreciate that, it’s more the apparent lack of concern for the (albeit tiny) environmental impact of your action, an action that ‘the system’ will be blissfully ignorant of...while mr fox cuts his mouth on one of your landfill tins or your plastics leak toxins into the soil and waterways etc.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Appreciate that, it’s more the apparent lack of concern for the (albeit tiny) environmental impact of your action, an action that ‘the system’ will be blissfully ignorant of...while mr fox cuts his mouth on one of your landfill tins or your plastics leak toxins into the soil and waterways etc.
Believe me I have no apathy about this.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I concur with the opening posters sentiment.

I'd highlight how totally out of touch the unions are. If they keep going with the argument for inflationary rises what do they think will happen to inflation and prices. It certainly isn't going to start falling any time soon unless employers are sensible.
more out of touch than truss? or rees mogg? or bungle? sunak? the erg?

"totally out of touch", would imply an extreme at one end of a scale

would you like to moderate your adjective? or,

when you say, "I'd highlight how totally out of touch the unions are.",

do you mean, "i don't understand why unions came into being"?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm not a member of a union, I work for a company that does not encourage or mention Unions. I am on gov min holiday entitlement, have no agreed annual pay review, have " discretionary " sick pay . The owners of my High Street private limited company live in Guernsey and share £1.5 bn wealth....proof that unions work for ordinary people.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So how many World Wars have you fought in ? :facepalm:
Exactly, there were no strikes between the two WW's obvs and everyone tugged their forelocks to the bosses.

Strikes.jpg

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm in an industry in which staff have regularly gone on strike. It hasn't had much effect as it doesn't affect the 'general public' and so gets little attention.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm in an industry in which staff have regularly gone on strike. It hasn't had much effect as it doesn't affect the 'general public' and so gets little attention.
You just need to get a better job El Pres.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Nobody complained when furlough was being paid.

Whilst I do sympathise and understand times are difficult, there is nothing left in the pot.

I work for the NHS, am in a union and voted not to strike….. if that even matters.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Nobody complained when furlough was being paid.

Whilst I do sympathise and understand times are difficult, there is nothing left in the pot.

I work for the NHS, am in a union and voted not to strike….. if that even matters.
But they've been claiming there's nothing left in the pot for 12 years.

Despite that, there has been enough in the pot for furlough, hs2, handing out lucrative ppe contracts to their mates, the festival of brexit, restoring the Palace of Westminster, not to mention the millions MPs claim on expenses.

Seems like there's plenty in the pot when it suits them, including when they're awarding themselves a generous pay rise

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012

Despite that, there has been enough in the pot for furlough, hs2, handing out lucrative ppe contracts to their mates, the festival of brexit, restoring the Palace of Westminster, not to mention the millions MPs claim on expenses.

Seems like there's plenty in the pot when it suits them, including when they're awarding themselves a generous pay rise

2017, sounds familiar.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So here is my own personal little rant. Mrs.Punal and I are spending Christmas abroad for the first time ever. <snip>. :rant:
Let me stop you there.

Transport strikes, our frisson with the EU, austerity....

What were you thinking? ??? :shrug:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

And so were Labour before them, our pay rise was pretty shit then as well.
Our pensions are also being buggered about with, thank goodness for the McCloud judgement.

Couldn’t agree more re MP pay rises, but IMO it doesn’t make holding the country to ransom right. I realise I’m probably the minority here, but it’s how I feel.

el punal

Let me stop you there.

Transport strikes, our frisson with the EU, austerity....

What were you thinking? ??? :shrug:
And I thought Christmas on the Isle of Wight would be ideal - I believe they can understand English, that will be useful when we order a meal or ask for directions. :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here