Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rogue One - A Star Wars Story Teaser Trailer

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I was assiduously avoiding this thread until I'd seen the film for myself as I didn't want to ruin it with spoilers or even trailers but last night my two sons and I went for our Christmas treat to a midnight showing of it at the BFI IMax in Waterloo. I've got to say that anyone who is still to see the film really needs to do themselves a favour and see it first time with as big a screen as possible.

The film itself started very well with a strong opening scene but then it got a little messy, flitting from location to location. It did settle down rather well after that and without giving too much away, the characters were all quite strong with excellent leads although I was expecting more of Forest Whitaker. There was plenty of humour, some great references to previous films and although the special effects were mind-blowing, it didn't detract from a very good storyline. Overall, we all loved it and will definitely be seeing it again next month when the prices drop for the 2D versions at the local cinemas. It's a bit too early to say whether it beats The Force Awakens although I suspect that in a year or so from now and given a choice between this film and TFA then I'd opt to re-watch Rogue One. It's far superior in every way to all the other prequels and probably my favourite film of 2016.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just back from Blackwood Maxime, loved the film, will probably watch it again.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I saw it in 2d and wasn't blown away. I feel i need tk see it in full on Imax 3d

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I was assiduously avoiding this thread until I'd seen the film for myself as I didn't want to ruin it with spoilers or even trailers but last night my two sons and I went for our Christmas treat to a midnight showing of it at the BFI IMax in Waterloo. I've got to say that anyone who is still to see the film really needs to do themselves a favour and see it first time with as big a screen as possible.

The film itself started very well with a strong opening scene but then it got a little messy, flitting from location to location. It did settle down rather well after that and without giving too much away, the characters were all quite strong with excellent leads although I was expecting more of Forest Whitaker. There was plenty of humour, some great references to previous films and although the special effects were mind-blowing, it didn't detract from a very good storyline. Overall, we all loved it and will definitely be seeing it again next month when the prices drop for the 2D versions at the local cinemas. It's a bit too early to say whether it beats The Force Awakens although I suspect that in a year or so from now and given a choice between this film and TFA then I'd opt to re-watch Rogue One. It's far superior in every way to all the other prequels and probably my favourite film of 2016.

Blimey .... another respected review. I shall have some of that.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I think the only duff response was.from.The Financial Times

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Someone else I know posited the idea of them redoing (or 'rebooting' - bleurgh) the original trilogy and my original response was incredulity, but I suppose it's entirely possible.

When I left the cinema (distraught) after The Force Awakens, I was convinced it was a poor re-boot of A New Hope. The structure and plot copied the original one down to a tee. For me, it was worse than episodes 1-3 as there was no creativity or originality, only recycling to please fans who just wanted a remake of the original. They ruined the character of Han Solo forever (unforgivable); I had lost my faith in the force after that film.

However, R1 has restored my belief in the force. I loved it. Amazing. I felt like I did when I saw the original trilogy. Film of the year.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I went to see it yesterday, I didn't set my expectations that high, but I really enjoyed it.

I felt the ending was a bit of a **** you, but still a good film nevertheless.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
When I left the cinema (distraught) after The Force Awakens, I was convinced it was a poor re-boot of A New Hope. The structure and plot copied the original one down to a tee. For me, it was worse than episodes 1-3 as there was no creativity or originality, only recycling to please fans who just wanted a remake of the original. They ruined the character of Han Solo forever (unforgivable); I had lost my faith in the force after that film.

However, R1 has restored my belief in the force. I loved it. Amazing. I felt like I did when I saw the original trilogy. Film of the year.
While I can see why the New Hope reboot would piss people off, why did they ruin Han Solo's character?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I saw 'Rogue One' last weekend and loved it, probably my fourth favourite Star Wars movie - but then I loved 'Force Awakens' too :)

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I didn't like Rogue one as much as I thought I would. It didn't feel like a Star Wars film as I've said earlier in the thread. Even though it was set in the past it lacked nostalgia beyond that of just putting familiar robots and spaceships together. I did give it another chance and it is visually stunning! But it is shallow and you can see that Disney did 40million dollars worth of reshoots and editing. The storyline is disjointed because of this, with the real crux of the story only being told in the last 45minutes.I then saw The Force Awakens again, it is a totally different beast. It has much more humor, a fun line in almost every scene, characters with large backgrounds and back stories, and also visually stunning scenes. Looking forward to how the story continues in Episode viii as the gloves are off and this episode can go off in its own direction. This time with characters that have been established from the first movie. Overall I have come to the conclusion that R1 is more like a fan B movie worth 100million dollars, where as the TFA is the real deal.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
While I can see why the New Hope reboot would piss people off, why did they ruin Han Solo's character?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

He saved the Galaxy but returned to being a smuggler with a dysfunctional relationship with his son and estranged partner. Why would he do that? I didn't buy it. I'd always imagined Han and Leia lived happily ever after.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I didn't like Rogue one as much as I thought I would. It didn't feel like a Star Wars film as I've said earlier in the thread. Even though it was set in the past it lacked nostalgia beyond that of just putting familiar robots and spaceships together. I did give it another chance and it is visually stunning! But it is shallow and you can see that Disney did 40million dollars worth of reshoots and editing. The storyline is disjointed because of this, with the real crux of the story only being told in the last 45minutes.I then saw The Force Awakens again, it is a totally different beast. It has much more humor, a fun line in almost every scene, characters with large backgrounds and back stories, and also visually stunning scenes. Looking forward to how the story continues in Episode viii as the gloves are off and this episode can go off in its own direction. This time with characters that have been established from the first movie. Overall I have come to the conclusion that R1 is more like a fan B movie worth 100million dollars, where as the TFA is the real deal.

I think you're majorly over thinking it all. Thought both films were decent, possibly preferred R1 slightly.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He saved the Galaxy but returned to being a smuggler with a dysfunctional relationship with his son and estranged partner. Why would he do that? I didn't buy it. I'd always imagined Han and Leia lived happily ever after.
Han wasn't interested in doing politics with a princess. Their son was a knob, and caused problems in their relationship, so he went back to doing what he was used to. Hardly that unusual.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I enjoyed it. Thought Jyn's back story was strong, with papa working for the empire, only to go into exile, but needed to complete the DS hence they answered the ultimate question from the original Star Wars - why the hell did they leave a massive great hole to fire torpedoes into!?.

The Empire hierarchy built upon fear and terror within itself like some kind of corporate oneupmanship 'I get the credit from the emperor right?' I thought was very good, building up to Vader's P65 fest in ESB. Forest Whittaker's Saw Gerrara was jarring, and almost irrelevant in a way, almost like he had too much screen time for too little impact. The dynamic between Jyn and Cassian was good, thank goodness they didn't kiss at the end, but couldn't work out why Jyn was suddenly given the importance of addressing all the leaders of the Alliance with a bit of a thought provoking 'rebellions are built on hope' yeah, whatever, of course you'd think to say that – far better to me that she would be at the back of the room muttering and scowling to herself, then storm off to get Cassian and his rag tag group of Game of Thrones extras to do the suicide mission.

Did anyone else think Darth Vader moved with a bit of a hip swing? Definitely not the stoic posturing of the Green Cross Code man. Sure, there were bits you might do different, but other than Forest's over-acting, it was a v good Star Wars film, and much needed in my opinion to reinforce that excitement Luke had when C3PO says they were with the Rebellion 'you're with the Rebellion?'. You'd imagine stories of the Rogue heroes would have soon done the rounds so that every young farm hand in the galaxy would be trading moisture vaporators for fighting the Empire. Didn't need to see Leia's face at the end though, that was a bit weird. We knew it was her, could have just left it with a shot of her back imho. Small quibbles though.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Glad I'm not the only one who was unimpressed with Forest Whittaker!

I really liked Rogue One. It feel more "free" than any Star Wars film I've seen previously. It wasn't about the Skywalker family specifically so it felt like it had a lot more room to manoeuvre.

One thing I absolutely could have done without was Vader's "choke" pun. That was up there with "NOOOOOOOOOOOO" in terms of entirely inappropriate for the character for me.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Glad I'm not the only one who was unimpressed with Forest Whittaker!

I really liked Rogue One. It feel more "free" than any Star Wars film I've seen previously. It wasn't about the Skywalker family specifically so it felt like it had a lot more room to manoeuvre.

One thing I absolutely could have done without was Vader's "choke" pun. That was up there with "NOOOOOOOOOOOO" in terms of entirely inappropriate for the character for me.

Didn't he say “Apology accepted, Captain Needa” in Empire Strikes Back just after he choked Captain Needa to death? Similar pun-like dark humour perhaps?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Didn't he say “Apology accepted, Captain Needa” in Empire Strikes Back just after he choked Captain Needa to death? Similar pun-like dark humour perhaps?

Yeah though that's a little less on the nose than "I've just been choking you and now I'm going to say the word 'choke' to drive the point home. The point being that I was just now choking you"

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Really good. Better than The Force Awakens, which I enjoyed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here