Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rohan Ince to go on loan?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As regards to Ince, if he does go out on loan, it's a damning indictment of the short termism at the club and the inability of the management team to develop a player that has proven to be a very effective midfielder in recent seasons and who has many years in front of him to develop further. A real shame.
No, it's really not a damning indictment.

We are in a battle for promotion, we do not have the luxury of being able to field players in the remaining games who are works in progress. If we were where Forest, or Leeds are in the table then you would be correct, but that is not where we are.

Short termist would actually be to not seize this shot at promotion, as they don't come around every season. Short termist would be to treat this season in isolation, to not take the chance to improve the club with promotion while we have it.

We need to field the strongest team, and use the opportunity to send Ince out on a loan to improve elsewhere. He then comes back to us, improved we'd hope, and progresses further with us from there.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Charlton also want to sign him on loan, they watched him play in the U21 game recently

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Ince is not reliable enough currently for a promotion chasing side. Give him some game time elsewhere, I still think he has a lot of developing to do even to become a Championship regular, very naive player.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I'm afraid I'm one of the few (seemingly) on here who is not entirely convinced by Ince.
Not quick enough in thought or in action and lacking a football brain to see and create a play.
5th in line for one of two places in central midfield for us

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I know absolutely nothing about the depth of the Sheff Wed or the Fulham squads but I don't think that that matters.

His role all season so far for the most part has been on the bench - He comes on when we have a lead close to the end to preserve that lead and I have no reason to doubt that anything has altered in the last month or so.

He doesn't get played because if you are chasing promotion you need more offensive players to start matches. Once you have a lead then Rohan Ince is an ideal player to bring on near the end of a match, given his strength and build.

If he went to either Sheff Wedd or Fulham, I am sure neither of them will guarantee him a regular starting line up place - And like most others have said on here, I agree, he most definatley would not be loaned to another promotion chasing side.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm afraid I'm one of the few (seemingly) on here who is not entirely convinced by Ince.
Not quick enough in thought or in action and lacking a football brain to see and create a play.
5th in line for one of two places in central midfield for us

Rowan seems like a nice enough lad, and does his best, his playing style reminds me very much of Yaya Toure, but missing one key ingredient . . . skill.

Unfortunately fifth in line for a midfield starting spot is about right, behind Kayal, Stephens, Crofts, and now Sidwell., and if Forster-Caskey were to return, then that would make it even more difficult for him.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I know it is a game of opinions, but I just can't see what the attraction is with Rohan Ince. Whenever I see him play he looks lost. The game just passes him by. I know that very occasionally he makes a great tackle and everyone stands to applaud, but a part from that he does very little.

Personally I think he is a League 1 payer at best and would not be sorry if he left the club on a permanent basis in this window.

Agree with this, he has fallen down the pecking order behind Sidwell now as well. Loan would do him good

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I think the only thing holding him back is himself. The Rohan Ince that we had when he initially broke into the team was someone who played without fear and with somewhat of a swagger. Perhaps that was youthful exuberance but either way he now seems a nervous wreck and always looks like he has a mistake in him. A loan spell would be ideal for him to regain some confidence and to find out more about his own character.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Rowan seems like a nice enough lad, and does his best, his playing style reminds me very much of Yaya Toure, but missing one key ingredient . . . skill.

I'm so very tired of this comparison. PHYSICALLY, he is like Toure and yes, they both play in midfield but Rohan has not shown himself to be anything like the rampaging box to box player that Toure is. Okay, there was Swindon and I seem to remember one other terrific long range shot but other than that, he's offered very little offensively. It's a bit like comparing Marcos Painter to John Terry.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Loan makes sense but Blackburn be ideal for him but Fulham be good for him as well but no chance Sheff wednesday as competing with us, even though is no where near good enough for us at the moment.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm so very tired of this comparison. PHYSICALLY, he is like Toure and yes, they both play in midfield but Rohan has not shown himself to be anything like the rampaging box to box player that Toure is. Okay, there was Swindon and I seem to remember one other terrific long range shot but other than that, he's offered very little offensively. It's a bit like comparing Marcos Painter to John Terry.

Admittedly this season, when he has played, he has been used in more of a holding role, protecting the back four.

Until Hughton arrived though, I would say that he was very much a box to box player, Hyppia's set up wasn't nearly so rigid, and he had a much more flexible role, and was able to express himself better.

One of the few players in the squad perhaps, who hasn't benefitted from Hughton's arrival.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Needs to go out on loan and would like to see him stay at this level. Has ability but hasn't improved much in the last couple of seasons. Needs regular games and he will not get that while we are going for promotion...

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
No problem with him being frustrated about not playing and wanting game time but I would rather he stays to fight it out for a place but he has struggled to fit into our new style.

Agreed 100% - If he wants to force his way into the team he needs to be going into training, working harder than ever and playing well in training and going knocking on the managers door and saying look I am working so much harder, I am improving all the time, why aren't I playing.

However, like I said in an earlier post. He is not an offensive player and when your chasing promotion it is offensive players you look to. The two central midfielders in Stephens and Kayal have kept him out by their good form but I think he still has a role at the club between now and May. Football is a squad game nowadays, as opposed to a team game.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If Holla is going as the rumour suggests, and if Ince goes on loan as well, we'll need to get another central midfielder in.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
If it wasn't for his size and physicality he wouldn't get anywhere near our first team squad. Without these qualities he's no more than a league one player. I'd sell or release Ince, Holla and Crofts at the end of the season whatever division we are in,. So Ince out on loan, definitely the right thing to do.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
If Holla is going as the rumour suggests, and if Ince goes on loan as well, we'll need to get another central midfielder in.

I figured we would be about set, Stephens, Kayal, Crofts, Sidwell with Towell and Harper as further back up

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I stand by my earlier comments - we will regret getting rid of Ince if this is ultimately what we chose to do. He is a fine prospect as those who witnessed him playing for Garcia will know.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I stand by my earlier comments - we will regret getting rid of Ince if this is ultimately what we chose to do. He is a fine prospect as those who witnessed him playing for Garcia will know.

I'm not sure I agree. We would still have Kayal, Stephens, Crofts, Sidwell & Towell. If Ince were to stay then he would be 5 choice at best. Perhaps a suitable recall option if injuries hit?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here